Dip Stick Location

So how are you supposed to check if you have put enough in when topping up.
By checking your digital dash

9D959230-374B-4CA2-9824-7CCE2B00664B.png

Not sure I trust Italian electronics at all, according to my dash I get 35.5mpg but it works out at 29mpg approx.

I don't get why that is an improvement anyway, have the gauge by all means but only as a better way than a low level light, keep the dipstick and sack the dipstick who dreamed it up.

Dipstick Update, topping up oil in series 8 Ducato. After adding engine oil you must then start the engine and run at normal operating temperature for several minutes, switch off engine. Wait until oil settles then turn on ignition, gauge should now move to show true reading, if it doesn't work first time start engine and repeat that's what I had to do earlier today. I hope this helps somebody in the future.
PS some excellent comedy on this post

Dipstick Update, topping up oil in series 8 Ducato. After adding engine oil you must then start the engine and run at normal operating temperature for several minutes, switch off engine. Wait until oil settles then turn on ignition, gauge should now move to show true reading, if it doesn't work first time start engine and repeat that's what I had to do earlier today. I hope this helps somebody in the future.
So more pollution with this method, who wrights their scripts.

Glad you`re sorted and thank you for coming back and updating (y)

I am however surprised that you have to run the engine for several minutes just to check oil level given all the uproar about emissions/climate change o_O

PS, there`s nothing wrong with a little comedy/humour so long as it doesn`t detract from the main topic and it helps the day go along :)

Picked up my series 8 in Dec 22 and gauge showing 90% full, it then dropped to 60% after approx 400 miles and then went back to showing 90% full after 900 miles, and has stayed on 90% full since, and now on 1500 miles!
really don’t like relying on gauges, they are a good back up, that’s all. You carn’t beat physically seeing the oil on the dip stick😉
But that’s progress I guess🙈

Backward progress in IMHO there are differences in gauge measuring despite the electronics being the same, compare any measuring devices on the shelf and they will not all be the same, take water meters in the van can't trust them, take the fuel gauge, accuracy depends on where the tank level is, full means full any less is a guess, and why have they added this level of complexity anyway when the dipstick is tried and proven to be 100% accurate and about as cheap and basic as it can be, so they have added building cost too.

Not sure I trust Italian electronics at all, according to my dash I get 35.5mpg but it works out at 29mpg approx.

I don't get why that is an improvement anyway, have the gauge by all means but only as a better way than a low level light, keep the dipstick and sack the dipstick who dreamed it up.
they never dreamt it up it’s been standard on many vehicles for years. When you look at all other liquid measurements in any vehicle they are all done this way, oil being the only one that was not. But I do agree a dipstick sufficed, but then I know folk who would not know where their dipstick is, and many others would never think to check it. This at least gives them a warning they would otherwise miss. But then I suppose anyone who does not know where their dipstick is, is a dipstick themselves. :)

But my biggest gripe with modern cars is no spare wheel, but then that’s another topic.

I've not had any other liquid level gauges in my vehicles except fuel level & oil pressure which is more important than level anyway.

Trying to think of others but my head is quite woolly this morning, not taken my drugs yet.

I've not had any other liquid level gauges in my vehicles except fuel level & oil pressure which is more important than level anyway.

Trying to think of others but my head is quite woolly this morning, not taken my drugs yet.
Adblue levels can be viewed on the dash, and others rely on warnings on your dash such as screen wash, brake fluid, and engine coolant, I can check some of them on my phone via the Mercedes App. I can even check tyre pressures, service times, and other warnings via similar technology online or in the car. I can even lock or unlock my car online. It’s a brave new world out there for us oldies, not long before they will be driving themselves. I tried using the self parking on my car, and stopped it halfway through, I simply did not trust it.

Not had or got any of those as a gauge, warning lights perhaps, I do have tyre pressure monitors on the Fiesta which are a PITA arse as it keeps saying I have a low pressure tyre but they are all the same and correct to the manual, so another gauge I don't trust.

What a complete PIA having to get engine up to operating temp before re checking oil level.
Suppose it's ok for people who just want to know they have oil in sump, rather than those that want to know how much oil.

Just as daft as not having a dip stick some manufacturers are now also doing away with sump plugs,
So the oil has to be sucked out
Would appear main dealers suck it out anyway.

Salesman chucked in a service plan on current van. I done the last few oil changes with a mate and sump plug had never been removed. I know because the sump guard had never been removed, and you can't remove plug with guard in place.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back