Delicas... some vehicles......

mine would be overturned in minutes because its so tall and yet i have fairly low clearance underneath..... but i would love to have a go in a proper 4WD on a track like this,....

mine would be overturned in minutes because its so tall and yet i have fairly low clearance underneath..... but i would love to have a go in a proper 4WD on a track like this,....

But we got Delicas to just do this, which is enough, all good

Our son took me on an off-roading track/experience, when we lived in the Midlands, for my birthday once. They had beat up Ranges Rover for people to use. They took us around the track once to advise on the best procedures then basically left you to it with a radio for help if you got stuck. We had a grand old time :)

I once took this car to the top of one of the morne mtns,two hill climbers stood with there jaws open saying it would take a chopper to get up here,i pointed to the badge and said no just a real car.
first 100 skoda.jpg

The 'Hilux' stickers are a strange choice though :unsure:

This is an identical van to mine. i've been in this van and knew the guy driving it. he had the rear end strengthened/uplifted near Halifax and had a lot of heavy equipment built into it - like the winch at the front. Its my belief that he reduced the payload so significantly as to make it hard to keep within weigh limits once it was full of "stuff". He told the garage who worked on it that it was a 3.5tonne.. mitsubishi in japan confirmed that mine is a 2.5tonne..... they were amazingly helpful once i gave them the VIN number - very efficient. i did take mine to an off road driving lesson centre in the forest of dean, and they would not allow me to use part of their route because of the height.

Always fancied 1 when we had the caravan but heard reports of them being a bit top heavy and unstable for towing.
Nice vehicles tho

This is an identical van to mine. i've been in this van and knew the guy driving it. he had the rear end strengthened/uplifted near Halifax and had a lot of heavy equipment built into it - like the winch at the front. Its my belief that he reduced the payload so significantly as to make it hard to keep within weigh limits once it was full of "stuff". He told the garage who worked on it that it was a 3.5tonne.. mitsubishi in japan confirmed that mine is a 2.5tonne..... they were amazingly helpful once i gave them the VIN number - very efficient. i did take mine to an off road driving lesson centre in the forest of dean, and they would not allow me to use part of their route because of the height.
This is my model, the JB-470. (I think he is wrong about the diff locks which is a shame). Mine has some different fixtures and fittings but what you see here is very similiar

Last edited:
Always fancied 1 when we had the caravan but heard reports of them being a bit top heavy and unstable for towing.
Nice vehicles tho
When you drive it you can feel the 'top heavy', due more to narrow axles rather than than there being much weight up there. I will be fitting PV so this might be magnified :oops: I chose it for bad roads and tracks not for 'off roading' in its true sense, so hopefully will not be an issue. It parks in a normal bay which is useful.

When you drive it you can feel the 'top heavy', due more to narrow axles rather than than there being much weight up there. I will be fitting PV so this might be magnified :oops: I chose it for bad roads and tracks not for 'off roading' in its true sense, so hopefully will not be an issue. It parks in a normal bay which is useful.

i notice the top heavy feel in cross winds.. and on the severn bridge, or indeed on the M6 Shap top i have had to slow down to very slow mph in high winds. although my JB500 is a bit longer than yours i can still park in a car park single bay.

i notice the top heavy feel in cross winds.. and on the severn bridge, or indeed on the M6 Shap top i have had to slow down to very slow mph in high winds. although my JB500 is a bit longer than yours i can still park in a car park single bay.
Do you know what the 470 and 500 refer to? Length?

i wish i did. i am told by some delica owners that i have a JB500 on a L200 base; others think its a L300 - i have almost no information on the log book. my van is 2.85 m tall; 2.18 wide; and 4.93 long - my measurements. 9'4" tall x 7'2" wide and 16'2" long

Wonder how many gallons it does to the mile.

i have never worked it out. i do know that if i go over 50mph i can watch the fuel gauge needle dropping as i breathe!!! so i dont drive over 50 - i am always on holiday in it so no rush

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back