Dash Cam

T leaves here like to nick them and anything else they can get their mits on.
Best thing i seen on a car side window was a sticker saying dont ='%* with this, and under it IRA staff car.

Transcend DrivePro 220 here which has the full GPS co-ordinates and speed on the recording then there is no argument in the event of the worse happening.

Not cheap but worth every penny IMHO.

I use a nextase 4k.Only thing is it records a high and low res video and the nextbase logo is always there.Ok but I wanted a clear video for recording my journeys.Just contacted nextbase and they sent me a different firmware,easy to flash through the sd card.

Another question, what size micro sd card would be recommended. I have ordered a 8gb hoping that is enough.
PJ

Another question, what size micro sd card would be recommended. I have ordered a 8gb hoping that is enough.
PJ

Try the 8gb and see how you get on. See how long it records for and try downloading film to your PC. Should be ok.

If using it for accident insurance, there is only a couple of minutes of film you are interested in. If recording your trips for keepsakes then go for as big an SD as you can.

Have had a Nextbase 512GW in motorhome for the last year. Did not bother hard wiring it in, just hid the cable behind the window / Remis blind trim then into a double adaptor alongside the satnav plug. Fitted the largest memory card it would take, 128gb Sandisk.
Could have bought and used a cheaper brand of card but from past experience not always a good idea imho. Dashcam Has been faultless from day one, i format the memory card every few months as recommended by Nextbase otherwise leave well alone.

Use the largest one your chosen device will accept and make sure it a good quality class 10 card.

I have a Transcend 64GB MLC Class 10 micro SDXC card in mine which gives 8 hours receording before it start to overwrite meaning if there is part of the journey i want to save like when we are going up and or down some of the Cols in the Pyrenees or Rhone-Alpes i can do it in the evening without fear of it being overwritten.

Last edited:
Another one for biggest card device will take, especially if saving parts of journey. I use 128GB Blackvue card, but files are big as they will be with any 4k video.

I use the biggest that it will support but I also carry a few spares, change them if there is something that I want to keep then copy the files to my laptop while the kettle is on, on a long trip you don't want to keep everything

I was quite happy with my dash cam until I read this thread and now I'm tempted to do a bit of an upgrade.
I rather like the sound of the Nextbase 522GW and note that it's sometimes bundled with a rear view camera too.
This rear view add-on is described as a "wired rear view camera".
I'm assuming that would just plug into another cigar lighter socket (which I have) either as a standard cigar lighter plug or a USB adapter?

Does anyone have any experience of mounting a rear window camera on a tailgate? I'm not sure the magnetic mounting would be able to handle the tailgate slamming.
Alternatively I might try to mount it on the inside bodywork but that might be a bit tricky.

Ah, have just read some more detailed review and see that the rear camera mount is adhesive mounted to the rear window but the camera itself is still a magnet mount.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was quite happy with my dash cam until I read this thread and now I'm tempted to do a bit of an upgrade.
I rather like the sound of the Nextbase 522GW and note that it's sometimes bundled with a rear view camera too.
This rear view add-on is described as a "wired rear view camera".
I'm assuming that would just plug into another cigar lighter socket (which I have) either as a standard cigar lighter plug or a USB adapter?

Does anyone have any experience of mounting a rear camera on a tailgate? I'm not sure the magnetic mounting would be able to handle the tailgate slamming.
Alternatively I might try to mount it on the inside bodywork but that might be a bit tricky.

Ah, have just read some more detailed review and see that the rear camera mount is adhesive mounted to the rear window but the camera itself is still a magnet mount.

They also do reconditioned sets at Halfords at a considerable saving and still with 3 months warranty.

Not sure if I would trust 'reconditioned' or not really but I am thinking about it.

Pressuably this camera, and any other front//rear camera set up, that connects to the main forward facing camera, stores both images on the same SD, side by side?

Edit - A little more Googling and I've found the Nextbase User Manuals so all now is clear. It looks to be a very smart piece of kit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wouldn’t be without one now. Transfer it between motors until I buy (or win!) another. Got a nextbase with a good quality card.

Nextbase 522GW Front & Rear Dash Cam looks good.

Can you set the Nextbase 522GW display to show the rear view all the time - this would provide a better view of the road than the rear view mirror in my PVC?

Fitting a reversing camera is on my to-do list, but I don't want multiple screens on the dash / windscreen, already have the sat nav. Could a reversing camera be wired to the Nextbase 522GW monitor? If not are there any that have this facility?

Nextbase 522GW Front & Rear Dash Cam.JPG

thanks

Had a chinese ddpai one in the van for a number of years it still works fine got a twin blackvue in the car. Was rear ended in June taking my wife to work at local hospital in the car the blackvue captured it all. But the driver that hit us is denying my wife was in the car so one tip is keep the audio recording as hopefully it will help us when we get to court for insurance fraud we are both under investigation for. Fitted an aukey dr02 in my sons car in 2019 that seems a good little cam.

Mike

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back