Dash Cam

pamjon

I am thinking of buying a Dash Cam. Euro Car Parts have some reasonable ones starting from £19.99. I would really prefer a simple one that plugs into a cigarette lighter.
Question, Have many got one of these and are they worth having.
PJ

We have a dash cam wired into van, after t'other day when we narrowly missed a 'crash for cash' attempt in Bedford will be fitting one to the car.

I have had 3 and not one works, maybe me not doing something right, or mini sd cards crap from ebay.

I have one in each vehicle, mine are hard wired in (very simple)
I would recommend nextbase, excellent quality and easy to set up and use, it is not worth buying cheap ones IMO
Maggy has this one in her car

Last edited:
Yes..but just be aware they are not allowed in some countries eg Austria (privacy laws..mind you unlikely to get caught)

Definitely worth having.
Have had 2 Nextbase's and a Blackvue 900.
Been happy with all, the Blackvue does have much better quality video, pricey though. Not sure it's worth the extra £ unless you are making video's of trips etc.

Definitely worth having.
Have had 2 Nextbase's and a Blackvue 900.
Been happy with all, the Blackvue does have much better quality video, pricey though. Not sure it's worth the extra £ unless you are making video's of trips etc.

Just a note about the Nextbase dashcams. The batteries in some models did not last as long as other makes. They can be renewed if you can take them apart and use a soldering iron. The best way to avoid this in the first place is to set the dashcam picture to go to sleep after a minute or two (the screen goes black).

Yes worth having if u need it if u have a crash....that’s if it’s in ur favour. We transfer ours between our car and Motorhome.

I've had a cheap one for years in the van which works well enough.

However, I will be buying the one Terry recommends from Halfords as it is far better quality. I will also pay the extra 35 quid for them to hardwire it in because I'm lazy.

Just a note about the Nextbase dashcams. The batteries in some models did not last as long as other makes. They can be renewed if you can take them apart and use a soldering iron. The best way to avoid this in the first place is to set the dashcam picture to go to sleep after a minute or two (the screen goes black).
Yes, one of mine went to black screen, other showed speed, last thing I wanted :ROFLMAO:

Blackvue much neater and fits behind interior mirror, no screen, all adjustments done via phone or pad. I thought that was a pain at first but prefer it now.

I was fortunate enough to win a Nextbase dash cam in a recent members draw. But having notified them of ownership I have not had a responce, then having installed it; the included power lead was malfunctioning causing the camera to keep switching off and on, so I emailed them again, still nowt-----ah well. So I've dug out a lead and that seems to work, but we have not had an opportunity yet to try it out in anger, we'll see. By the way though, the one that it replaced is more than 8 years old and still works

I've had a cheap one for years in the van which works well enough.

However, I will be buying the one Terry recommends from Halfords as it is far better quality. I will also pay the extra 35 quid for them to hardwire it in because I'm lazy.

Mine is the Halfords (300 model or something). I ran the wiring myself in just a few minutes but it is not hard wired into the car, I just use the cigar plug. It's useful because my two cigar sockets are permanent live, so it doubles as a security camera when we leave the car. Nobody knows because the screen is blanked.

I run two vehicles and have had cameras in both for a good number of years.

I'd actually feel uncomfortable without them, a bit like driving without a seat belt on.

Of course the main idea is to have a record of events if you find yourself involved in an "incident" but much of the fun I've had from mine is downloading clips of other driver's antics over the years - quite scary at times.

Like most digi things, buy the most expensive you can afford - with a decent SD card.

One I have just plugged into the cigar lighter socket but the other I've tapped into the power supply for the interior rear view mirror.

I'd recommend a decent adhesive mounting pad (3M) style mount, the suction pad versioin mounts are sometimes good and sometimes not so good.

They have to be one of the cheapest "insurances" on the market and I often wonder why so many drive without them.

This isn't actually my first post - I've been here before but have been far away for a few years and have now returned to the fold.

I'm on my 6th Next base. I have only ever bought 1 from halfords and none have lasted a year so have taken them back each and every time and had them replaced for the next newer model. Every one has destroyed the sd cards and stops recording. Camera comes on, shows that it records but then randomly shuts down then that's it, no more recording onto the card sadly only found out due to needing info. The one I have now has run out of warranty now and not had the chance to use it to see if this too goes faulty. If it does I won't ever buy next base again..

I'm on my 6th Next base. I have only ever bought 1 from halfords and none have lasted a year so have taken them back each and every time and had them replaced for the next newer model. Every one has destroyed the sd cards and stops recording. Camera comes on, shows that it records but then randomly shuts down then that's it, no more recording onto the card sadly only found out due to needing info. The one I have now has run out of warranty now and not had the chance to use it to see if this too goes faulty. If it does I won't ever buy next base again..
Maggy has the basic Nextbase 112, it came free with her car insurance a long time ago and still working fine, I have the better model, 128gb SD card and the polarising filter, 3yrs now with no problems and because we are not using the van much it is in the car, If the car gets a knock it wakes up and records so great for carparks etc. after using one I don't feel right without it being on

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back