Dash cam....headache!

I have had this one fitted for over 3 years now, and it is still working:
HD DVR 170° Car Dash Cam Recorder 1080p LED Night Vision G-sensor+Rear Camera UK | eBay
A mini SD card is slotted in and depending on the capacity of the SD card it will record to its capacity, then record over itself.
I have the camera fitted at the top of the windscreen on my A class, so the camera is well out of the way of a clear view of the road.
The 2nd camera which is designed to record at the same time can be accessed separately to view later by removing the mini SD card to view.
The 2nd camera is usually used to record behind the vehicle, and it has a long lead, but I have it sat in front of my reversing camera.
The camera is wired up so that it switches on to record as soon a the ignition is turned, so it is a "fit and forget" item, until/unless there is an incident.
The power cables were tucked into the headlining surrounding the windscreen (plenty supplied).
I paid more than the one I have given a link to (but I cannot remember how much, but I did not pay too much), bearing in mind how long I have had it, I think it has been good value.

Hope that helps.

I use a Mobius - reasonable price, decent picture even on Youtube, can be used out of the vehicle and never a problem.

To watch Video in HD - click the 'cog' and bottom right of video and select 720p HD.

Camera Mount MOBIUS.jpg

[video=youtube_share;ZkMF3HDSoOw]https://youtu.be/ZkMF3HDSoOw[/video]

I use a GoPro Hero 4 .. Sits on the dash and gives great video output. It records in 5 min chunks and can be removed and used as an ordinary camera.

Bjn

Hi QFour
I also use a Go Pro hero but the thermal cut out switches it off pretty quickly on a hot sunny day(obviously not a problem in this country!!)
do you suffer this or is mine dodgy?
Regards
Bryan

I've been researching dash cams on't Tinterweb, have looked at loads, and read so many reviews, that my head is full of pain:pc: Any one got any good recommends of any dash cams, without breaking the bank and doesn’t have reliability issues. :bow:

Hi Debs, You will not find anyone more dumber than me with electronics. I bought a dash cam from e-bay and fitted it myself. That was 6 years ago and it is still rolling perfectly along. Pictures are not that great but just clear enough. What do you expect for £20!!!

I use a GoPro Hero 4 .. Sits on the dash and gives great video output. It records in 5 min chunks and can be removed and used as an ordinary camera.

I know the Go-Pro has a very good reputation, but they are a bit pricey, especilly when I want it just for a bit of fun!

I bought two from Amazon couple of years back (£30 each) following an incident when 4 guys in a micra twice slammed the brakes on in front of me, second time I just stopped and sat with my hand on the horn until they drove off.

So a couple of weeks ago a young guy in an Audi sports car ran into the back of my wife as she slowed down at a speed bump, he made off. Although the dash cam was facing forward it clearly shows my wife slowing for the speed bump and then the Big Bang of the impact. The dash cam footage together with Google Earth convinced the insurance and police she was blameless. Car was repaired within a week and excess charge was refunded.

I know the Go-Pro has a very good reputation, but they are a bit pricey, especilly when I want it just for a bit of fun!

Aldi/Lidl do a Go Pro clone every now and again Debs, usually about 30 quid;

'Go-Pro like' Action Camera : National Geographic Branded Action Camera 1080p £29.99 @ Aldi - HotUKDeals

If you scroll down to the comments, there is some footage you can view.

EDIT; Aldi National Geographic 1080p Camera (video example) - YouTube

Not sure when they will be in again though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Debs, You will not find anyone more dumber than me with electronics. I bought a dash cam from e-bay and fitted it myself. That was 6 years ago and it is still rolling perfectly along. Pictures are not that great but just clear enough. What do you expect for £20!!!

I have just now bought from our local Aldi a dash cam. It was reduced to £19.99, yup half price, it comes complete with a 32gb card too, and they still have a few left !!!!!! I too have an ebay special that I bought 3 or 4 years ago at present in the 'van, for around a tenner and it still works extremely efficiently.

Hi QFour
I also use a Go Pro hero but the thermal cut out switches it off pretty quickly on a hot sunny day(obviously not a problem in this country!!)
do you suffer this or is mine dodgy?
Regards
Bryan

Not had any problems as we went through France the other year. Off again in a bit so will keep an eye on it. Not had it just stop because it got to hot. GoPro is rated to 50 degrees C which is rather hot. Makes you wonder what some of the others are rated at.

Last edited:
Just don't use them in Austria or you will have to sell the house to pay the fine.

Go Pro

Thanks QFour
Mine cuts out within 1/2 hr if the sun is any strength on windscreen so maybe it is too sensitive to heat
When I toured around Europe with it on the top of the windscreen surround of my open top car it was absolutly fine, plenty of cooling air I guess!
Thinking I should buy a cheapy to go in Motorhome
Regards
Bryan

Thanks QFour
Mine cuts out within 1/2 hr if the sun is any strength on windscreen so maybe it is too sensitive to heat
When I toured around Europe with it on the top of the windscreen surround of my open top car it was absolutly fine, plenty of cooling air I guess!
Thinking I should buy a cheapy to go in Motorhome
Regards
Bryan

Some have capacitors instead of a battery because of this..

I have just now bought from our local Aldi a dash cam. It was reduced to £19.99, yup half price, it comes complete with a 32gb card too, and they still have a few left !!!!!! I too have an ebay special that I bought 3 or 4 years ago at present in the 'van, for around a tenner and it still works extremely efficiently.

get me one please paypal ok

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back