Cyclist stickers compulsory for vehicle going to France.

Check out the regulations for the placing of these signs. I recall some while back seeing figures of measurement for height above ground and distance from front of van and distance from UK offside on rear of van.

Davy
Sign on the rear, to the right of the centre line, between 0.9m and 1.5m from the ground.
Signs on the sides, within I metre of the front ( or as close to that as you can get) and the same height measurements as the rear.
Ive read a few times that people are saying they are only necessary in urban areas, but there is nothing I can find in the French regulations confirming this.

Thanks for the measurements, we are on the verge of doing a short notice booking Dublin to Cherbourg and I was going to have to search out the info, so that is helpful.

Davy

I'm going to buy a set of three.

Two magnetic for the cab doors.

The third I will stick to a piece of card and place it in the rear panel window.
Has to be in a certain location so you will have to move the window to comply.

The weight limit signs and their application are oft discussed.

My understanding is that they apply to commercial vehicles only.

If the weight sign has an outline of a truck, it applies to lorries and delivery vans over that weight. No picture, it applies to all vehicles. Same as in the U.K.

For anyone wondering how the French will know the weight of your van, with or without a sticker, the police in the EU still have access to the DVLA computer system to find owners and vehicle details. Plus, if they pull you over they can ask to see your V5 doc. You are supposed to have that with you too!

Gendarmes generally are incredibly efficient and don’t miss much. We have been stopped a few times both in the van and the car. They knew all about driving licence changes ( not required now though) and other required documents you should carry.
Police are about the same as U.K. police = not too clever.
Municipal police are tasked by the local councils and are more like council officials.
They all seem to know the law pretty well though. 😕

For anyone wondering how the French will know the weight of your van, with or without a sticker, the police in the EU still have access to the DVLA computer system to find owners and vehicle details. Plus, if they pull you over they can ask to see your V5 doc. You are supposed to have that with you too!
What if you don’t licence through Swansea or have a V5?

You can have all the reg docs and VIN plates in the world, but if the EU can't or don't have access to data where your vehicle is registered, they won't be finding anything out, obviously not including if you are pulled over. But that clearly wasn't the point.

Does the EU have access to say, Isle of Man registrations? Not in UK or EU.

You can have all the reg docs and VIN plates in the world, but if the EU can't or don't have access to data where your vehicle is registered, they won't be finding anything out, obviously not including if you are pulled over. But that clearly wasn't the point.

Does the EU have access to say, Isle of Man registrations? Not in UK or EU.
They DO have access to the data! It’s the police in each country, NOT the EU and they kept the access for cross border security issues. Presumably the IOM is included because they come under UK international treaties legislation.

Much easier to just follow the regulations in the country you are in.
I can imagine the uproar if people came to the U.K. and deliberately flouted the regulations there ……..

They DO have access to the data! It’s the police in each country, NOT the EU and they kept the access for cross border security issues. Presumably the IOM is included because they come under UK international treaties legislation.
Yes, I would imagine that is the case, but don't know for sure though. Guess we'll find out :giggle:

If you are going to display them on your motorhome make sure you buy the motorhome ones and not the truck ones

EB102C5C-1F94-4207-BBDC-E02D4FF376D2.png

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back