Curious and needing some reassurance please

Ok so the sat idea is being mocked. Fair enough so........... What kit will get a TV signal to the TV when the Avtec cannot find it's own?

B2

I use an Amazon fire stick with an unlimited data sim in a mifi dongle. Of course it’s reliant on a phone signal, but it’s rare not to have one these days and the coverage maps are very accurate. Not only do you have access to tv, but the catch up apps and you tube.

Last edited:
I've been happy to use my satellite system and it's worked every where in UK. Your alternative is a data sim in a mobile router but as you tour in Scotland I believe mobile phone signals can be patchy in parts. I'd stick with the sat dish although I'd again have a roof mounted manual dish no system updates as do the auto systems to let you down easy to get a signal even in a layby at a lunch stop

If you have good phone data.package get.a amazon fire stick .load itv hub bbc I player nexflix and more ..
We use it all the time . Also we use a hard drive which we load up with films tv programs .

Umm where we had no tv signal there was no phone either or at least on our o2 phones. Which makes me laugh when people say they are going hill walking with no map or compass as their phone is both.... that is when it works of course.

I found a large 1 metre dish on gumtree and used that as far as Javea in spain to get freesat back home ,before they altered the footprint .I used to wedge it in front of the bike rack.

I have a semi-automatic 80cm dish, a motor winds it up then I turn it manually to find the satellite, but if I was replacing it I would fit the one witzend has, it is a lot easier to line up a roof-mounted dish than one on a tripod especially in bad weather.
Finding the satellite becomes easy after a bit of practice

Last edited:
I see them on camp sites.
radar.png

I know nothing of these never used one but seems to good to be true but if your thinking of a Amazon firestick maybe worth a go

I know nothing of these never used one but seems to good to be true but if your thinking of a Amazon firestick maybe worth a go
The seller's profile has alarm bells going off in my head. The guy could be legit. However, the seller account was only created yesterday, has no business address, has no feedback and the price, at £12.99 for something that retails in Currys for £49.99, seems way too good to be true.

Or the very best thing to do is to leave your TV's at home and enjoy the countryside along with a good book, all washed down with a glass or two of your favourite tipple.

Watch out for the black friday deals coming up,Currys and argos drop their prices by a good amount.I only use downloader to setup apktime and get my apps from there.

We have been lent a sat dish and the "easyfind" is not showing up on the Avtec advanced screen. The Avtec has sat in on the tv and their website seems to suggest that the easyfind app should be there but having tried three ways it don't show up where it should.... bit baffled tbh.

We actually travel with hundreds of ebooks but frankly they don't keep us upto date with the covid news and the radio on the so called satnav unit is shite.

We have been lent a sat dish and the "easyfind" is not showing up on the Avtec advanced screen. The Aztec has sat in on the tv and their website seems to suggest that the easyfind app should be there but having tried three ways it don't show up where it should.... bit baffled tbh.

Does your model Avtec have a satellite receiver built in ? looking at ebay some only have freeview not freesat which would mean you'll need a sat receiver I only use a silver crest from aldi with easy find built in
If TV wouldn't work I'd not leave home until I'd got it working

Last edited:
Regarding satellite coverage .... I had good reception off Astra 2 via my Snipe antenna all the way to a camp spot in the very North of The Shetland Islands near Muckle Flugga (what a wonderful name!).

Hi we have the Vuesat system you mention. Yes it is all you need if you have an Avtex tv with DRS in the model number as these have the sat reciever box built in. The Vue sat has an easy find system where you simply move the dish until the red light turns green. It is quicker if you have a cheap compass to point it south in the firstplace then it just needs turning to the east slightly. A very simple process.. We've only used it in the UK but it works well.

Umm where we had no tv signal there was no phone either or at least on our o2 phones. Which makes me laugh when people say they are going hill walking with no map or compass as their phone is both.... that is when it works of course.
Please don't mock hillwalkers using their phone rather than map - most modern smartphones don't need a signal to use as a map!!!!!. My phone on EE worked all round Scotland in September apart form one small dead spot in Glencoe. O2 is useless in Scotland I've been told

I am an accomplished hillwalker and hold an expedition warrant and most holidays are in North-West Scotland where I disappear into the mountains (no climbing or hard scrambles involved) whilst wife reads..... I always take a map and compass but have never needed them even in poor weather. I have a Samsung S10 (which is waterproof) on which I have the less known OMN (Outdoor Map Navigator) and more well known Viewranger Apps. Both use the latest OS maps under subscription which I update via 4G before I leave. (Those thinking they can simply use Google Maps need their head looking at as that give no elevation data etc (grid lines) and could be dangerous!) 90% of the time I leave the phone on Airplane mode (occasionally though sending picture via WhatsApp to the wife to make her jealous of the views) so it uses the incredibly good GPS system for location - accuracy is incredibly good to within a couple of metres at worst . Beauty is the OMN tracks you and logs your route which can be uploaded if you we in need of urgent help with phone switched on or to follow back. I always carry 2 power packs to ensure phone always has charge - only used one once. Paper map is used to get overall plan of route but I can upload waypoints to walk to as well. I have a Suunto watch (15 years old now) which has a barometer/altimeter on it which warns me if there's a change in pressure etc so then switch phone on to check local radar reports...........

I'm not interested in TV while on hols but with COVID-19 issue we did a couple if times use my phone as hotspot and check news headlines on iPlayer through out T5's android head unit but that's all and it didn't use much data at all.

With practice it's easy we have a maxview manual on the vans roof just with the knowledge of where the sun will be at midday and/or which direction other dishes in the area are pointing my wife can locate a signal while I turn the gas on

Do exactly the same. So easy and perfect picture all around Europe. Have it set up in seconds, much quicker than the auto ones which just keep going around & around. Have SkyQ set up in less than 45 seconds every time.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back