Curious and needing some reassurance please

That’s all you need as a minimum.

A satellite finder may be useful however if it’s a manual dish set up.

Depending where You'll use it North of Scotland and any where in Europe apart from the North coast of France you probably need a larger one which would also make locating the Satellite easier
Looking at Avtec tvs they seem to have a built in satellite tuner so you'll not need that part of the link you posted if thats correct you just need a dish an tripod like this one

Last edited:
That’s all you need as a minimum.

A satellite finder may be useful however if it’s a manual dish set up.

And a compass virtually essential :) its a lot harder to line up a satellite dish than a TV aerial :rolleyes:

We ain't tv fiends but after five days with out we began to wonder what the news was.

Yes we only tour in Scotland. So the thinking is we need something bigger?

PH

And a compass virtually essential :) its a lot harder to line up a satellite dish than a TV aerial :rolleyes:
With practice it's easy we have a maxview manual on the vans roof just with the knowledge of where the sun will be at midday and/or which direction other dishes in the area are pointing my wife can locate a signal while I turn the gas on

Last edited:
I’ve a free tripod stand if you want one .I am in Sunderland .you should be able to pick up a second hand sky dish cheap enough that all I use when I had the caravan.

There is an app that I use that I find helpful - SatFinder Lite - it’s a freebie. I’ll park up, use the app to make certain close trees aren’t obscuring the view, and move the MH to somewhere a bit better. It’s been rather useful in the Alps recently as sometimes they’ve parked big mountains in the way.

We watched / listened to a guy on a Spanish Aire at Grau. He had his mounted on the wing mirror of his motorhome. He had one of the Sat SWR meters that gives out a piercing beep when you get a good signal. So he set it all up and spent the next 2 hours in and out of the motorhome with his SWR meter squeaking. Eventually he gave up and then started the whole pantomime all over again the following morning. We also watched a guy a few years back with one on a tripod. I saw him the following day and asked if he got it sorted. Yes he said eventually but the match had finished by the time I got a picture I could watch :confused:;)

Tried the tripod mounted satellite dish never managed to find signal so gave up trying before i lost what little patience i have

I used to go down the satellite dish route many years ago, but now the country has gone totally digital from the transmitters I find it much easier to have one of those little stick aerials.
One advantage of freesat (satellite) over Freeview (from transmitter stations) is you can watch your own local news regardless of where you are. You don't re tune your TV, you just reposition your dish at your new location.
However, there lies your problem. You not only have to get the dish pointing in the right direction (side to side) you also have to get the right angle of elevation (up and down). And believe me, this is very much a hit and miss affair.

Images of me at the first Wildcamping meet at Buxworth trying for hours to get my dish to line up correctly. It brought hours of entertainment for everyone else around me!!

I have all sorts of sat dishes, finders etc. My late husband used to set them up. I can't be bothered with all the messing about. I'm near Biggar if you want any of them to try. Meg

I used to go down the satellite dish route many years ago, but now the country has gone totally digital from the transmitters I find it much easier to have one of those little stick aerials.
One advantage of freesat (satellite) over Freeview (from transmitter stations) is you can watch your own local news regardless of where you are. You don't re tune your TV, you just reposition your dish at your new location.
However, there lies your problem. You not only have to get the dish pointing in the right direction (side to side) you also have to get the right angle of elevation (up and down). And believe me, this is very much a hit and miss affair.

Images of me at the first Wildcamping meet at Buxworth trying for hours to get my dish to line up correctly. It brought hours of entertainment for everyone else around me!!

I,ve taken my satellite dish off the roof and done away with sat tv completely.
I now have a small microwave in the tv cabinet
When I had a tripod mounted dish years ago I used dishpointer

Ok so the sat idea is being mocked. Fair enough so........... What kit will get a TV signal to the TV when the Avtec cannot find it's own?

B2

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back