Cupboard catches

mariesnowgoose

So our old Autosleeper, the usual wear and tear problem: a couple of door catches wearing out/breaking with age.

Now it seems to be easy enough to get hold of replacements for the whole mechanism (anywhere from around a fiver+), but as it appears to be only the white plastic catches that deteriorate and break I wondered if these could be bought separately, rather than buying the whole mechanism each time? Lots of good reasons for wanting to do this, not just about saving money.

Anybody had a similar problem or have any idea if it's possible to buy just these white plastic latch parts? :unsure:

Cupboard catch-01.jpg

Cupboard catch-02.jpg

Why bother when you can get 5 complete catches for a £10.49?
LINK

Those particular catches are smaller than ours so no good even as complete replacements, Chris, and no way to tell if the 'catch' bit inside is the same size as the existing.

So our old Autosleeper, the usual wear and tear problem: a couple of door catches wearing out/breaking with age.

Now it seems to be easy enough to get hold of replacements for the whole mechanism (anywhere from around a fiver+), but as it appears to be only the white plastic catches that deteriorate and break I wondered if these could be bought separately, rather than buying the whole mechanism each time? Lots of good reasons for wanting to do this, not just about saving money.

Anybody had a similar problem or have any idea if it's possible to buy just these white plastic latch parts? :unsure:

View attachment 89123

View attachment 89124

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Push-But...rand=Unbranded&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

View attachment 89123

View attachment 89124
I was looking at using these on the Betty build, thinking now they won't be clumsy lump proof. (I'm sharing that title btw)

I was looking at using these on the Betty build, thinking now they won't be clumsy lump proof. (I'm sharing that title btw)

@SquirrellCook I think they are 'clumsy lump proof' for a good few years from new, but when they're 20 years old like our originals.....?! ;)

And remember, I'm only asking about the little white plastic latch bits inside that have broken, the rest of the fitting(s) is in pretty good nick with lots of use left in all of them.

Last edited:
You will have to look under caravan fittings, seen them last year when having a look.

Do you actually mean the little white plastic catches that fit inside, or do you mean the same entire 'catches' as a few others have already mentioned?

It's an awful thing, this loss of the capacity to read properly during lockdown... 🤪 😈 😉 😂🙃

Looks like they aren't suitable for 3d printing either.
Also looks like I will just have to give in and buy entire catches instead.😕

Do you actually mean the little white plastic catches that fit inside, or do you mean the same entire 'catches' as a few others have already mentioned?

It's an awful thing, this loss of the capacity to read properly during lockdown... 🤪 😈 😉 😂🙃

Looks like they aren't suitable for 3d printing either.
Also looks like I will just have to give in and buy entire catches instead.😕
I think they would print ok, but strength I'd question. Drawing them shouldn't take more than an hour. If they were hard to get or a stupid price I'd model them for you.

I think they would print ok, but strength I'd question. Drawing them shouldn't take more than an hour. If they were hard to get or a stupid price I'd model them for you.

I'm resigning myself to the fact that it's just going to be easier and less hassle to buy the whole catch mechanisms.

Need about 5 catches in total; 2 have broken white plastic bits as already discussed, 3 others are sticking/getting dodgy.
Just a case of working out which is the best deal from the online offerings.

Many thanks for the feedback folks (y)

I have had one of these catches fail on me whilst away on holiday, I made a temporary fix by stuffing a piece of foam rubber where the bendy legs locate that was about two years ago and it’s still there and the catch still works.

I have had one of these catches fail on me whilst away on holiday, I made a temporary fix by stuffing a piece of foam rubber where the bendy legs locate that was about two years ago and it’s still there and the catch still works.

Good to know your temporary fix is still working, @saxonborg, well done (y)

But I really do hope your bendy legs are getting a little better by now...! o_O😉😂

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back