Cullen new site

tribute11

Screenshot_20230928-204434_Facebook.jpg

Most parts of Scotland are doing their best to accommodate us, and some are doing so with limited resources. Moray council have a very pragmatic attitude towards us, and even within the NC 500 improvements and new sites and facilities have been added every year.
We visited Cullen for the day enroute to Lossiemouth this spring, and we enjoyed the local specialty Cullen Skink. Nice we town with its disused railway viaduct which you can walk over.
Of course we have the usual culprits with their heads in the sand, and a terrible attitude towards us, East Lothian. Also Dumfries and Galloway have put up no overnight parking signs on every one of their carparks throughout the region. But I am assured by them via email that these signs are non enforceable, and are only there to dissuade some from parking.
Fife hope to add to the many carparks available, and should be adding additional chemical waste points next year.
But all in all things are slowly improving in Caledonia, we Scot’s are well known for being pragmatic, it’s only a shame that England and Wales don’t join us. :(

Here’s the email I received from Dumfries and Galloway.

Morning William
The picnic area is the whole area as you enter into New England bay,
I do know that the campsite is only opened for 6 months of the year,
The proposal are for all the car parks in Dumfries & Galloway not just New England bay,
We have had numerous complaints about camping in all the picnic areas in Wigtownshire,
The Eslan points where installed as visitors where disposing of the waste inappropriately,
as you highlighted earlier we cannot enforce whether visitors stay one night or several we would like visitors to come enjoy the area and leave it as they find it, unfortunately that does not happen in some cases, the signage was put in place as a request from local people and elected members as they had concerns about the amount of people visiting the area , if you require any further information please do not hesitate to contact me.
Regards Stuart

Last edited:
I think in England and Ireland the private business like pubs restaurants and rugby clubs are the way to go. They are miles in front compared to Scotland on that side. I’ve seen some and stayed at some lovely places in England all mostly private businesses with a fair pricing set up if you use their facilities.

I think in England and Ireland the private business like pubs restaurants and rugby clubs are the way to go. They are miles in front compared to Scotland on that side. I’ve seen some and stayed at some lovely places in England all mostly private businesses with a fair pricing set up if you use their facilities.
Yes we have seen this also Wully. Kendel cricket club offer overnight parking for £10. We joked what happens if a batsman hits a six and your van cops it :) We saw plenty of pubs with signs offering overnight stays for free if you bought a meal. Unfortunately Highland council closed a few down, but only if they charged. The Royal hotel in Ullapool now offers free overnight parking, but have removed their EHU, and you can’t book anymore. Highland council insisting on a 6m gap between vans for chargeable sites. This of course is not practicable for most if not all. The new site at Fort Augustus is a cracker with EHU being installed, elsan and grey water disposal, and fresh water at £10 a night. I am told this will increase to £15 when EHU is installed.

Update about Cullen aire
Until the online booking system is operational, we are taking bookings through the Cullen Community and Residential Centre (01542 840701) 9.00am - 12.30pm Monday to Friday. We are taking cash or card payments and once received, you will be issued with a code to access the barrier.

The new site at Fort Augustus is a cracker with EHU being installed, elsan and grey water disposal, and fresh water at £10 a night. I am told this will increase to £15 when EHU is installed.

Look out for new Aires appearing along the canals system in Scotland.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back