CPAP whilst wildcamping

r4dent

I have just been diagnosed with sleep apnea and allocated a CPAP machine by the wonderful NHS.

This runs off 24v dc via a 240/24v brick. It uses 55w and I expect it to be used 8-10 hours each night.

No problems at home or on EHU, just use mains power and the brick.

But what do I do when there is no EHU available?

I've asked my NHS expert if I can use 12v dc, but I'm not holding my breath (see what I've done there) for a positive response.

So far I've hought of two solutions:-
a) a 12v dc - 24v dc converter.
b) use a small inverter and plug the brick in.
My current preference is 'a' because of efficiency ( I can buy a suitable converter that is > 95% efficient.

Does any one out there have any thoughts or comments.

The second concern is battery capacity. I have 2 * 100ah batteries. By my calculations this will give me a couple of days CPAP and other stuff before the batteries give up. In the current weather the solar should keep me going but will I need to resurrect my Genny for later in the year?

Finally what do other CPAP users do when 240 isn't available.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

If you cannot sleep at night did you ever think of taking a job as a night watchman.:wave:

Dedicated 2nd battery bank that's 24v?

There's some places that hire CPAP batteries by the looks of it (I'm guess it depends how long you'll need them for the van at a time).

Thanks for the thought, but with an Efoy at £2.5k+ and a 12/24v convertor at £25, I'll leave the Efoy until 6 numbers come up.

hi
join two 12v batteries to give 24v

cpap

I have just been diagnosed with sleep apnea and allocated a CPAP machine by the wonderful NHS.

This runs off 24v dc via a 240/24v brick. It uses 55w and I expect it to be used 8-10 hours each night.

I've asked my NHS expert if I can use 12v dc, but I'm not holding my breath (see what I've done there) for a positive response.

My current preference is 'a' because of efficiency ( I can buy a suitable converter that is > 95% efficient.

The second concern is battery capacity. I have 2 * 100ah batteries. By my calculations this will give me a couple of days CPAP and other stuff before the batteries give up. In the current weather the solar should keep me going but will I need to resurrect my Genny for later in the year?

I use a small inverter one 100ah battery used 3 nights and watched a bit of tv no problem

Does it actually draw 55W? Or is that the value written on the transformer?
I would be inclined to plug it into a wattmeter and see how much power is actually drawn on an overnight use. And then work out your options from a point of actual usage.

Last edited:

There is a dedicated 12volt machine but nhs will want their memory card in the machine

Cpap

Hi
I was diagnosed and cured on the same day.
My cpap pump is a Phillips respatron and is 12v.
I don't use a humidifier whilst wilding but do at home.
I made up a cigarette plug in lead and this works fine.
I have fitted a socket in the back and use the leisure battery to power it.
We have never had any problems.But I always carry a fully charged battery jump pack.
In short there are 12v ones out there.
Hope this helps cpap changed my life.

Good luck
Martin

Is it defo 24v as mine is 60w and is 12v /5a dc

In this weather the cpap mask it a misery I am looking forward to it getting cooler.

I have a 12 volt CPAP machine, I also fitted a 12 volt socket in the rear of our van where the fixed bed is, we also have a 12 volt compressor fridge.
I have twin 95 ah batteries and 200 watt of solar, I also bought a Hyundai generator which I’ve never had need to use, up to now 15 months with our current van and have never run out of power.

John.

I did not know what a cpac was so I looked it up on Google .

SleepCube AutoAdjust Plus Auto-CPAP | EU-PAP seems machines are available at 12 volt , 65 watts on mains power so a simple inverter will power it all looks very simple to overcome ?

Using CPAP on your travels? Look no further
The SleepCube's compact size makes it an ideal travel option. It can be powered using a 12V cable (available separately) allowing you to use it in a car, on a boat or in a caravan. Its auto-adjusting power supply means it can accept any mains voltage between 100-240V, meaning you can use it in almost any country across the globe. It comes supplied with a carry bag making transportation easy and comfortable.

Three year warranty gives peace of mind
DeVilbiss offer a three years warranty with their SleepCubes, such is their confidence in its build quality and longevity. The industry leading warranty means you buy with peace of mind.

What's in the box?
The DeVilbiss SleepCube AutoAdjust Plus APAP comes complete with:

Auto pressure adjusting PAP device
Travel Bag
6ft / 183cm Hose
Washable Foam Filter
Disposable Fine Particle Filter
Patient Manual
SleepCube Specifications
CPAP Dimensions (H x W x L without Humidifier): 4.3" x 6.5" x 7" (10.8cm x 16.5cm x 17.8cm)
Unit Weight: 2.7 lbs (1.2kg)
Humidifier adds ~7cm / 2.6" Height
Electrical Ratings: 50-60Hz, 100-240V AC
Operating Pressure: 3-20cm H2O
Sound Level < 29 dB(A) - ISO 17510 test: 26 dB(A)
Max. Power Consumption: 65W from AC power source (flow generator only - not with humidifier)
Do you like this machine but don't need auto adjusting variable pressure? Check out the DeVilbiss SleepCube Standard Plus CPAP.

I use a small inverter one 100ah battery used 3 nights and watched a bit of tv no problem

Do you have humidifier / heated tube. I gather this is what uses the power. I'm about to go away 3 nights no EHU / 1 night ehu / then another 3 nights no ehu. Should be a good chance to try thinks.

I did not know what a cpac was so I looked it up on Google .

SleepCube AutoAdjust Plus Auto-CPAP | EU-PAP seems machines are available at 12 volt , 65 watts on mains power so a simple inverter will power it all looks very simple to overcome ?

Using CPAP on your travels? Look no further
The SleepCube's compact size makes it an ideal travel option. It can be powered using a 12V cable (available separately) allowing you to use it in a car, on a boat or in a caravan. Its auto-adjusting power supply means it can accept any mains voltage between 100-240V, meaning you can use it in almost any country across the globe. It comes supplied with a carry bag making transportation easy and comfortable.

Three year warranty gives peace of mind
DeVilbiss offer a three years warranty with their SleepCubes, such is their confidence in its build quality and longevity. The industry leading warranty means you buy with peace of mind.

What's in the box?
The DeVilbiss SleepCube AutoAdjust Plus APAP comes complete with:

Auto pressure adjusting PAP device
Travel Bag
6ft / 183cm Hose
Washable Foam Filter
Disposable Fine Particle Filter
Patient Manual
SleepCube Specifications
CPAP Dimensions (H x W x L without Humidifier): 4.3" x 6.5" x 7" (10.8cm x 16.5cm x 17.8cm)
Unit Weight: 2.7 lbs (1.2kg)
Humidifier adds ~7cm / 2.6" Height
Electrical Ratings: 50-60Hz, 100-240V AC
Operating Pressure: 3-20cm H2O
Sound Level < 29 dB(A) - ISO 17510 test: 26 dB(A)
Max. Power Consumption: 65W from AC power source (flow generator only - not with humidifier)
Do you like this machine but don't need auto adjusting variable pressure? Check out the DeVilbiss SleepCube Standard Plus CPAP.

Hello the problem with using another cpap machine is the nhs reads the memory card in the machine, in fact that is the only thing the sleep technicians look at with my cpap.

The memory card reads the usage and pressures.

thanks for the useful comments

There seems to be a couple of common thoughts coming through.

Get a 12v CPAP
I know there are 12v machines out there but mine is 24v. My first question is what is the best way to get 24v whilst wilding - 12/24 convertor or inverter. My original intention was converter, but a small inverter will be easier for next week. I'm not even thinking about connecting the two hab batteries to give 24v!

Get a dedicated small battery.
Yes, but how do I charge it ?
I will consider this solution to add a couple of days CPAP whilst off grid.

Hab Battery Lfe
Lots of people say they manage 2-4 days from a similar set up, but don't state if they have humidifiers / heated tubes. I have both. My plan is to try it and see.

Nightwatch man job.
I've been retired for a few years so this doesn't appeal. Or maybe I could use the wages to buy a fuel cell.

Thanks again to those who took the time to help.

Sorry but you have made my head spin !
You have a modern motorhome which is basically a self indulgent luxury toy , you have a motorcycle by the looks of things another toy but you are now going to ponce around and see how you get on with things when you are talking about your health and well being, spend money on toys but not your life .
I'd be increasing solar and batteries adding the efoy and generator etc and if I couldn't afford it then the toys would go until I could .
Not a dig at you personally just mind boggling to me as all my toys have always been seen by me as money so for sale from the day I buy them if I change plans or situation.

In fairness it is a bit of trial and error to see how much power is required,

possibly I would make sure I can charge the leisure batteries with the vehicle engine in the best possible way,

because solar will be no use in the winter.

If it comes to it use campsites with electric hook up.

The problem comes if you can't prove you use your cpap machine (hence the memory card on the cpap machine) that the dvla will want to take your licence away.

I'd be increasing solar and batteries adding the efoy and generator etc and if I couldn't afford it then the toys would go until I could .
Not a dig at you personally just mind boggling to me as all my toys have always been seen by me as money so for sale from the day I buy them if I change plans or situation.

Charlie we have different outlooks to life. Neither is right or wrong, they are just different. I prefer to keep my toys and look for cost effective solutions to my problems. Selling both my motor bikes wouldn't pay for the cheapest fuel cell. Selling the MoHo would cover the cost but would rather defeat the object of getting the cell. I will only have a problem if I am off grid for a few nights at a time and the sun doesn't shine. Worst case scenario is that I have to find my generator and give it a service or stay on sites with EHU.

For me my toys are part of my lifestyle choice. I was just asking if anyone had thoughts that could include wild camping in these choices.

Thanks for the fuel cell idea, it just doesn't fit in with my plans. No doubt other readers will embrace it.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
I've been using a CPAP for several years. When I asked my Resp technician about travelling in a MH, she said she'd make enquiries.

Next thing I knew, a phone call to say she had a 12-24volt converter for me. I've been using it in the van for several trips, including 3 months mostly wilding. It's just a brick with a ciggy plug and the correct connector for the CPAP.

I have 200W of solar and 2x110Ah batteries, and have never had any loss of power.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back