Cowbar at staithes are trying to ban camping again

Just done survey.

In my six years Motorhoming, I have been told to F off twice, had damage done to my van once, (vandalised mirror),water bombed once, had car horns tooted at us countless times whilst parked up, and threatened damage to our van if we remained, which we did, and no damage was done.
In return, I have never verbally or physically abused anyone, (and I have never witnessed any other van owner behaving that way), I have never left any waste of any kind, I have always tried to be considerate as to were we park, picked up mess left by others, paid all my taxes etc.

And do you what, I reckon I speak for 99% of the posters on here, and the vast majority of Motorhome owners in general. Quite frankly that poster is a disgrace, who ever put it up needs sorting out, and when did wild camping become illegal.
I gotta say, in all my time both with my bus, & on the many occasions I used to go off on my bike with just my tent & doss bag, I have never been threatened or abused in any way that I can remember.
Neither have I ever shat anywhere unsuitable, or dropped a single piece of litter. Just seems to me the local busybodies want it all for themselves as usual, & possibly enflame the situation to the point where they become the target of abuse. Live & let live has always been my way, long as peoples behaviour doesn't impact on me, I don't impact on them.....🐻😉

Just for starters in England.View attachment 104777

That's not correct. The Vagrancy Act of 1935 (clicky link) amends the Vagrancy Act of 1824 and clarifies that people sleeping in vehicles with which they travel are not vagabonds. For example, section 1(4) states: "The reference in the said enactment to a person lodging under a tent or in a cart or waggon shall not be deemed to include a person lodging under a tent or in a cart or waggon with or in which he travels." Hence the Vagrancy Act of 1824 cannot be cited as a reason for motorhome wild camping being illegal.

I’ve spent the last 18 days in my holiday home in Scotland (tummel valley) obviously Im a wild camper and love it, but there were loads of vans wild camping in the Glen and most were absolutely fine, but one or two just overstep the mark, and unfortunately we all get judged by them I’m afraid.

One MotorHome parked on our drive, now I understand his mistake it’s a long drive and looks like it goes nowhere. When I knocked on his door he was polite and apologetic, I asked he move over a few feet and to leave when he was ready I also explained that if he went further down the drive he’d get better views and not be in the way, but asked he didn’t tell the world and all fine.

But that’s not what SOME locals experience, and in rural communities outsiders upsetting a few locals soon gets taken out of context, and the locals club together which is wrong, but not completely hard to understand sometimes.

I’ve been to Cowbar at Staines once in a MH and didn’t see any issues, but it was out of season.

That's not correct. The Vagrancy Act of 1935 (clicky link) amends the Vagrancy Act of 1824 and clarifies that people sleeping in vehicles with which they travel are not vagabonds. For example, section 1(4) states: "The reference in the said enactment to a person lodging under a tent or in a cart or waggon shall not be deemed to include a person lodging under a tent or in a cart or waggon with or in which he travels." Hence the Vagrancy Act of 1824 cannot be cited as a reason for motorhome wild camping being illegal.
It’s just Trev being funny Geoff, he's Irish, he can’t help himself.

It’s just Trev being funny Geoff, he's Irish, he can’t help himself.
Maybe so, but I've lost count of the times people have cited the 1824 Act as a reason for authorities to deem wild camping to be illegal. Even the 1960 Caravan Sites Planning Act doesn't make wild camping illegal. It makes it unlawful for land owners to allow their land to be used as an unlicensed caravan site, but that is subtly different. The latest 'bill' makes it an offence not to move on as soon as reasonably possible when a land owner or police officer requires you to do so, or to return within a certain period, but it's still not an offence to wild camp up to that point.

On the subject of wild camping in motorhomes, the Black Belt Barrister has just weighed in on YouTube. AFAICT, he's potentially misrepresented the situation re. the new bill, but the rest of it seems sound:

I gotta say, in all my time both with my bus, & on the many occasions I used to go off on my bike with just my tent & doss bag, I have never been threatened or abused in any way that I can remember.
Neither have I ever shat anywhere unsuitable, or dropped a single piece of litter. Just seems to me the local busybodies want it all for themselves as usual, & possibly enflame the situation to the point where they become the target of abuse. Live & let live has always been my way, long as peoples behaviour doesn't impact on me, I don't impact on them.....🐻😉

I agree about the busybodies but I've had another thought about why they may be complaining. Over the last two years there seems to have been a run on townies buying in the countryside. If they are renting out these places due to staycations , they need to ensure that their guests have plenty room to park,,,,,sometimes incomers can be more zealous than locals, who are used to it.

Simple thing is to put double yellow lines where others cannot pass, but leave other parts for folk resting, as for folk doing a shiscabab outside, well apart from against the law you could be stung by a nettle. :eek:
like it or not you could get a tanned as-an-is. bums stay clear. springs to life. or .one up on you trevs peace and love, ok.pj

It’s the same old same old.
Apparently Cal Mac are transporting to many motorhomes to the islands, and to control numbers have doubled the fares for vans over 6M. Yet the data I posted on here showed that in summer only 3% of the vehicles are motorhomes, in winter it’s less than 1%. I have never seen more motorhomes than cars anywhere. In this months MMM an owner was told by a local that there are to many motorhomes in the carpark. The carpark takes 300, it was two thirds full. He looked around and there was only one other Motorhome. As for the usual anecdotal nonsense about dumping chemical waste, being abusive to locals, etc well I have no doubt it’s either completely untrue, or conveniently exaggerated. This is no more than nimbyism of the worse kind, supported by anecdotal unverified, spurious rubbish by people who are leading boring lives, with nothing better to do with their time.
I noted from the survey that tents got a mention, well therein lies the biggest problem, if it’s anything like up here.
praise the lord, what tents, oh no.let there be a peace for me. for my 7.5 mtr m.h. ok.pj.

Not done and dusted yet but it looks as if the Vagrancy Act 1824 is in line to be repealed.

sorry how old are you. ov-us- ley , not past your best . okpj. stay safe

PJ, you have to consider the following;

Athlete - jocky.jpeg

Lord Adonis - adonis.jpg

Platinum hair - einstein.jpg

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back