covid test

tony

while we were in england recently the irish government brought out a compulsory covid p c r test to enter the country.
when we went to get the test in walsall the guy doing it was not wearing a mask. when i asked him to wear a mask he said there was no need.
i had to refuse to remove mine until he wore his. he did but did not cover his nose again i asked him to do so. he reluctently did so .all this cost us £70 each.
when we asked if we were sure of getting the results in time for the ferry he wanted another £20 each ,we declined.
if a situation happen to you ie in a shop or anyplace else don't be afraid to speak up.

tony

Last edited:
A mask wont stop the bug as its millions of times smaller that the holes through cloth or masks, you would require an army NBC outfit.

Good for you. After all this is a commercial organisation, not the NHS, and I am sure they are doing very nicely from it. Ker-ching.

It's the droplets that contain the bug that won't go through the mask Trev.
Only if you sneeze etc, still wont stop them all, best thing is to stay at home unless you have an m bike and head for the hills.

Tried that today Trev.

Broke down and had to push the bloody thing 2 miles home! (The Herald not the Enfield).
Electrics are the bad bit on Chinese bikes, but could also be a blocked main jet, or did it die altogether.

Electrics are the bad bit on Chinese bikes, but could also be a blocked main jet, or did it die altogether.

Felt and sounded very much like fuel starvation Trev.

I phoned the dealer and he said that he had put fresh fuel in it, when I asked if he had used E10, he said "Yeah, should be fine". I hate it when somebody says "Should be"!

Could be a blocked filter or carbs, but he's picking it up tomorrow, so he will either sort it or give me a refund.

Felt and sounded very much like fuel starvation Trev.

I phoned the dealer and he said that he had put fresh fuel in it, when I asked if he had used E10, he said "Yeah, should be fine". I hate it when somebody says "Should be"!

Could be a blocked filter or carbs, but he's picking it up tomorrow, so he will either sort it or give me a refund.
Easy test for fuel is a squirt of easy start in the airbox, other than that look for spark which is common as I said, good luck and hope an easy sort.

as the mask only stops gurt gobs from a sneeze theres no real point wearing one unless youre likely to sneeze. other than that just keep your mouth shut and breath through nose.
not really sure id want to wear a mask after id had a couple of good sneezes into it.

i hadnt actually realised how bad my hearing had got and how much i was relying on lip reading to understand people...

as the mask only stops gurt gobs from a sneeze theres no real point wearing one unless youre likely to sneeze. other than that just keep your mouth shut and breath through nose.
First time I've heard that from a medically qualified person .
I take it you are medically qualified ?

First time I've heard that from a medically qualified person .
I take it you are medically qualified ?
He is 100% right,one of my mates taught vet nurses and confirmed this, cover you face when sneezing etc, protective glasses may be usefull

He is 100% right,one of my mates taught vet nurses and confirmed this, cover you face when sneezing etc, protective glasses may be usefull
I have listened to all of the epidemologists , clinicians I could on this subject . They all say the same , wear a mask . Get more than a little annoyed at those scrabbling around for excuses not to wear one . Basically because they can't be ersed . Selfish beyond belief

I am a firm believer that masks reduce the risk of infection for the wearer and people they come into contact with.

I know that some people believe that masks do not reduce the risk of infection.

I know of no one who believes that the risk of infection is increased by wearing a mask.

So logically, wear a mask. It makes sense.

I'm totally in favour of masks and wore one for shopping etc even when it wasn't mandatory, as many people did. Even so, I had something similar to this described to me recently (based on the standard 3-layer surgical type masks most people wear) and it totally put things in perspective for me...

Imagine the threads of the mask are woven from ropes. There are gaps between the ropes but the weave is close enough that the ropes are wider than the gaps. The virus droplet (not the virus itself but the droplet containing it) is the size of a pea. It's possible to blast the pea through the ropes but there's plenty of rope to hit too, so it's not easy.

Now take the second layer of our rope mask and offset it from the first layer. Even harder to blast that pea through now.
Now add the third layer, again offset. You really don't stand much chance of that pea going anywhere!

Important to make sure there are no huge gaps around the sides of course, which is probably where a lot of people go wrong.

Here's a good article about home-made cloth masks too...

I'm totally in favour of masks and wore one for shopping etc even when it wasn't mandatory, as many people did. Even so, I had something similar to this described to me recently (based on the standard 3-layer surgical type masks most people wear) and it totally put things in perspective for me...

Imagine the threads of the mask are woven from ropes. There are gaps between the ropes but the weave is close enough that the ropes are wider than the gaps. The virus droplet (not the virus itself but the droplet containing it) is the size of a pea. It's possible to blast the pea through the ropes but there's plenty of rope to hit too, so it's not easy.

Now take the second layer of our rope mask and offset it from the first layer. Even harder to blast that pea through now.
Now add the third layer, again offset. You really don't stand much chance of that pea going anywhere!

Important to make sure there are no huge gaps around the sides of course, which is probably where a lot of people go wrong.

Maybe over the top but, if I have to go out I shall be wearing 3 masks.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back