Covid Pass

pamjon

Today I rang the NHS (119) to ask for an updated Covid Pass Certificate ( Booster) to be told that they only last for 30 days now. When I rang earlier last year I was told that it lasted for as long as needed! Any way, so as soon as France open up for us tourists we cannot just go, we will have to ring at least 1 and half weeks before hand to make sure that we receive the certificate. now some may say just get the App, but my husband does not have a smart phone so we would have to buy another smart phone. I watched a video today about this App and it made me cringe at how complicated it seems to get it all done plus we both use the same email address and it seems that we would have another email address too. I am beginning to wonder if it is worth it.
As an extra, I also sent the Tunnel an email to ask if they knew when they are bringing into play the Multibuy off peak tickets. Not holding my breath.
PJ

Last edited:
We both use the app on one phone but you do need 2 emails address but when you get your Q codes they only last for a month if you print them out but easy to do it again

Seems to vary by Country. the Scottish Record of Vaccination is for 3 months (printed versions).

(Just double checked mine to see if anything changed....)

Screenshot 2022-01-11 at 20-49-25 Vaccination Status-1 pdf.png

I like how the centre was called the "Covid Showground" :oops: :rolleyes:

Last edited:
You can both use your phone with the app on it. You both need different email addresses but that does not really cost.

@pamjon we have two email addresses but (Dave being a complete technophobe) his ones are copied to my email address automatically, so only look at the one account. This is gmail but I think it can be done with other email accounts.

Yes just create a Gmail account. Its dead easy, takes a couple of minutes.

You can then either set it up as an additional email address on your phone or just forward any emails to your current address in the Gmail settings.

I believe the written covid pass obtained from the nhs never had a date time limit on it. I sent for one as although I use the app I always have a concern of phone being stolen, dropped, broken etc and a paper back up gives another layer of comfort. When mine arrived it was date limited resulting in it having no advantage over the digital version.

You do need separate email addresses which to be honest is a pain, also I found that using the iPad and outlook the attachments showing the pass cold not be opened, I had to download the pdf version then email it to myself. Having now done this three times I can assure you that when in a house with Wi-Fi and time it is not easy, when in the van with only my phone and a dodgy signal it is stressful to say the least.

My conclusion is that it is almost discriminatory as the need for a smart phone and personal email addresses blocks or deters a fair number of people from travelling simply because of their perfectly reasonable lifestyles. I have now organised my phones and emails in order to make it easier to obtain and if necessary print the covid pass but the first couple of times I had to obtain one for return from abroad was less than relaxing. As for the passenger locator form it dose go on a bit and, once again, the time constraint puts extra pressure on when completing it. Having ordered our day two pcr tests, which were required at the time, it is also entertaining to receive a message from the delivery company asking if we would be at home to received the kits when you think of why they were ordered. Eventually found them in the wood store when we got back.

Still love the van wandering abroad but it has taken the shine off it, let’s hope 2022 rests back to a little normality but to be honest I have my doubts.

I do wonder why there is one "pass" to show for domestic needs and another for travel? Why not one which has information for both.....

Do you have a PC or laptop? I just went on gov.uk and downloaded ours and printed them off 👍

Regards,
Del

Do you have a PC or laptop? I just went on gov.uk and downloaded ours and printed them off 👍
Having searched gov.uk, can only find that you need to go onto the NHS app?

Regards,
Del
That’s fine at home but they are date stamped valid thirty days. It’s when you are abroad after thirty days you become totally reliant on the phone to download the app. As I said phones can break, get stolen or in one case when I tried to download the pass, have no signal. While it is ok most of the time a paper copy gives a degree of certainty that the phone does not. It is doable but not relaxing.

That’s fine at home but they are date stamped valid thirty days. It’s when you are abroad after thirty days you become totally reliant on the phone to download the app. As I said phones can break, get stolen or in one case when I tried to download the pass, have no signal. While it is ok most of the time a paper copy gives a degree of certainty that the phone does not. It is doable but not relaxing.

We live full time in the van so I have a portable printer. Couldn't you open it when you have a signal and screen print it?
That way you can show it even without a signal 🤔

Regards,
Del

The first one I downloaded only lasted a month, easy to get another one.
We only have one phone.I have a back up Gmail account, so that is the one we use if we need different addresses

Thank you for all the replies, however we have hit another problem as such.
We are thinking of going to France at the beginning of February, our problem is that because you have to have a test 24 hours before you can depart the only thing we can think of doing because we live 5 hours away from the port, we will have to travel down the day before, take the test the morning after, hope it is negative so we can board. If it is positive then we shall have to go all the way back home. Or, we can take the test at home on the morning of departure and hope it comes back by the time we reach the port and that it is negative.
We looked to see if there was a Clinic where we could go near Dover but could not find one.
PJ

If you are going to France they accept a lateral flow test with certificate ( fit to fly) which you do at home or on the way. Results by email quite quickly some say under two hours, most up to six so I would do it at home and cross fingers. Could always do an extra, free NHS one the eve before or even before departure that morning to check ? Found a clinic at Folkestone Here if you want faceto face and result in an hour.

Hmm we found here in Portugal that some of the campsites couldn't/wouldn't use a paper copy and needed to scan the QR codes from our phones. Have to say though we've had no issues at all. Came out 16/12 and much rather be here where there is space than having to fight my way round Lidl at home to shop!

Today I rang the NHS (119) to ask for an updated Covid Pass Certificate ( Booster) to be told that they only last for 30 days now. When I rang earlier last year I was told that it lasted for as long as needed! Any way, so as soon as France open up for us tourists we cannot just go, we will have to ring at least 1 and half weeks before hand to make sure that we receive the certificate. now some may say just get the App, but my husband does not have a smart phone so we would have to buy another smart phone. I watched a video today about this App and it made me cringe at how complicated it seems to get it all done plus we both use the same email address and it seems that we would have another email address too. I am beginning to wonder if it is worth it.
As an extra, I also sent the Tunnel an email to ask if they knew when they are bringing into play the Multibuy off peak tickets. Not holding my breath.
PJ
You can down load one and print it out at home.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back