Could you abstain?

I always wonder why we are very obsessed with whats happening in the USA. Its a nice place but im not American. Id rather know whats going on here, Europe and maybe occassional international. The coverage of the USA election was huge! Im just about weened off the BBC watch a bit of Sky. Its just all negative stuff, not much positive. Funnily enough in Covid I was weeks ahead of many BBC stories just by a quick look on Youtube.
I guess it is due to the Orange twerp. Hate him or Hate him, it was certainly interesting to hear what stupidy he came up with next. He was certainly a bit of a cult.

(I am not sure when/where I will wear my Red MAGA cap that I got for Christmas along with trump toilet paper :) )

Impossible I would say at the moment unless you just switch off your laptops, phones, tablets etc. That would mean no social media including Wild camping! o_O

What would you do all day long? :ROFLMAO:

What would I do in the day? I look at the BBC news website with my morning tea and look at the newspaper front pages, then read the "I" while having breakfast and will read at least another two papers on the Pressreader app, courtesy of the local library, and listen to Radio Four all day. I know I'll get a life.
PressReader is a great app like you I have it courtesy of the library :)

If you a free thinking enough to consider taking a break from the news then unfortunately you probably have a social responsibility to stay engaged with the news and react when necessary.

Example today; I will be now keeping an eye out for any petitions to block the proposed mass spending on nuclear warheads

Like it or not the BBC is still seen Worlwide as the global standard for accurate unbiased news.
However like many other here I also pad it out with various other souces including the i newspaper
and the weekend financial times. I buy it for the figures on page three !!!.

Dezi

Saturday Times every week. Little crossword, big crossword, code word and sudoku. Good leaders and entertaining columns plus there is enough to light my wood burner with for the following week. Great value.......

One great thing about being away in the Moho is the ability to switch off.
Our latest van came with a TV already fitted. For me, that's a retrograde step.

Like pailjenny, we have no live tv channels. We watch iPlayer but avoid the news. Listen to radio4 evening and world news and bits of the today programme. Mostly get Portuguese news from safe communities portugal who kindly translate all newest proclamations. The news show and mock the week sometimes provide a bit of UK news which I follow up on. And sometimes see things on here as which I research further. Mostly the news seems regurgitated over the day! Would do without FB except to catch up with son in Thailand, use messenger mostly.....it's just a time waster if not very careful!

An issue is that many people simply do not want good quality news, they desire to read and listen to news that compliments and doesn't make them question their beliefs. The Daily Mail is unashamedly bigoted, it has racked up more sanctions against it from the Independent Press Standards Organisation than any other source and I assume most readers are completely aware that the content is so bias that it simply not reliable news but............ it is by far the most popular paper 🤷‍♂️

So what do 'we' actually want from the news?

What do we want from the newspapers?
Well, when I was much younger (under 10 years old), I used to read the Daily Express.

I have to say as well, I did read the more 'high-brow' content rather than the simple rhymes in the balloon captions :geek:

(anyone familiar with the "Rupert Bear" strip will recognise that of which I refer :p )

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back