Clothiers Arms, Stocksmoor welcomes large gatherings

What a shame.

The Navigation is one of my favourite stopovers and Roger and Jan have always made us more than welcome and have become good friends.

Some people have nothing better to do than moan if they see anybody else enjoying themselves, and of course, councils can't be having it if there's nothing in it for them, that just wouldn't do!

What a shame.

The Navigation is one of my favourite stopovers and Roger and Jan have always made us more than welcome and have become good friends.

Some people have nothing better to do than moan if they see anybody else enjoying themselves, and of course, councils can't be having it if there's nothing in it for them, that just wouldn't do!

Difficult one in fairness.... (I live within 20 minutes of the navvy AND having lived on the cut for a good while even before it was 'cool' to do so)

I can see that the odd campervan/motorhome overnighting up there would barely raise an eyebrow (even round there ;-))

The carpark being filled to the brim with campervans/motorhomes (seen quite often on some of the facebook/forum pages)
Is pretty much guaranteed to raise folks hackles.... And question permissions being in place.

Sad state of affairs (not just for those of us that have enjoyed the welcome and opportunity to spend a few quid there) BUT also for the owners....

The curse of popularity ehhh?

I phoned the Navigation to make sure they could accommodate 2 motorhomesfor the weekend just gone and they declined. They told me that until further notice they can't accept any motorhomes stopping overnight. She told me that several locals have complained to the council and they are being investigated. She said they are currently liaising with the council and they hope to resolve the problem soon. That's all I know.

I had a pub once,''well several actually'',this particular one was called The Boat and Railway,Shaw lane,Stoke Prior,Bromsgrove.When My wife''ex'' and I went there it was a down and out place taking very little money,but with it's location on the Birmingham/Worcester canal I thought I'd take a punt.
We went in as tenants,owned everything inside,but not the building.After a lot of hard graft and long hours we got it back on it's feet.
We advertised the function room,from that we got birthday/wedding bashes the lot.We even got a Hells Angels chapter having gigs there,absolutely top notch.
Oh,try the big fishing match breakfasts and after contest celebrations due...drinking started at 5am along with breakfast,you better believe it.
So what's my point?..the point is,I had a huge birthday bash one Saturday night,put in for my usual extension while 2.00am at court..got that,no problem.
For all you old blues fans,you might remember Stan Webb and Chickenshack,with a line up in the 60's which included Christine Mc.Vie..of Fleetwood Mac.They were the main attraction that night.
The gig went down a storm,boats arrived and moored up for the night,campersvans came,couldn't count the number of cars+mini buses.
The next day,''sunday'' just as dinner session was in full swing,in walked the ''old bill''......can I have a word Steve,he said.
In a nutshell he said that he had been on duty the saturday night because they had a complaint come in from a local about the amount of vehicles and people coming and going.
The police found nothing untoward and told the local the same.
That same local also complained to the council,they too told him that all that was going on was legal...see,the thing is,when there is someone with common sense,and no axe to grind,everyone will get along...In my experience, lazy good for nothing people get jealous of seeing people succeed,and these are the ones who ruin the WORLD.
By the way,the complainant never did step foot in my pub,ever.
Let's hope that the landlord stands up for himself.

Tipical, we had this situation in a village next to ours, only a small village with one pub, the landlord wanted to close at lunch times as there wasnt any customers and he could save on the heating and lights, an old pratt in the village who hadnt used the pub for years objected to this by way of the council and the outcome was that the pub had to stay open as per the licence laws, another case of I dont like it so I will object.
What happened to the live and let live life style, the sad part is that those in authority seem to agree with the pratts who make these objections and dont look at the practical side.
This story has a great outcome, the old bu--er who complained got barred out of the pub he used and now has to travel 8 miles to get a drink.
Just goes to show that sometimes there is justice in this world.
Hope the Navvy gets the problem resolved soon.
Regards Ken

As far as I know,unless you are a managed house you could open and close when you wanted as long as you didn't open any longer than the permitted hours for licensing at that time...council couldn't do anything about it then.You put your hours of opening and closing in your pub premises.Bullshine me thinks

As far as I know,unless you are a managed house you could open and close when you wanted as long as you didn't open any longer than the permitted hours for licensing at that time...council couldn't do anything about it then.You put your hours of opening and closing in your pub premises.Bullshine me thinks

At one time in Scotland and [I think] England you were obliged to open at the times you were licensed for .This stupid rule was revoked many years ago .
There was an administrative cock up when the Scottish licensing act was altered a few years ago and this rule inadvertently reappeared . It has been stated that it will never be enforced

Killer punch

I never realised the Navi has become out of bounds for us. Its one of our favourite meeting places. It is one of the nearest fore me as well. We have made many friends through the meets at the Navigation, like Rob says Roger and Jan are like family and the bar staff are more like mates than workers. I suppose one way of looking at it, is it will certainly improve my bank account. Me Rob and others would spend a minimum of £50 a day and sometimes over £100 on long days with meals thrown in. I sure hope they get it sorted in our favour, because this destination will be well missed.
.... Tom ....

Having ran pubs myself I am watching this thread with interest albeit I do fear the outcome will be negative for all concerned.

There are a few references to the licensing Act well all changed in 2003 . In essence a premises has a licence to retail alcohol (that can never be removed except by the land owner) the second part is the licencing hours granted by the licensing authority who are the local council, with representatives from the police NHS or any other interested party Prior to 2003 Magistrates decided. The LA determine your hours, dictate times music can be played live and recorded it differs and the licence then states alterations for example variations on hours at Christmas Easter Bankholidays. Each Premises then has a Designated premises supervisor (normally the landlord) Who holds a personal licence and it is his job to maintain the licence conditions.

Ultimately the issue the DPS has, is in order to gain a personal licence he has to sit an exam. But here is the rub, any licence review or prosecution the first question asked is do you hold a licence. therefore you have passed an exam which illustrates you knew the rules ....Guilty ! It is very difficult to defend and has I mentioned earlier the rules are very non prescriptive.

The issue the Navigation has now I suspect is they are well and truly on the radar of the council and police. I would doubt the police or council would call for a review of the licence. However persuading the council under the CDA or anything else I feel will be difficult any amendement to public planning can be objected and I can see that happening

It is just a pity a couple trying to make a living in what has become an extremely tough industry have had an income stream stemmed like this.

Channa

Just a update on the original post in this topic . I have spoke to Mike of the Clothiers arms today and it seems he has had a change of mind regarding a gathering on the car park , he says he does not mind 2 or 3 vans but no more than that , Shame really as it looks a nice venue . Thanks for post anyway

Just a update on the original post in this topic . I have spoke to Mike of the Clothiers arms today and it seems he has had a change of mind regarding a gathering on the car park , he says he does not mind 2 or 3 vans but no more than that , Shame really as it looks a nice venue . Thanks for post anyway

The wills o natts in meltham has a large field that would hold plenty of vans, we had over 120 tractors in a few years back many with trailers so would have thought would hold 50 vans,it is a good pub with good food,

The wills o natts in meltham has a large field that would hold plenty of vans, we had over 120 tractors in a few years back many with trailers so would have thought would hold 50 vans,it is a good pub with good food,

I am looking for a venue for the beginning of March so we need a hard standing car park , I have never been to this pub, will the car park hold 15 vans ?

I am looking for a venue for the beginning of March so we need a hard standing car park , I have never been to this pub, will the car park hold 15 vans ?

I will find out over the weekend, I know he spent a lot of time and money a few years ago putting drainage into the field,so this might still be ok, but it has been a very wet winter, his daughter and son in law are members on here, but don’t seem to come on the forum,user name pdei

I will find out over the weekend, I know he spent a lot of time and money a few years ago putting drainage into the field,so this might still be ok, but it has been a very wet winter, his daughter and son in law are members on here, but don’t seem to come on the forum,user name pdei

Thanks Helen , I have spoke to Bob ( the Landlord ) and the gathering has been confirmed March 9 - 11 , 2018 , it is in the gathering section of this forum

Wills O Nats , Meltham , Holmfirth , West Yorkshire , 9th - 11th March 2018

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back