Clothiers Arms, Stocksmoor welcomes large gatherings

Talbot

Unfortunately as the Navigation Inn, Bugsworth Basin is currently on motorhome lockdown due to local residents complaining, we had to look for another pub this weekend. We decided on the Clothiers Arms near Holmfirth. Really nice pub, real fires and the restaurant is sublet to an Indian restaurant serving great food. Good walking directly from the pub. Holmfirth only 3.7 miles walk away. Train station adjacent to the pub with trains every hour to Huddersfield town centre (15 minutes) and Sheffield Meadowhall if your thing is shopping. Bus stop in front of pub with buses every 2 hours. Taxi to Holmfirth £8.

There are two large tarmaced car parks which could take a lot of motorhomes with a combination of flat and partially sloping so levellers may be required. I asked the landlord about wildcamping gatherings and they say they're up for trying a meeting with up to 20 motorhomes initially as they also need to reserve some parking for their regulars. If anyone is interested in arranging a gathering please liaise with either Mike or Sue. There is no charge for parking but obviously they expect campers to use the bar and the restaurant if you like a curry. They also offer a takeaway service with 15% discount off the list prices.

I shall post some photos of the car park so you can see the potential.

When we had our Hymer Exsis we used to stop there on the way too or from Lowdhams great value for food and very good beers. Has it completely gone over to Indian cuisine?

Yes. The Indian runs the restaurant and the pub serves the drinks. The pub is very comfortable with individual seating areas, leather chesterfields etc. The restaurant is accessed via the pub but is run separately. It seems to work well.

IMG_20180114_121945.jpgIMG_20180114_122034.jpg

This is the lower car park, but there is another large car park at the top left of the photo although it can't be seen in this photo.

Last edited:
I would be up for a meet asap I like the short winter meet's .big shame about bugsworth .Bazz
:mad1::mad1::mad1:

Last edited:
What's happened with the navvy then???

I phoned the Navigation to make sure they could accommodate 2 motorhomesfor the weekend just gone and they declined. They told me that until further notice they can't accept any motorhomes stopping overnight. She told me that several locals have complained to the council and they are being investigated. She said they are currently liaising with the council and they hope to resolve the problem soon. That's all I know.

This is so unfair for the pub. The locals are only sniffy cos they can't park for free in the pubs private car park. That's all it can be, cos we're not in anyones way, blocking roads or views. Those who have complained probably don't use the pub either.

Wonder if there's a disgruntled campsite owner nearby?

This is so unfair for the pub. The locals are only sniffy cos they can't park for free in the pubs private car park. That's all it can be, cos we're not in anyones way, blocking roads or views. Those who have complained probably don't use the pub either.

Can't think of any sites close by BUT some of the locals round there are an odd lot...
Shame for the navvy though.... Hope they manage to sort it out.

I believe a few complaints came from the other side of the dual carriageway. There is a row of cottages overlooking the cricket pitch. I don't think they can even see the pub from there, although I suppose it's possible they could see the car park and the motorhomes from their bedrooms or loft conversions. Who knows!

I don't know what the council will do in such circumstances. Do they have the authority to stop them?

I believe a few complaints came from the other side of the dual carriageway. There is a row of cottages overlooking the cricket pitch. I don't think they can even see the pub from there, although I suppose it's possible they could see the car park and the motorhomes from their bedrooms or loft conversions. Who knows!

I don't know what the council will do in such circumstances. Do they have the authority to stop them?

The 1960 Caravan Act would prevent it.

It is not enforced unless there is a complaint. All of the Pubs in the Pub Stop scheme are breaking the Law (strictly speaking).

Tipical, we had this situation in a village next to ours, only a small village with one pub, the landlord wanted to close at lunch times as there wasnt any customers and he could save on the heating and lights, an old pratt in the village who hadnt used the pub for years objected to this by way of the council and the outcome was that the pub had to stay open as per the licence laws, another case of I dont like it so I will object.
What happened to the live and let live life style, the sad part is that those in authority seem to agree with the pratts who make these objections and dont look at the practical side.
This story has a great outcome, the old bu--er who complained got barred out of the pub he used and now has to travel 8 miles to get a drink.
Just goes to show that sometimes there is justice in this world.
Hope the Navvy gets the problem resolved soon.
Regards Ken

I said in the past this would happen and oh no it wouldn't, Not only is the caravan development act an issue, But the pubs are putting their licences at potential risk if the LA or police are of the opinion they are not preventing public disorder or public nuisance,

Channa

We'd still be OK to have meets there I would think, with our camping exemption? Shame about casual stopovers though... it was a really good place to break a journey and be sure of a welcome.

My understanding of the rules is that any pub can allow one motorhome to overnight but no more than that.

Luckily the laws have changed and pubs can choose their hours now, but that pub could have stayed 'open' with no heating or lighting on and all but one of the doors locked.
reminds me of a village pub (one of around 8 in the village) where a friend and I went to one evening. we were the only ones there and as we wondered around to the dart board, bar billard table, etc, the landlord followed us and turned off the lights of the areas we left. No wonder we were the only two in the pub!

We'd still be OK to have meets there I would think, with our camping exemption? Shame about casual stopovers though... it was a really good place to break a journey and be sure of a welcome.

My understanding of the rules is that any pub can allow one motorhome to overnight but no more than that.

WC exemption certificate addresses the CDA act. However if he has a negative local authority which was my point an eon ago is that under the licensing Act 2003 he could well have problems. One cornerstone of the act is preventing public nuisance. what does that mean ? I don't know either other than the laws are non prescriptive and are tested in court. I know of a case where a beer chiller extractor fan was noisy ...it was reviewed and in the contact had the licensee prevented public nuisance .....I know damn well as much as you do the WC people are a good crowd but a gaggle of vans could potentially be leaving early late noisy ,play music , loud conversations....etc the list is endless..but the question remains have I as a landlord prevented public nuisance by allowing stops I may have forego that ..I hope I am making sense.

Re the Navigation, a well known hostelry and its warm welcome given how the law can be applied could be in trouble. I hope not of course and hope it sorts itself out and that everyone including the licencees get a satisfactory conclusion without more t and c imposed

Channa

WC exemption certificate addresses the CDA act. However if he has a negative local authority which was my point an eon ago is that under the licensing Act 2003 he could well have problems. One cornerstone of the act is preventing public nuisance. what does that mean ? I don't know either other than the laws are non prescriptive and are tested in court. I know of a case where a beer chiller extractor fan was noisy ...it was reviewed and in the contact had the licensee prevented public nuisance .....I know damn well as much as you do the WC people are a good crowd but a gaggle of vans could potentially be leaving early late noisy ,play music , loud conversations....etc the list is endless..but the question remains have I as a landlord prevented public nuisance by allowing stops I may have forego that ..I hope I am making sense.

Re the Navigation, a well known hostelry and its warm welcome given how the law can be applied could be in trouble. I hope not of course and hope it sorts itself out and that everyone including the licencees get a satisfactory conclusion without more t and c imposed

Channa

Be a great, IF it isn't....
As the times I have stopped there (probably spending close on £50/£80 on food and beer over the bar)

Rather than nursing a pint or two for the whole night....

Wonder IF the folks that object to folks parking up there wood be happy IF the place closed due to lack of funds over the bar??

thats

thats charge in to much .pj

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back