Clean air zones

Pudsey Bear

Correct title at last ;) ;)

We drove the van through Glasgow & we drove through Edinburg, (no letters yet) big mistake to drive through Edinburgh, over an hour to cross the city as it was the start of the Cannonball Run that day, but no complaints as we had more time to look at that beautiful city and observe the nutters in all their glory.

Anyway, Clean air zones? what do we think about them? Are they destined to be a fad and scrapped as none effective?

If this is an example, possibly.

My thinking is that if they are proven to be none effective other than as a barrier to entry on cost grounds then they should be voted out at council level, but this would involve people being proactive.

The ULEZ's have been effective though. They have allowed people to show the world what wonderfully good caring people they are.

The London Mayor has already said that people who don't agree with ULEZ's, don't care about children, are right wing extremists, covid deniers, and worst of all, are probably Tories too. :ROFLMAO: What a ....!

I would note that the example used by the Brexpress hasn't proved anything, it is comparing one of the lowest months for polution in years with the first month of CAZ, that's like saying climate change is a fact due to todays temperatures being 5 degrees higher than yesterday and by end of year life will be extinct.

I would note that the example used by the Brexpress hasn't proved anything, it is comparing one of the lowest months for polution in years with the first month of CAZ, that's like saying climate change is a fact due to todays temperatures being 5 degrees higher than yesterday and by end of year life will be extinct.
I won't bother getting another van then now I know that. (y)

I was just looking to reply to another thread and noticed Google has a new "Air Quality" layer to investigate, not looked at it yet, I'm just posting the page view, I suspect it's not a navigation aid to avoid CA Zones just what the air quality is.

1688455912671.png

The Lord Provost's Official Car does not comply with Glasgow's LEZ, but I bet she has not been fined ... Corrupt? Of course

With any luck, it will kill off Glasgow's retail economy and screw the Council Revenues into the floor as stores move to out of town locations. And, tto return to my hobbyhorse, a Glaswegian Motorhomer I know from another Forum posted a message last week 'Don't think you'll need suncream. We've had our logburner on all week' ...

Steve

Last edited:
There is more to "Clean air zones" than just the headline fines for entering one.

We have one along the A483 at Wrexham.
It's a mandatory 50 Mph zone for all vehicles even my EV! for about a mile to improve local air quality, obviously as with all unmanaged speed limits hardly anyone pays attention and I used to feel quite unsafe on that stretch trying to obey the limit on my motorbike.

No doubt there are many more across the country

We the people have a vote and we moan instead of using it or writing letters to the councils & MPs.

Not all Kev.

The London borough of Sutton are due to be included in the LEZ as from next month and are actually taking the council to court to prevent it. Andy Burnham (Manchester) was very keen on Clean Air Zones until he realised how many votes it would lose him and he then distanced himself from it.

Not all Kev.

The London borough of Sutton are due to be included in the LEZ as from next month and are actually taking the council to court to prevent it. Andy Burnham (Manchester) was very keen on Clean Air Zones until he realised how many votes it would lose him and he then distanced himself from it.
I'm not saying CAZ are not a good idea, but the means they have chosen is a tax on the poor, which probably seriously affects small businesses in town, and must affect tourism too.

Quite agree Kev.

In effect they are pretty much saying that it's fine to pollute as long as you pay.
Yep 100% correct, the wealthy can afford to pollute, hence all the high value high emission cars being used especially in London, no doubt smart accountants even can help to offset that trifling cost against tax!

Those that can’t afford to change their vehicles or who inadvertently make the mistake of entering these zones are the intended victims, but isn’t that the way taxes have always worked.

My gripe also is it should not ever be applied to any private vehicle regardless of weight or classification if it is a private vehicle then a disabled person could be driving it, and a disabled person may not be able to get to their destination any other way than by car or a motorhome or whatever it doesn't matter.

Commercial vehicles also need to make deliveries into town centres, and some belong to very small businesses that can't afford to upgrade their vehicle, and how long before they move the goalposts on what is okay and what is not?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back