Cite Europe

carmel thornton

Free Member
Has anyone overnighted at Cite Europe recently? I was wondering if it was recommended as safe. We have slept there several times in the past when arriving late in the day or when catching an early ferry/ shuttle. However, last time in early September, when there was a lot of comment in the media about stowaways and or thefts from motorhomes, we were warned not to stay by a Dutch camper who said it was no longer advisable to stay over, or to leave the motorhome unattended for longer than necessary. We did see several dubious looking men wandering aimlessly around the car park whilst we were there including one watching the car park from the roof of the multi storey carpark opposite.. We drove to Wissant for the evening.... However, we have an early train on Wednesday and it would be so much easier to overnight at Cite Europe,...I was wondering if anyone has done it recently or got any more up to date ideas about the security there....

Personally I have never liked the idea of staying overnight at Cite Europe, and even the once or twice that we have done a small amount of shopping there in the day I was concerned about leaving the MH unattended. I would find another spot myself.

I'd rather stay at the free aire at Wissant - less than 15 miles away and quiet and safe.

I confess we haven't stopped over lately, but never had any trouble there. On one occasion, Max our dog, sniffed out three hopefuls under a coach, but it was all a non event, they just brushed themselves down and walked away. It doesn't take more than a couple of seconds to glance under your vehicle to check all is ok. The hopefuls don't know, and have no way of finding out whether you are homeward bound or heading deeper into France.

Regards Rog

We usually stay at Wissant too. It's a nice town, near the beach and only about 15 / 20 minutes to the channel crossings.

Gravelines is only an easy 20min drive from Eurotunnel too if you're concerned. We stayed at Wissant once and liked the town and beach but weren't struck by the aire. There were coaches and cars using it and it was very busy and crowded.

Is there much to do at Wissant? Places to eat etc?
There's a pretty good restaurant almost next door to the aire, but if you walk on a little further and down into the village (turn right away from the main road) there are plenty of places there.

Hi,
My experience was last year so things may have changed but thought I'd still share comment on alternative Aire.
I planned on staying overnight at Cite but moved on to Gravelines due to teenagers constantly circling my van; first time ever I've felt uncomfortable as a lone traveller even though I'd my two dogs with me. Gravelines was great, lovely views and great beach for a stroll.

Enjoy your travels

We also use Gravelines, very quiet spot and not far to Dover, if we are travelling on the ferry after midday we use Paris Plage Le Touquet which again is quiet and not too far away with the advantage of a brilliant Vet for the Dogs

I've stayed at Cite Europe twice, when using the Tunnel, never had a problem apart from it being a bit noisy. Park up against a fence if you are worried about boy racers. Get to Gravelines early as it's very popular now, the area they've designated for Motorhomes was full when we turned up mid afternoon last month.
They've halved the size of the Calais seafront Aire (also full when we looked), but the one by the Marina is huge. We stayed there (early Ferry) nobody came round to collect money.

Stayed at Cite Europe last Friday 10th. Arrived just before midnight a few vans and very quiet.
No kids, nutters, stowaways but they were probably all in bed by then.

If waitinf for ferry I usually overnight at Fort Nieulay just on the outskirts of Calaise. Never been asked to move yet, In fact rarely see anyone there at night. It was one ofmy personal secret stopovers but not able to go across the water anymore I can now share it. :lol-053:

If waitinf for ferry I usually overnight at Fort Nieulay just on the outskirts of Calaise. Never been asked to move yet, In fact rarely see anyone there at night. It was one ofmy personal secret stopovers but not able to go across the water anymore I can now share it. :lol-053:
Looks a good spot for Eurotunnel waiting! Why are you unable to go across the water though?

Cite Europe is still perfectly ok. There are occasional 'hopeful' migrants seen in the area but the security is fairly good. Regular security patrols who are motorhome friendly in evidence. The hopefuls tend to hang out in the wooded area at one end of the car park looking for a coach or even a cycle rack to hide inside. Just take sensible precautions and all will be fine.

As an alternative you can park overnight anywhere near to Auchan in Coquelles (or Fort Nieulay nearby) we've never had a problem at any of the locations.

Gravelines is ok and so is the free Aire at Oye PLage which we used last time.

Hi, I regularly ride to Paris via the tunnel, and have noticed more immigrants in the area, including 6 under the bridge as you come off the tunnel passing the total services on the left, keeping left for the A16 for paris the first overhead bridge you come to thats where they are on the right, there will be more in other areas, even seen one being held by tunnel staff at the UK end on the coach/MH section, even seen one on the M20 on the hard shoulder with the Police last week, its been stated that migrants have been seen as far as Paris looking for a free ride, they are targeting anything they can get into or hang onto etc.. Cite has cctv I believe, and there is a car park thats lit up where Ive seen MH's parked up for the night.. as said be vigilant, I suppose thats not good advice if your on edge and worried in this situation.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back