Chinese

Yes there was a lot of snobbery about the folk that had linns, not me I used mine lots of times and have a massive pile of direct metal master records from way back, some now worth more than my camper.
Bizarrely I was at young Tiefenbraun's house (son of owner?) to sort (give technical advice) about his tv reception.
He was a snobby git but easily persuaded to play stuff on his sound system

I always find it amusing that there was this desire to have great Hi-Fi, with seperates in racks with anti-vibration floor pins, amps with valves for warm sounds, insanely priced turntables, etc, etc, and then MP3 players arrived and all just about anyone begun to care about is how many tracks they can carry in their pocket, and how they had to have the smallest player.

To paraphrase Harry Enfield... Sod the sound quality, come here and look at my Pod

Now I need a set of snowchains, hopefully will never had to put them on but I have to carry them for the Police in France. Low and behold the only ones I can buy at a sensible price is from China. When I look on Ebay it says from Litchfield or Uttoxeter which is just down the road from us but scroll down and the business seller is based in China.
PM sent ;)

I used mine lots of times and have a massive pile of direct metal master records from way back, some now worth more than my camper.
I have bootleg cd's worth more than a Skoda :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

My theory is ultimate sound quality started to decline with digitisation. As soon as you 'chop' the sound waveform up and store it as 1s and zeros you lose subtle nuances that literally 'make' the music. It still sounds perfectly acceptable and of course you can copy it a gazillion times without any loss and a huge library can be stored on a tiny chip but that leads to the 'more is better' attitude towards music and ultimately the magic that was lost in the digitisation can never be retrieved.

My theory is ultimate sound quality started to decline with digitisation. As soon as you 'chop' the sound waveform up and store it as 1s and zeros you lose subtle nuances that literally 'make' the music. It still sounds perfectly acceptable and of course you can copy it a gazillion times without any loss and a huge library can be stored on a tiny chip but that leads to the 'more is better' attitude towards music and ultimately the magic that was lost in the digitisation can never be retrieved.
Yeah, I sure miss all that hiss and crackle! (ducks and runs for cover) ;)

Yeah, I sure miss all that hiss and crackle! (ducks and runs for cover) ;)

Yup, it all went down hill when the upgraded from this :(

HMV 1.jpg

Owned a Sondek for a couple of years myself Trev, great TT but a sod to set up and get the best out of. Tried several 'upgrades' including power supplies, Trampolin etc but the biggest upgrade I got was was simply taking the lid off!!
Had a Michell Odyssey for many years now, superb TT and a Great British Product!:)
£3500! As daft as a Linn!

Back in the day I had what was regarded as a very good turntable at a sensible cost - and still made by a British company....

Dual CS505 - think it was around £60.
Did the job perfectly i.e. played records to listen to rather than sitting there trying to identify flaws.
I got it out the loft to try and use it again back in 2007 but the rubber belt had perished and stuck itself to the pulleys. Threw it and gave all my LPs to a niece and just stuck with the CDs.

Hi-Fi snobbery can be akin to Wine Snobbery. The actual enjoyment of the product takes 2nd place to analysing it.
There is a good phrase that can be used when doing many things in life and I reckon is very appropriate to the world of High Fidelity (and Wine for that matter) ... "The Best is the enemy of the Good". The striving for perfection (which is never achieved) stops you enjoying what you started out wanting in the first place.

Back in the day I had what was regarded as a very good turntable at a sensible cost - and still made by a British company....

Did the job perfectly i.e. played records to listen to rather than sitting there trying to identify flaws.
I got it out the loft to try and use it again back in 2007 but the rubber belt had perished and stuck itself to the pulleys. Threw it and gave all my LPs to a niece and just stuck with the CDs.

Hi-Fi snobbery can be akin to Wine Snobbery. The actual enjoyment of the product takes 2nd place to analysing it.
There is a good phrase that can be used when doing many things in life and I reckon is very appropriate to the world of High Fidelity (and Wine for that matter) ... "The Best is the enemy of the Good". The striving for perfection (which is never achieved) stops you enjoying what you started out wanting in the first place.
Some folk are deaf, not your fault. 😂

How come everything I want to buy is from China! I tried to buy an outside table for the Motor Home , did loads of research and sent emails asking the question, where is it manufactured but in the end I had to buy Chinese.
Now I need a set of snowchains, hopefully will never had to put them on but I have to carry them for the Police in France. Low and behold the only ones I can buy at a sensible price is from China. When I look on Ebay it says from Litchfield or Uttoxeter which is just down the road from us but scroll down and the business seller is based in China.
I was looking at the zip tie ones (orange) which seem if you have to use them very easy to put on. Do we not make anything in this country anymore?
PJ
Hi. We have unfortunately just had to sell our Motorhome. I have a brand new, unused set of snow chains for Ducato wheels. If your interested I can dig them out and send you some pics.

Well currently £3500 only gets you the TT and the arm is another 1k.
I reckon I could re-sell mine second hand for around 3k, I paid £1800 back in 2007 and that included the arm so even taking inflation into account I see it as I've had a superb piece of equipment that looks beautiful and I've thoroughly enjoyed listening to AND it's made me money.
Not so daft me thinks! ;)🤗

How come everything I want to buy is from China! I tried to buy an outside table for the Motor Home , did loads of research and sent emails asking the question, where is it manufactured but in the end I had to buy Chinese.
I was looking at the zip tie ones (orange) which seem if you have to use them very easy to put on. Do we not make anything in this country anymore?
PJ
Hey guys, what's all this about snow chains in France? I've driven there dozens of times & never taken snow chains.

Is this a new thingy?

Hey guys, what's all this about snow chains in France? I've driven there dozens of times & never taken snow chains.

Is this a new thingy?
Not new but it depends which area of France you are going to, we were stopped going over the Alps so that they could check the tyres, I was OK with full winter tyres and snow chains but quite a few were told to turn around and go back, that was over ten years ago

Edit:. Not quite ten years ago it was 2015, I know because we bumped in to Stanski

Last edited:
Well currently £3500 only gets you the TT and the arm is another 1k.
I reckon I could re-sell mine second hand for around 3k, I paid £1800 back in 2007 and that included the arm so even taking inflation into account I see it as I've had a superb piece of equipment that looks beautiful and I've thoroughly enjoyed listening to AND it's made me money.
Not so daft me thinks! ;)🤗
I was lucky and got mine from a chap who had bought it for his terminal wife, he brought it to my work and did not know to remove the heavy disc, after explaining to him it would have to go back to leric hifi in belfast to have the chassis tension reset we agreed £300, at that time they were £550 with no arm.

I think snow chains are mandatory at a certain time of year and may be asked to see them, same with snow tyres.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back