Chinese

Sorry young Ral, they are assembled there but still built in China. I know this as a fact....................honest
Damn. Two bean cans and a length of string then.
Flipping string and cans will probably be made in China too though 😭

How come everything I want to buy is from China! I tried to buy an outside table for the Motor Home , did loads of research and sent emails asking the question, where is it manufactured but in the end I had to buy Chinese.
Now I need a set of snowchains, hopefully will never had to put them on but I have to carry them for the Police in France. Low and behold the only ones I can buy at a sensible price is from China. When I look on Ebay it says from Litchfield or Uttoxeter which is just down the road from us but scroll down and the business seller is based in China.
I was looking at the zip tie ones (orange) which seem if you have to use them very easy to put on. Do we not make anything in this country anymore?
PJ

China has 2 large warehouses in Litchfield and Uttoxeter as well as several other sites in the UK so they can dispatch from them.

That way you don`t get charged customs / VAT like you would if it was sent to you direct from China.

China has 2 large warehouses in Litchfield and Uttoxeter as well as several other sites in the UK so they can dispatch from them.

That way you don`t get charged customs / VAT like you would if it was sent to you direct from China.

Stupid question, but how does that work?

Surely any goods manufactured in China still have to be shipped into the UK to be stored in said warehouses before distribution, so I’m assuming they would be subject to the same import duties and VAT as goods from other parts of the world at point of entry?

How is it a different arrangement for Chinese goods as opposed to goods from anywhere else?

(Can you tell I’ve never been an international trader?! 🤣🤣🤣🤪 )

Last edited:
Going back to the OP, I was and am so fed up with the fact that oh so many products you want to buy, turn out to be Chinese, so when it came to our table which we use both inside and out, I made my own and 7 years later it is still like new!

The one thing that does drive me absolutely bonkers, stark raving mad is when a UK company tries so damn hard to disguise their products are actually made in China............ Just the other day we bought and extending line washing line from the company known as Minky who proudly advertise "Celebrating 80 years, British Design & Manufacturing", so on receipt of the clothes line I thoroughly checked everything and there hidden, almost invisibly in the smallest of white out 6 point type the dreaded words "made in China"!!

It's the same with Hunter wellies, there they are carrying all their Royal Warrants, now you try and find anywhere on them where they are made and you will be doing so for a long time, but there, stamped into the very low quality rubber of the heel, the same dreaded country of manufacture and yet they are still allowed to carry a Royal Warrant!

Stupid question, but how does that work?

Surely any goods manufactured in China still have to be shipped into the UK to be stored in said warehouses before distribution, so I’m assuming they would be subject to the same import duties and VAT as goods from other parts of the world at point of entry?

How is it a different arrangement for Chinese goods as opposed to goods from anywhere else?

(Can you tell I’ve never been an international trader?! 🤣🤣🤣🤪 )
They will have paid duties VAT before you purchase.

That saves you delivery being held up while you get sent a letter from Royal Mail informing of fees payable before you get your parcel. Oh, plus the Royal Mail handling fees which is about £12 I think.

Certainly heard a Linn , in Ivan Tiefenbraun's (?) house actually.
Guy was an absolute arse but , yes , great equipment
Back in the days of "proper" Hi Fi and Separates, it was said that the typical Linn Sondek owner only ever used to own and play one disc - that being the reference platter to make sure it was setup correctly.

I used to be into Home Cinema pre the days of HDMI and DVDs and the "reference" video for the aficionados was much more fun .... "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" :D

What's up , Doc? 🐰

Back in the days of "proper" Hi Fi and Separates, it was said that the typical Linn Sondek owner only ever used to own and play one disc - that being the reference platter to make sure it was setup correctly.

I used to be into Home Cinema pre the days of HDMI and DVDs and the "reference" video for the aficionados was much more fun .... "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" :D

What's up , Doc? 🐰
Yes there was a lot of snobbery about the folk that had linns, not me I used mine lots of times and have a massive pile of direct metal master records from way back, some now worth more than my camper.

Remember when stuff was expensive? You’d save up to buy something, and because that something was expensive, you would maintain and fix it. And that something was probably made in the UK.
Every time I visit the tip I’m amazed at what folk throw away. I remember as a kid working my socks off to get the money together to buy a secondhand push bike. If I wanted a bike now, just take your pick at the tip!
We want and like cheap stuff, that means it has to be made with a cheap workforce..
Would you buy second hand furniture?
Definitely, my American dresser is over 100 years old, the bureau bookcase is 150 years old, large bookcase also 150 years old, display cabinet 200 years old as is the chest of drawers, table is 250 years old but the oldest item is the longcase clock, the maker went skint in 1710!

Recently, I wanted another Tall narrow chest of drawers, I couldn't believe the muck on sale in the stores, 700 quid for what I would call a criminal waste of trees.
I found a scruffy old oak 7 drawer chest at a boot sale for 20 quid, painted the carcass white, stripped & polished the drawer fronts, turned some rosewood handles & I now have a serviceable & posh looking chest

Definitely, my American dresser is over 100 years old, the bureau bookcase is 150 years old, large bookcase also 150 years old, display cabinet 200 years old as is the chest of drawers, table is 250 years old but the oldest item is the longcase clock, the maker went skint in 1710!

Recently, I wanted another Tall narrow chest of drawers, I couldn't believe the muck on sale in the stores, 700 quid for what I would call a criminal waste of trees.
I found a scruffy old oak 7 drawer chest at a boot sale for 20 quid, painted the carcass white, stripped & polished the drawer fronts, turned some rosewood handles & I now have a serviceable & posh looking chest
Same here, a few bits of stuff my grandad and his mates made, all top notch, then you take a trip to ikea and become sick, as you say a waste of wood.

You couldn't sell brown furniture a few years back, nobody wanted it. Now the ikea generation are beginning to realise that the crap they bought does not travel well.
There is definitely more brown furniture being 'upcycled' these days, quick paint job, light sanding for that distressed look and you have very trendy piece that will last for generations.
Recently bought a solid oak extending dining table with 4 barley twist legs, wave form stretchers excellent condition and superbly made. £40 retail in an antique shop, snatched the guys hand off.
Just going to sand it down to it's natural golden oak and polish it.

Linn Sondek turntables are UK made, and so are neam amps and many other top notch real Hifi.
I do love my linn and treat it as a baby.View attachment 114715

Linn Sondek turntables are UK made, and so are neam amps and many other top notch real Hifi.
I do love my linn and treat it as a baby.View attachment 114715
Owned a Sondek for a couple of years myself Trev, great TT but a sod to set up and get the best out of. Tried several 'upgrades' including power supplies, Trampolin etc but the biggest upgrade I got was was simply taking the lid off!!
Had a Michell Odyssey for many years now, superb TT and a Great British Product!:)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back