Cherry for sale

You have to look at the repercussions for running red diesel it stains the pipes and it will also stain the fresh fuel and if caught it opens a can of worms up.

Marina's sell red diesel for the boats which is allowed but not to be used in a vehicle

If i thought i could get away with it i'd use it - but at the risk of losing vehicle it is not worth it

You wouldn't want to be anywhere near the Stow on the Wolds horse fair with any red in your tank.

The police turn out mob handed dipping tanks. I presume they confiscate any vehicles found with it.

You have to look at the repercussions for running red diesel it stains the pipes and it will also stain the fresh fuel and if caught it opens a can of worms up.

Marina's sell red diesel for the boats which is allowed but not to be used in a vehicle

If i thought i could get away with it i'd use it - but at the risk of losing vehicle it is not worth it

I think boat owners can only use duty free red for heating not for propulsion. They are still allowed to run their engines on it, but when filling up they have to sign a declaration saying what proportion will be used for domestic and what will be used for propulsion. They then have to pay the extra duty on the proportion used for propulsion.

I may be wrong, but that is how I understand it.

I think boat owners can only use duty free red for heating not for propulsion. They are still allowed to run their engines on it, but when filling up they have to sign a declaration saying what proportion will be used for domestic and what will be used for propulsion. They then have to pay the extra duty on the proportion used for propulsion.

I may be wrong, but that is how I understand it.
Used to be able to take a 25ltr can down and get red diesel with no questions asked here and more than 1 marina

Used to be able to take a 25ltr can down and get red diesel with no questions asked here and more than 1 marina

As I say I'm not sure. My boat runs on petrol which is full price duty paid.

I suspect though that the marinas in question would be liable for a huge fine if I am right. They are supposed to keep an audit trail for all fuel sold from what I have just read. If the penalties are the same for a marina as they would be for a road vehicle then they would be liable for all of the duty for the last 4 years on top of the fine.

As I say I'm not sure. My boat runs on petrol which is full price duty paid.

I suspect though that the marinas in question would be liable for a huge fine if I am right. They are supposed to keep an audit trail for all fuel sold from what I have just read. If the penalties are the same for a marina as they would be for a road vehicle then they would be liable for all of the duty for the last 4 years on top of the fine.
Cant get around petrol and it is more expensive at marinas but all the charter boats and small diesel boats use the red - if it was illegal for them they would not have the red diesel available

Cant get around petrol and it is more expensive at marinas but all the charter boats and small diesel boats use the red - if it was illegal for them they would not have the red diesel available

I think it may be different for commercial boats. Leisure craft aren't allowed to use it though.

You are probably right but i dont think they keep that good a check on where it is going

Probably not although I would think that is a risky business. That's up to them though.

From Colin's link it looks like those on leisure craft without separate tanks for domestic and propulsion are the one's affected as Red won't be allowed in the main tank.

Probably not although I would think that is a risky business. That's up to them though.

From Colin's link it looks like those on leisure craft without separate tanks for domestic and propulsion are the one's affected as Red won't be allowed in the main tank.
I'd certainly have no worries about working around the issue on a boat - but in a vehicle a bit too risky for me

Yes red was banned for boats a few years back but as normal the irish did not bother and it is still used to this day, same with the radio licence.
Apart from the red die which is or was taken out here by bandits, there is a smart marker now in it so customs officers can still nail you, fine in N Ireland is £1000 but down south they will take the grand first time or take the van.
Many taxi drivers in Belfast used to keep a envelope with £500 backhander on the dash for officers wink wink.

Yes red was banned for boats a few years back but as normal the irish did not bother and it is still used to this day, same with the radio licence.
Apart from the red die which is or was taken out here by bandits, there is a smart marker now in it so customs officers can still nail you, fine in N Ireland is £1000 but down south they will take the grand first time or take the van.
Many taxi drivers in Belfast used to keep a envelope with £500 backhander on the dash for officers wink wink.
Ok till jobsworth stops them then (y)

Cost me 50 euros in east europe for a bridge that i was too heavy for the police there take backhanders

I'm sitting here looking at a house where the owner was detained by her majesty for quite a few years....
He was running 35,000ltr tankers south to north then to mainland uk.....red in white out at border village......
Just to add this was a long time ago.....

I'm sitting here looking at a house where the owner was detained by her majesty for quite a few years....
He was running 35,000ltr tankers south to north then to mainland uk.....red in white out at border village......
Just to add this was a long time ago.....

That's a helluva thing to admit to, Chris!!! :oops: ;) :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: 😁

Last edited:
Remember being on a site with a large diesel mixer and one forklift they had a bowser with 3000 litres of red in it. I used to watch them fill it every two weeks that mixer used about 40 gallons of diesel a day.😜

Now that we are all in a lockdown & no police or customs men the lads will be making many loads of fuel to be sold on the black market, 40% of stations were buying it for resale.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back