Cherry for sale

Wully

I’ve never seen this before at a standard garage. They had red diesel direct from a self serve pump 70p a litre sold and advertised as gas oil at pump would be easy to get them mixed up 😜 I never used it but bet there’s loads who do. I know it said not for road use but tempting for some
FC1D890F-BEA1-41D9-842C-A858ED426C81.jpeg
E876E134-1424-457F-9784-1B6B6EEF56E7.jpeg

It is available here in N. Ireland at a few stations, usually manned. It is also available at an unmanned prepay station, not too far from my home, but it is cctv monitored and you pay by credit/debit card so you have hanged yourself if checked up on. Not sure what the story is at manned stations. I assume the responsibility lies with the customer.

Davy

We usually have red deisel delivered, but there is a garage on A1 near Rob, it has red deisel pump around the back.

It has been available at a pump in the forest of dean for as long as I can remember, (brierley garage)
Buttttttt, the garage has been taken over and the price increased to the same as derv, but it's still cherry in the pump.. bloody crooks....

at the last purchase by me it was £.55 per ltr , I moved on to Tesco's ever since.

A garage less than 1/4ml away sells red like that. Its not that much cheaper than standard diesel but i have seen many a taxi filling with it. It's on the main rd in a built up busy area but none of them seem bothered.

Is that the garage right on the Black Cat roundabout Colin?
It's the one between Sandy and Tempsford turn, haven't been in there for couple of years, but before then we would fill a couple of jerry cans up for the crane.

Norn Iron has been doing it for years, esp out in the country stations, now one at rathcool housing est has it on tap. :)

Stains the fuel system not worth the risk unless an old banger that you are happy to lose

Stains the fuel system not worth the risk unless an old banger that you are happy to lose
WE sorry some use 28 sec heating oil by adding cooking oil to it, its dyed yellow but there are stills which can remove the colour, they now have a invisable marker in it.

She'll garage in Camelon. Has it on pump. But you need to go in and fill details out before you get it

Does anybody bother to claim the tax.
back on LPG for domestic use in MH.s ?
Only ever did it once ..In Yorkshire, of course..

About 2 years ago there was customs vans and police pulling virtually every van and taxi and checking for cherry , but you dont see them anymore only on the motorway weighbridges checking trucks

Spent some time in Ireland many years ago. Driving down a road one day when everything came to a holt. Load of Garda had blocked the road and some other guys started dipping the tanks on lorries and everything else that ran on Diesel.

This place was in Cumbernauld near Glasgow not a farming or heavy industrial area right slap bang in the middle of town. I’ve been running Diesil cars and vans all my life I’ve never used it as the vans have mostly been newish so was always scared of doing damage and knackering the warranty. But in 35 years I’ve never had my tank dipped or tested yet I hear people saying they’ve had there’s tested. Suppose they think the same way if you’ve got a new van chances are you don’t use it.

Some of the biggest engines in the world run on cherry, newer cars may struggle because they have inline micro filters fitted and the cherry being 32 sec is too gloopy to pass through. Solution is to chop out the filter and add an infill piece.

In N Ireland I would prefer cherry to derv as you know what your putting in your tank as I used to deliver heating oil/ cherry around the doors and one of my customers had 4500 litres a week delivered which he duly laundered with cat litter and two stroke oil and then delivered in the Cube type tanks into a filling station in Antrim town.

Sometimes you cannot be sure what your getting so cherry is the safer option!

As an add on I was once working on the Irish border and took a track digger to the nearest filling station on a wagon across the border to fill it up. It was half full at the time and as I filled it up I watched it rising up the sight gauge on the tank. I was adding Southern Irish green farmer diesel to the half tank of cherry and it showed up on the gauge as clear

Some of the biggest engines in the world run on cherry, newer cars may struggle because they have inline micro filters fitted and the cherry being 32 sec is too gloopy to pass through. Solution is to chop out the filter and add an infill piece.

In N Ireland I would prefer cherry to derv as you know what your putting in your tank as I used to deliver heating oil/ cherry around the doors and one of my customers had 4500 litres a week delivered which he duly laundered with cat litter and two stroke oil and then delivered in the Cube type tanks into a filling station in Antrim town.

Sometimes you cannot be sure what your getting so cherry is the safer option!

As an add on I was once working on the Irish border and took a track digger to the nearest filling station on a wagon across the border to fill it up. It was half full at the time and as I filled it up I watched it rising up the sight gauge on the tank. I was adding Southern Irish green farmer diesel to the half tank of cherry and it showed up on the gauge as clear
Red is 35 sec same as normal rd fuel but with a colour and a marker in it like smart water, heating fuel is 28 sec with less oil which would do damage if you did not oil it up, never catch me at this of course.;)

I always bought our fuel from ASDA in Downpatrick in the 80s and 90s as I reckoned it was more dependable than many independents. It meant I also had a trail of credit card statements to prove consistency of purchase in case of engine problems. I remember reading at one time that it was believed over 30% of filling stations had a finger in the laundered fuel. If I went south I always bought from applegreen for the same reason.
The two governments were complicit in allowing this ‘industry’ along the border. I reckon it was part of the so called peace deal to allow the gangsters to be ‘paid off’ despite the huge damage they did to the environment and the water table round border areas with the waste cleansing chemicals etc.
I could never understand why the two governments didn’t simply apply a common tax on red (or green in the south) at source and anyone using it legitimately could reclaim the duty or offset it on their tax returns.
Conniving bstards, both governments. Still probably going on but seems to be well hushed up.

Davy

Just found this, it is/was even worse than I quoted, as I didn’t want to be seen as exaggerating.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back