Check your tyres....

mistericeman

So today was last day of our two week away and we left site in North Wales around dinner time
Quick stop in Tremadog on route home for spicy breadcrumb coated fish (bloody lovely)
Then nice gentle trundle home up over Trawsfynydd and into Bala (druids/rhug chapel/Pont Y bodkin/Buckley etc etc)
Then A55 m56...
Round about Preston Brook we started to get a rumbling at 60 ish.... And put it down to the road surface as it was speed dependant....
By time we hit the Altrincham turn off I opted to leave the motorway for a investigation...
No sign of anything untoward so carried on...
But on the route through central Manchester...
Got into sale and a rather large thud prompted pulling into a shell garage for another look....

Errrr I think I've found the issue....

20221009_170457.jpg
20221009_170454.jpg

Those aren't my fingers BTW.....
Fairly epic failure of the tyre carcass...

Now these are obviously more than 5 years old.... (possibly closer to 10)
BUT I've cast my eyes over them several times (looking for screws/damage etc before trips etc)
AND my tyre guy took them off when, I had the fronts replaced (worn out basically) just 2 weeks ago and said they LOOKED fine (obviously with the proviso that he couldn't be a X Ray machine and see inside)
And I was at a point of saying bugger it replace all four....
BUT he only had the 2 in and we were leaving the next day.

Notes No one's fault but mine for leaving until now to replace them...
BUT I dread to think of that having happened when on the Trawsfynydd road OR in the roadworks etc.

I WAS in the camp of 'They look fine and aren't cracked....

HOWEVER....

I'm not ANYMORE.

Seems to me this is caused by either;
1. storage for a long time on same position on a cold concrete parking base.
2. Potentially kerb hit/strike as also would damage inner cord.

Tyre depth indicates a little life left.

What manufacturer - interesting if low load rating?
Picture of sidewalls would provide a lot of info about tyre.

I think it's just general detioration over time for standing...

Age related detioration is probably less of a problem on the likes of my work van (53000 miles at a year old lol)
Than it is on vehicles like the motorhome (43000 miles at nearly 20 years old)

From talking to the tyre company I use, Michelin are prone to cracking, I had a set on a Kia that at 7 years old were so badly cracked that I had the tyre company come out to change them.

That looks like my tyre after it went bang on the M5 coming home from the last Hereford meet took it back to my supplier change it free of charge, It was less than 3 years from date of manufacture

Tyre depth indicator would suggest LOADS of life left, not a little. Not close to the limit.

Had one last year have a carcass shift/twist, it was only on 2 weeks but bought from Dublin as a pair of snow tyres which i had to remove the studs, they were new half price units.

The way the tyre has ruptured across the lower part of the tread which is the thinnest part of the tyre suggests damage which developed as the journey continued. I had a similar issue years ago with my car, and the tyre fitter said this was common and normally caused by initially picking something up. I once had a leak when a Stanley blade became imbedded in my tyre. Had I driven with this I reckon the same could have happened. The main thing is nobody was hurt.
I use the tyrepal wireless TPMS system, and I would recommend it. It may have prevented this from happening.

Last edited:
Considering Michelins start with 8mm tread depth, I would stand by my comment
I was not aware you could measure tread depth from a photo. Perhaps the OP could take a measurement and put us all out of our misery :)

The way the tyre has ruptured across the lower part of the tread which is the thinnest part of the tyre suggests damage which developed as the journey continued. I had a similar issue years ago with my car, and the tyre fitter said this was common and normally caused by initially picking something up. I once had a leak when a Stanley blade became imbedded in my tyre. Had I driven with this I reckon the same could have happened. The main thing is nobody was hurt.
I use the tyrepal wireless TPMS system, and I would recommend it. It may have prevented this from happening.

Strangest thing that ever gave me a puncture was a 10p coin. It must have flipped onto it's edge as I went over it.

Heads I lost, Tails I lost!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back