cheap citroen relay stealth camper conversion (ongoing)

As promised here's some pics of the progress.

Cupboard framing under the bed using various brackets for joins and hardboard for partitioning.

DSCF0733.jpg DSCF0736.jpg

More 12mm mdf was used for the doors and fascia, the magnetic catches and handles are a temporary fix until i get some more push button locks.

DSCF0743.jpg DSCF0739.jpg

Building a step behind the seats brings several benefits, now I can have my feet on solid ground as the seats are quite high. It's also a useful little storage compartment, and it holds the table leg too. It's a timber frame with mdf lid covered in lining carpet and hardboard for the facing covered in the black leather stuff.

DSCF0737.jpg

I used the remainder of the worktop furniture board for the table top. I got the table leg and connections from rainbow conversions costing 28 quid, it comes with adjuster caps to raise or lower the table to suit.

DSCF0741.jpg

I also got the smev hob/sink from rainbow conversions costing around £130. Easy to fit and setup.

DSCF0742.jpg

Still quite a bit to do but getting there slowly, next on the to do is cleaning up the rear arches as the early signs of rust are becoming apparent, also covering the cupboard doors/fascia and finding a decent bit of carpet or vinyl for the floor.

Last edited:
Nice work, thanks for the update Fugg! I like the step.

I had to raise the whole lounge floor in mine. I stil didn't get round to putting access covers so I can store things like shoes in there.

what is the hieght of the step internally from floor to base of step how did you get the doors cut out so nicely that is what i want to do with mine is replace worktop and fit new front on a cupboard so ican access portaloo from the rear door and use it when the bed is made up space at premium in a noddy van

what is the hieght of the step internally from floor to base of step how did you get the doors cut out so nicely that is what i want to do with mine is replace worktop and fit new front on a cupboard so ican access portaloo from the rear door and use it when the bed is made up space at premium in a noddy van

To make the cupboard doors I marked out the rough size of the opening by offering the mdf up to the completed frame and marking the frames position on the mdf (on the inside of door), then i added 12mm width on the side of the door thats to have the hinges, this is because of the way those hinges work and 12mm because the mdf im using is 12mm thick. The 3 other sides of the door I added 6mm so when u close the door it's halted by the frame....? Bit confusing maybe... I shoulda took some pics of how i did that, much better than trying to make sense of my early morning mutterings!

To do the cuts i used a jigsaw and took it easy, to mark out the curves for the door corners i used a lid from an old shampoo bottle, Blue Peter style!

The step thingy is around 16cm high, to match the height of the cab floor on the ducato. I took a pic with the lid up that shows the construction a little better, uprights are 62x38mm and the horizontal bits are 19x38mm, it looks a little flimsy but the finished article took 25 stone of weight no problem, that was before bolting it in place with a couple screws into the metal step and a couple more into the kitchen cupboard frame.

DSCF0744.jpg

Last edited:
cheap citroen relay stealth camper conversion

Great thread, I've done a Citroen relay too. Here it is
VAN 007.jpg and anotherVAN 011.jpg not quite sure what I am doing here but here goes! I have been all over in it, the french alps, slovenia, the dolomites, the pyrenees, all winter trips so it is pretty cosy, staying either at ski resorts, freebies at the ski stations or aires, its been great!

im about to start this next month so looking at differnt layouts,to see what suits.
the easier the better,my joiner skills are fine if you like panels shaped like a dogs back leg :)

Nice work, thanks for the update Fugg! I like the step.

I had to raise the whole lounge floor in mine. I still didn't get round to putting access covers so I can store things like shoes in there.

I have now done this. There's quite useful storage under the lounge floor :)

really like this . the layout is very similar t how i have done mine.any updates?

Insurance

'Well the insurance....... :mad:'

Thanks so much for the useful info about what to look for with a Citroen Relay. We are looking at a potential one today, for our daughter. What you posted is very good advice.

And particularly about the insurance with Adrian Flux. I just got a quote for £319 third party f&t for DD. Told them it was a completed self conversion etc But no questions or request for pix. Hmmm. Let's hope they don't pull a fast one as they did with you when you went back to them.

Very much appreciate the useful advice from fellow wild campers.
Cheers all.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back