chausson motorhomes

Ran Transits for years never had a serious problem with any of them must have had 20+ vans over the years when they did break they were cheap and easy to repair parts were easy to get not too bad on fuel either. We have one that won’t die it’s a 2010 done over 350,000 miles still works hard every day and runs great. Secret fresh oil and filters
Wear is not an issue with modern engines and lubricants. Tests have been done on vehicles that have done 500,000 miles and the power output is the same as when the engine was new.

The key, as you say, is to change the oil and filter frequently (within reason). The cost is insignificant compared to the huge costs of an engine rebuild or replacement. Or worse still scrapping the vehicle and buying a new replacement.

Ran Transits for years never had a serious problem with any of them must have had 20+ vans over the years when they did break they were cheap and easy to repair parts were easy to get not too bad on fuel either. We have one that won’t die it’s a 2010 done over 350,000 miles still works hard every day and runs great. Secret fresh oil and filters
I worked in both Bitterne and Eastleigh 1987-90, Wully, each roughly equidistant from the then Transit plant and had many Ford employees as customers. A local After Dinner Speaker said that Ford had solved the then AIDS epidemic by the simple operation of allocating it a Ford spare part number; ' ... and now no bugger can get it ...' :ROFLMAO:

Steve

Yes lucky you, i know a chap bought 2 for biz, one started to rev up by its self in the yard and exploaded big time, the second one broke down on a daily bases, after lots of times back and forth to dealer it was a return of vans and his money back.
Things may have changed im not sure as im out of the game now, but back in the day folk with any wit stayed well clear of the tin lizzy, layland sh-t not far behind.

That 2.5 Di engine ford had in early 90s was the base for all modern diesel engines Peugeot took it a step further and refined it for cars but there wasn’t much too break just a lump with a big dirty fuel pump that done all the hard work. They seemed to work better under pressure or running hard. I lift the bonnet of my newish vw crafter and I swear you could fit three of the same engines under the bonnet it’s tiny but gives out 170 and runs smooth turbo the size of the engine probably. I bet it’s the same very block that’s in 100 different cars and vans in the vw group.

That 2.5 Di engine ford had in early 90s was the base for all modern diesel engines Peugeot took it a step further and refined it for cars but there wasn’t much too break just a lump with a big dirty fuel pump that done all the hard work. They seemed to work better under pressure or running hard. I lift the bonnet of my newish vw crafter and I swear you could fit three of the same engines under the bonnet it’s tiny but gives out 170 and runs smooth turbo the size of the engine probably. I bet it’s the same very block that’s in 100 different cars and vans in the vw group.
That ford banana engine was in fact developed from a early engine which was one of the worst ever and smoked like a donky on startup, there was better at the time like the perkins 4107/8 and the 6 cyl 6354, then layland developed the perkie into the engine which went into there vans and later the mistro.
The truth is Pergo/renault and other used a version in there cars all under licence from perkins.
Not to sure who was behind the sofim engine in the Iveco, but its the same block unit as fiat and im sure others.
After fords banana things seemed to go down hill with the common rail units and many folk who bought them never did again.
Yes there are still many fords on the road but most are old builders vans and people seem to be in citron/ranault over here as they want something that spends time on the road and not in the workshop.
Saying that merk made a good engine but rusty bulkheads etc let the vans down, fact is things are not made to last and never have been, you pay the price and take a chance on all these over complicated engines and hope to get your moneys worth out of them.

Chausson fit diesel heaters as standard which I believe is unique in the coach built motorhome industry. The other thing is Chausson don’t fit microwaves or full blown ovens. As a result the heating (noise) and kitchen (frugal) arrangements may not be to your liking so something to consider when exploring Chausson models.

In saying this Chausson do build motorhomes better suited to off grid parking and wild camping which diesel heating is ideal for. But as the gas is used just for cooking and the fridge their gas lockers can be on the small side.

That ford banana engine was in fact developed from a early engine which was one of the worst ever and smoked like a donky on startup, there was better at the time like the perkins 4107/8 and the 6 cyl 6354, then layland developed the perkie into the engine which went into there vans and later the mistro.
The truth is Pergo/renault and other used a version in there cars all under licence from perkins.
Not to sure who was behind the sofim engine in the Iveco, but its the same block unit as fiat and im sure others.
After fords banana things seemed to go down hill with the common rail units and many folk who bought them never did again.
Yes there are still many fords on the road but most are old builders vans and people seem to be in citron/ranault over here as they want something that spends time on the road and not in the workshop.
Saying that merk made a good engine but rusty bulkheads etc let the vans down, fact is things are not made to last and never have been, you pay the price and take a chance on all these over complicated engines and hope to get your moneys worth out of them.
If Leyland,s engine was so good why did they later put the Ford banana engine into their vans ?
I never found the banana engines to be smokey on start up in fact quite the opposite,
As it was one of the first Di engines at the time it was the only diesel that would start instantly without waiting ages for the glow plugs to warm up.
The leyland engine was totally crap it could take half an hour to get them to start, hence the reason leyland put the banana engine into their later vans

One of the telling things about the 90s transit was that it was the base for the London Taxis for years Engine gearbox and most of the running gear if it works for them then I would think it would have to be good.

We got a new Chausson in July and absolutely love it,It dose have an oven and we got a Gaslow system fitted with an 11 kg tank in the locker,yes it's on a Transit chassis but we have added some extra security.
The ford Pass app let's you lock the doors and check all your fuel,add blue and oil life.
The only thing I would say is that the magnet catches on the bathroom cabinet and door from the bathroom to garage are nowhere near stong enough but simple enough to stick a couple of packers in while moving.

If Leyland,s engine was so good why did they later put the Ford banana engine into their vans ?
I never found the banana engines to be smokey on start up in fact quite the opposite,
As it was one of the first Di engines at the time it was the only diesel that would start instantly without waiting ages for the glow plugs to warm up.
The leyland engine was totally crap it could take half an hour to get them to start, hence the reason leyland put the banana engine into their later vans
I said the banana was good, but the early york was the smokey boy, after the banana engine things went down hill big time and many vans were back under warrrenty and folks here switched to other makes, and remember ford sold iveco under licence, my van is a ford iveco but with the 2.8 sofim engine which was the best, later 3 ltr models gave some trouble with electronic injection.

I said the banana was good, but the early york was the smokey boy, after the banana engine things went down hill big time and many vans were back under warrrenty and folks here switched to other makes, and remember ford sold iveco under licence, my van is a ford iveco but with the 2.8 sofim engine which was the best, later 3 ltr models gave some trouble with electronic injection.
Better than those Skodas, eh Trev :p

Some people still consider the original Sofim 2.4 was the best Sofim engine. But they are proper old school :p :)

Indeed so.

If someone bases their purchase decisions based on seeing no negative feedback, they would not buy a single product in their life and also likely starve to death to boot.
Exactly David.
I do look at feedback, but I am extremely wary of it.
I ran a business for 30 years, and I reckon I gave good service to my customers.
And although I sold it three years ago I still keep in contact with some.
The vast majority of my customers were decent fair minded people, but I had a few impossible characters to deal with.
You could satisfy 99% of your customers, and only one or two would bother to review, but the one who felt they had not received good service could make more noise than the 99.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back