Cb Radio

Cb Radios

***** what was your handle, did you come down this way.Use to met up with truckers alot .They were main source for gear, early in the 77 78 years.DId you use the side band at all.Use to be delta tango 620.

cb radios

Classic film with cb radios in use ,was convoy.This film at the end of seventies brought the cb a live,thanks to the truckers getting them in for us.Back then had the old cf with the shinny big wheels, big engine and fairy lights ,been a vanner all my life even before driving,was rebuilding one.

I have thought about this a few times, and there are a couple of things that put me off.

Where would my arial go as my van is fibreglass or doesnt that matter, and do you still have to have those long ones?

As I travel alone or with my children would I be making myself more vunerable, after all the yorkshire ripper had one and he seemed normal to a lot of people.

Aerials

Aerials can be fitted to any part of van which is metal IE wing bumpers mirrors ,there are loads of different fixings for them.The bigger the area the better you will get the rig set up.Aerial has to be set with a swr meter to get tuned in properly.Hope this is helpfull.

I dont think I have any metal apart from the chassis, I think my mirrors or under the ovehang from the top bed.

cas said:
I have thought about this a few times, and there are a couple of things that put me off.

Where would my arial go as my van is fibreglass or doesnt that matter, and do you still have to have those long ones?

As I travel alone or with my children would I be making myself more vunerable, after all the yorkshire ripper had one and he seemed normal to a lot of people.

You can use an earth wire for your ground plane which is basically a wire that runs from your rig to metal and with regard to your safety, two points.
1, you don't have to tell anyone your exact location and they can't pinpoint you to an exact location.
2, Good security for anyone travelling either alone or as a family is a great big dog. Works wonders.

That's where i'm lucky in a way. Got a 28ft Yank Tank and only me and the Alsation in it so plenty of room.

I down sized parking isnt my strong point my old one was about 25ft, this one is 5.3 metres much easier for me.

Not really becuase she would have to stay in most of the time I have a staffi X who I could not let off the lead near any other animal even when on the lead and muzzeled she will try to attack another dog and its not fair on her or us. And it is a small van made for 2 really.

Good point about being fair to her. I travell about a bit as i'm fulltiming in mine but spend a lot of the time parked up so my dog gets loads of walk time. I have always said if you look after an animal it will look after you.

When I used the bigger van I did try her but if she sees an other dog and the window is open shes gone, I cant even have the top half of the door open with out her being tied up inside, I have to be responcible because she will attack, its a shame because shes such a lovly dog with us and I wont have her in a small van for the biggest part of the day.

billy1000 said:
Are there many on here that are on the CB? If so is there one channel wildcampers use?:confused:
Well I had the old AM with sidebands and I did a lot fo DXing I was the the norh east of england director for the Italian dx group ALFA TANGO.
I was 26 ALFA TANGO 272. i used to speak to people all over the world and changed QSL cards.;)

handle

GARY ENGLISH said:
***** what was your handle, did you come down this way.Use to met up with truckers alot .They were main source for gear, early in the 77 78 years.DId you use the side band at all.Use to be delta tango 620.
Always used the legal frequency & as U say the range is not very far (a couple of miles or so)
Never really bothered much with a handle as we were always called as our company trucks were. eg I worked for a company called Baymex & I was then called Mr Baymex. This got a little confusing when more than one.

snowgoose said:
:D Hey Sammy thought only birdys went CHEEP
snowgoose
well today something in my head is going cheep cheep oh how sorry for myself do i feel :(

sammclouis said:
well today something in my head is going cheep cheep oh how sorry for myself do i feel :(

As long as it is CHEEP and not CHEAP Samm you have nothing to worry about.

CB Trevor? Radio Hams??

Well 10-4 rubber duck, like Trevor I was in Alfa Tango 26 all those years ago, contacted 13 countries, then they made it legal and it just wasn't the same transmitting and not having to look out for the smokies or BT!!
So I went off and took my Class A radio licence... now are there any radio hams out there in wild camping land? Come back good buddy!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back