Cat I Alarm Systems

Iain55

HI,
Looking for advice.
Noticed my insurer doesn't cover theft or damage through theft without CAT 1 alarm and immobiliser.

I am considering getting one fitted, suggestions ?
I'm based just north of Glasgow.

To comply with your insurers conditions you may have to use a manufacturers recommended fitter, try looking on the various manufacturers sites for your area on their list. We had a Vodaphone Cat 1 ( used to be Cobra ) and very pleased.

To comply with your insurers conditions you may have to use a manufacturers recommended fitter, try looking on the various manufacturers sites for your area on their list. We had a Vodaphone Cat 1 ( used to be Cobra ) and very pleased.
What sort of cost am I looking at ?

Depending on the specification £400 - £500. Newer van's are easier to fit I believe, they just plug into the Cambus system eliminating a lot of wiring. I saw this explained on YouTube but it baffles me I'm afraid !

Depending on the specification £400 - £500. Newer van's are easier to fit I believe, they just plug into the Cambus system eliminating a lot of wiring. I saw this explained on YouTube but it baffles me I'm afraid !
Thanks, seen a price of £420

That sounds a fair price. Check if you can isolate the inside of the van, essential if you leave a pet in the van or a window/skylight open.

Sadly types like these can be by-passed in seconds and to be quite frank not worth the spend, plus if they plug straight into the OBD socket (like the image below) they are not Thatcham approved!!. The Sevel By-Pass device that is on the open market can have both an alarm like the one suggested and the factory immobiliser overcome in less than 2 mins in most cases (I've timed us overriding an A-Class in 1:24).
If you are to look at a system, it should be an independent unit with independent keys (not using the Fiat/Peugeot/Citroen keys to arm and disarm), the contacts to the doors and lockers should be hard-wired (not using Non-Approved wireless contacts).

Attachments

• OBD Plug and Play alarm.JPG
    OBD Plug and Play alarm.JPG
    354.1 KB · Views: 99
Last edited by a moderator:
Go on ifitstuff.com go for autowatch or Vodafone (was cobra) the autowatch has the ability to add wireless door contacts or Pir’s make sure its a cat1 with remotes not a 2 to 1 upgrade that uses oem remote

Interesting thread this my alarm has failed it's a cobra alarm but remote is shot and not working also an alarm fitter says it needs to go on computer at £75 an hour looks cheaper for me to buy new and just replace the ecu as all wiring is there

2 to 1 upgrade
Interesting thread this my alarm has failed it's a cobra alarm but remote is shot and not working also an alarm fitter says it needs to go on computer at £75 an hour looks cheaper for me to buy new and just replace the ecu as all wiring is there

The thing is by the time you pay for a remote and then like you said the programming, you could end up spending the same costs for a new unit that has a warranty compared to dealing with an older system. Only thing to bear in mind is that if it is a Thatcham listed product and a new version, you may need a certificate and proof of installation, so may not be a DIY job.

• Thank You
Reactions: mfw
The cobra cat1 have a separate immobiliser module which is connected to the the alarm module by a single wire which receives a digital signal up the wire to disarm the immobiliser and the immobiliser module doesn’t have a plug on it it’s hard wired so might need the immobiliser module changing

The thing is by the time you pay for a remote and then like you said the programming, you could end up spending the same costs for a new unit that has a warranty compared to dealing with an older system. Only thing to bear in mind is that if it is a Thatcham listed product and a new version, you may need a certificate and proof of installation, so may not be a DIY job.
I used to fit thatcham category 1 and 2 alarms to Hondas and you needed the fitters certificate number for insurers. As, has been said. The wiring has to be incorporated into the vehicles wiring so it looks as if it was original fit, that includes any tape around wiring. I would have thought £1000, upwards for a system fitting, proffesionally.

Last edited by a moderator:
HI,
Looking for advice.
Noticed my insurer doesn't cover theft or damage through theft without CAT 1 alarm and immobiliser.

I am considering getting one fitted, suggestions ?
I'm based just north of Glasgow.
We have. One fitted

Could be worth trying other ins company as their criteria can differ , unless you want one .

I would suggest talking to your insurance company and asking what/who they will accept and go from there. Recently been looking at some and seen some very dubious advertising. I did an awful lot of research when looking to have an alarm fitted and ended up at VanBitz. Well known to my insurers and I think reflected in the price of insurance.
Should mention other than a satisfied customer I have no connection.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back