Carpet or Vinyl?

Lenny
Carpet much more comfortable than hard flooring.Why not cushionfloor the van and then have a fitted removable carpet for colder periods? Cheap offcuts from discount places does ok.
I love to wriggle the tootsies in a long pile carpet!
Mind I don't usually have to clean it.

weez
tony

Hiya,Tony, what do you mean by a fitted removable carpet?. Is it a template of the floorspace with some kind of braiding around the edges?:confused::eek::)

fitting talents

lenny
It looks braw man,that should help insulation.
I was thinking of the edged stuff as you described but it might cost you a few bawbees. Some of the carpet offcuts can be trimmed to the template shape
and will stay very tidy. With your fitting talents:) replacing it should not be too difficult.
Off for a day racing flying fifteens on one of the Lochs up here.
***** might appreciate the joys of sailing with rain pouring down your neck bypassing all the the waterproofing kit one wears. there is times I can understand why he gave it up to do motorhoming.

Weez
Tony

brill

lenny :D well done to a great job. Maybe small side line business on the way:D:D

Thanks,All, but it,s no big deal:rolleyes:;), I,m a great beleiver that you can do anything if you put your mind to it:cool:

vinil with a removable carpet seems most practical
especialy if going to a mudy or sandy location
easer than keep on taking your shoes off after all

Our motor home came with beige cord. Nasty feel and shows dirt.

Bought a cheap offcut of good quality axminster. Bit of a fiddle to cut and fit and still trying to work out how to stop it walking without permanent fixings.

Feels great, does not show the dirt and cleans OK so far - even with dog.

Regards

Robert

I have laminate flooring in my truck - first time out proved that the Dog slipped and slided all over the place and he wasn't happy at all and had to get carpet runners.

Carpet is great until it gets wet; then it is B. unpleasant and stinks to high Heaven. I've just had 10L of water through the van and it took some hard work by 2 dehumidifiers to clear it. The carpet now looks B. awful and has water stains all over it. I will never use carpet again.

I have also tried Flotex & it is very good. It it is terribly expensive but, obviously, you don't need much to "carpet" a van.

The best floor covering that I have seen to date is the stuff that Nomad has down in his Iveco. It is some form of "rubber" tile that is intended for workshop use. It seems both durable and warm under foot. Good stuff, maybe a PM to Nomad may get you an answer?

- at the risk of repeating myself.
The "rubber" tiles that Nomad has are interlocking and a pleasing dark slate colour. They are intended as flooring for workshops where there is heavy movement of vehicles.

I'll give Nomad credit; he's a clever chap and if anyone can work out a way of saving some money sensibly, it's usually him.

Being a dumb schmuck I never though to "google" it CLICKY LINKY THINGY :D

Lenny, why not have the best of both worlds??? Our van has fitted lino, then a loosely fitted carpet on top, any large carpet store can get your new carpet whipped - edges bound, then you have lino for wet weather or when staying on sandy spots, then you fit the carpet for winter use.

It REALLY is a lot nicer/warmer having carpet under foot. I added some press studs to the corners as the Chausson carpet would slip 'n' slide a bit if you jumped into the van a bit quick!

Lenny, why not have the best of both worlds??? Our van has fitted lino, then a loosely fitted carpet on top, any large carpet store can get your new carpet whipped - edges bound, then you have lino for wet weather or when staying on sandy spots, then you fit the carpet for winter use.

It REALLY is a lot nicer/warmer having carpet under foot. I added some press studs to the corners as the Chausson carpet would slip 'n' slide a bit if you jumped into the van a bit quick!

Thanks,Nosha, did,nt know that they could bind the edges for you, I have kept the origional carpet to use as a template to mark out and cut the new one, the idea being that if I cut the carpet the same as the origional so it fitted into all the nooks and crannies,then this would prevent it from slipping.
Also, I can easily remove it from time to time for a good cleaning:cool:

we recently had some small carpet off cuts bound at a cost of £1 per foot
never again thats more than the carpet cost .
may be a few sample mats that can be gotten from the carpet shop cheap would do and they are already bound at the edges

flooring

I have used the flotex in cutom vans very good hard wearing and easy to clean.

For "doggy" reasons I removed my fitted carpets (which were in 4 sections) and took them to a man in Kidderminster whose normal business is edging pattern books and mats, he used them as templates and within an hour I had a lovely set of new mats ,I can dig out the name if anyones interested,rog

If you like the beach you are doing the right thing, we always take the carpet out when going to france.

Thinking about removing the 17 year old carpet from my van and replacing it with a cushionfloor type vinyl:eek:

Has anyone done this or can anyone advise on the pro,s and con,s of of this action?.

My van came with vinyl, which is our first, but we have always had carpet in the caravans when we had them so one of the first jobs on the new van was to lay carpet over the vinyl. It is a good idea, as already mentioned, by somebody else to use the existing carpet as a templete. Of course it can get dirty but it is a small aera to clean when necessary6. I have always cut the 'waste' pieces into mat sizes and had them bound and you can throw the mats where there is likely to be most wear i.e. inside the door and in the cooking area. It is certainly more comfortable than vinyl and if it needs renewing in a couple of years so what? it is not very expensive to cover a relatively small area with rather cheap carpet.

I prefer the comfort to the practicality!

Our M/H came with a vinyl floor with mats to cover the hard wearing areas, I think I would prefer this as I think a full fitted carpet would get pretty dirty with mud, sand and wet feet etc

Tom

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back