Canoe/marine battery and charging it inside a motorhome

Thats all you need it will charge at the same time as leisure battery then either EHU/Solar or engine when running
With many vans this is totally impractical, try it on most vans with the battery under the seat and it's asking for trouble. Also some of the built in chargers have limited capacity, put too many batteries on a EBL99 and it burn out the charger. Which is where we came in at the beginning, what's the set up, or what's the van so at least someone with similar van might know. It might be as simple as opening a battery box and using jump leads, or maybe fitting a fly lead if the battery is not easily assessable.

If you use a small outboard and it stops put more fuel in , when an electric one stops it will take many hours to recharge a 100 amp flat battery . if you are on the water and you have to push into a head wind your speed and range will be greatly reduced at sea you could very guickly disappear over the horizon , their is no such thing as safe water .

Good morning all. Thank you so much for all of your input. Certainly lots to think about. My van (swift suntor 590RL) leisure battery is easily accessible through a side hatch and is brand new - I replaced it myself about 4 months ago, so the possibility of using that to charge is there. I have previously considered a small 2hp outboard but didn't like the idea of the noise scaring off the wildlife. Petrol may be the way forward tho tbh as, we're in our 50's and I just like to pootle around the shores of small lochs and rivers whilst Ant walks along the banks. I do envisage still using paddle power more than motor power, so there may not be too much battery usage to recharge, but I would really like the option of fitting a motor of some sort, as I recently sustained a back injury at work that may be troublesome in the future. Think I'll do more research into 2hp engine and maybe rethink the type of boat we could get. Thanks again. Have a lovely day x

Inflatable with a small f/stroke engine,parsun 2.6 £450 short shaft,boat about £350 new,not that im a agent te he.
parsun 2.6.png

I can see the attraction in a small electric motor, and did consider one when we had a canoe.
With a easily assessable battery that possibly gives a few options, but first you need to consider what battery you would like to use, the smaller the battery the easier it is to lug about, but the less range it will have. Is it easy to slot another battery in next to the present one? this makes charging and storage much easier. If you need to charge without EHU then a B2B would seem the best choice, you could just use jump leads but that's not ideal. For EHU once again a B2B, jump leads would work, but once again not ideal, or even just use a separate mains charger esp. if you've got one at home already.

I'm seriously considering an electric drive to my sea kayak...

Just to give a pfaff free option for when I want to use the camera or fishing rod,
and for when my shoulder/back are playing up

View attachment 84943
Ooh. Great pic. Just out of curiosity, how would you attach a motor to the 'pointy end'. This could alter my choice of boat entirely. Although I love the idea of the Gumotex Ruby, I'd prefer a sleeker/easier one for when paddling. I'm just considering Ant and his very expensive camera equipement v my current set up of my beloved sit on. Not a great combination 🤣

Ooh. Great pic. Just out of curiosity, how would you attach a motor to the 'pointy end'. This could alter my choice of boat entirely. Although I love the idea of the Gumotex Ruby, I'd prefer a sleeker/easier one for when paddling. I'm just considering Ant and his very expensive camera equipement v my current set up of my beloved sit on. Not a great combination 🤣
Either strapped on under the Hull OR I'm considering fitting to the rudder so I can lift it when entering/egressing the water and to give me some hands free direction control (the seaglass has rudder peddles)

All a bit up in the air at the moment though as not had much chance to play this year obviously.

It's a lovely thing to paddle (takes very little effort to get some decent speed up)
BUT is a little cumbersome to get up on the roof of the Moho...

IMG_20200802_105013.jpg

I might get a sit on galaxy to supplement it for quick fishing trips.

My Perception Scooter off the west coast of Scotland. Solid as a rock and such a delight to paddle. Fits inside the motorhome, through the back window 😊

Attachments

• 7B3D9696BC87D3464680F9A129B45910.jpg
    7B3D9696BC87D3464680F9A129B45910.jpg
    619.7 KB · Views: 136
  • 20190826_133933.JPG
    20190826_133933.JPG
    427.9 KB · Views: 145
My Perception Scooter off the west coast of Scotland. Solid as a rock and such a delight to paddle. Fits inside the motorhome, through the back window 😊

Looks like a nice paddle...
My pictures were off the West Coast of Scotland too...
Spent a goodly amount of time of our two weeks, up there on Sanna Bay whilst stopping at

Some canoes have a box hole at stearn for a electric or ic engine,there is also a way of side mounting to.

wow what a lovely thing , I would think you would have problems fitting any outboard bracket to such a light craft as the hull would need additional strength to carry the loads and stress of a motor ,could the weight of a motor fitted so far back force the stern down and lift the bough adversely affecting the stability of the craft , uncle trev is a marine engineer and gives good advice on this forum . Love the idea ??

Thanks for posting. That's too noisy form my liking too. I'm still veering towards an electric one.

Same here... I love the sound of the water and my enjoyment would be ruined by an engine clattering away close by.

In my case the electric would only be used in certain occasions when I need to be a bit more hands free.

I did consider parting with the Mcnulty and getting one of these...

But I doubt it would cut through the water in the same fun way ;-)

wow what a lovely thing , I would think you would have problems fitting any outboard bracket to such a light craft as the hull would need additional strength to carry the loads and stress of a motor ,could the weight of a motor fitted so far back force the stern down and lift the bough adversely affecting the stability of the craft , uncle trev is a marine engineer and gives good advice on this forum . Love the idea ??
'Uncle Trev' has given good advice. I'm thinking, for the amount of use the motor would get over the year (minimal) and storage and maintenance, we'd probably be better off with an electric. I wish I could go to a boat shop and have a look and a feel of all types.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back