Cal Mac to increase prices for motorhomes by 50-70%

50% increase at those prices is chicken feed when factored in to the cost of buying and running your mohos in the first place.

Shouldn't make the trip unaffordable for the majority of the forum's users. 🤷‍♀️

I'm personally more concerned about our domestic power bills in April when our fixed contract with Octopus runs out... :oops: 😟 😱
And that’s my point Marie. It won’t restrict mohos going to the islands.
All it will do is fill CalMacs coffers at the behest of some sad islanders with nothing better to do with their time.

It might possibly put a few off that simply use the island as a shortcut transit for the Lochranza ferry over to Kintyre. I know some islanders were annoyed about that after the ferry prices were vastly reduced as they claimed they clogged up the ferries and roads simply to just drive across the island and leave. Why anyone would do that though anyway is beyond me.

And that’s my point Marie. It won’t restrict mohos going to the islands.
All it will do is fill CalMacs coffers at the behest of some sad islanders with nothing better to do with their time.

Are you begrudging CalMac their profits? ;):ROFLMAO:

Fuel isn't cheap at the moment and everything else has shot up in price 🤷‍♀️

Just sayin'

It might possibly put a few off that simply use the island as a shortcut transit for the Lochranza ferry over to Kintyre. I know some islanders were annoyed about that after the ferry prices were vastly reduced as they claimed they clogged up the ferries and roads simply to just drive across the island and leave. Why anyone would do that though anyway is beyond me.
It will possibly make folk stay longer Barry.
This is just another cheap shot at the 2.5% they Ferry, who are apparently filling the ferries.

It will possibly make folk stay longer Barry.
This is just another cheap shot at the 2.5% they Ferry, who are apparently filling the ferries.

Might do. I hadn't considered that. Could work for the islanders though if the hopscotchers stay a few days to get their moneys worth and then spend a few quid locally although I suspect anyone that penny pinching will come fully stocked and spend nothing. I selfishly hoped it would reduce numbers to be honest.

Might do. I hadn't considered that. Could work for the islanders though if the hopscotchers stay a few days to get their moneys worth and then spend a few quid locally although I suspect anyone that penny pinching will come fully stocked and spend nothing. I selfishly hoped it would reduce numbers to be honest.
Would £40 put you off, it’s still a lot cheaper than it used to be Barry. Without RTE it would be double the price.

Last edited:
Would £40 put you off

Would £40 put you off

No but it might put someone else off especially if they are transiting. I think you disagree but Im pretty sure the amount of motorhome traffic to the islands increased after the ferry costs were drastically lowered so price must matter to some motorhomers. It doesnt matter to me if its £40 or £140, we stay for weeks so in the great scheme of things it wont make that much difference.

No but it might put someone else off especially if they are transiting. I think you disagree but Im pretty sure the amount of motorhome traffic to the islands increased after the ferry costs were drastically lowered so price must matter to some motorhomers. It doesnt matter to me if its £40 or £140, we stay for weeks so in the great scheme of things it wont make that much difference.
Barry all traffic increased on the ferries, but more so cars.
As I stated already in 2004 I paid £135 for my car and both of us.
Without RTE it would now be about £220.
Its currently £51, the volume of cars has increased, hence the larger ferries on order.
I know folk who used to leave their cars at Ardrossan, who now take their cars over.
Motorhomes make up a tiny proportion of the vehicles around 2-3%.
Also I reckon the transiting is grossly exaggerated.
Also the ferry journeys from Lochranza to Claonaig are mainly for tourists.
Hence why they don't run in the winter.
It won't stop me from travelling, and its the principle more than anything that angers me.

bayMy van is 'about' 6 metres I think.

Do they measure you?
I have been measured in the past at Wemyss Bay - so you can't depend on them taking your word for your van length.

Plus i reckon they will be instructed to be more vigilant on checking now that there is a significant difference in price above the break point !

It seems the under 6m increase for me is 80p - so I can live with that !!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back