Cal Mac to increase prices for motorhomes by 50-70%

The new motorhome fares for Calmac to Arran start from 24 March. Those under 6m remain the same as a car. Those 6-8m jump from £49.70 to £85.50, and those 8-10m increase from £66.80 to £102. Probably an acceptable price to most motorhome visitors I would have thought.
The RET was modelled on the successful Scandinavian model and was designed to be self funding by making the islands more viable and thereby increase government taxes. The fact that it did not include commercial fares shows that it was not specifically meant for the benefit of islanders - everything brought to the island is considerably more expensive than on the mainland, making cost of living high. That and the crazy price of housing for locals is what will make the future viability of the islands uncertain, as well as the increasingly unreliable ferry service. The population is aging. I came here 50 years ago when Arran was very run down with abandoned houses scattered all over the island and the youngsters moving off as soon as they could and the future of the high school in doubt. A couple of years earlier "Operation Beacon" had been set up to repopulate Arran guaranteeing any prepared to move here a house and a job. Someone I worked with had come over from Glasgow on that scheme.
RET certainly made life easier for those living here and greatly benefitted some businesses though definitely not all.

Looks like the days of the RET (Road Equivalent Tariff) discount for motorhomes is ending next year.

This might not be popular but could it possibly mean that things may improve for us? A lot of islands have started putting in restrictions. Its one reason we gave Mull a swerve this summer as they pretty much banned wilding. I guess something had to give.
Looks like the days of the RET (Road Equivalent Tariff) discount for motorhomes is ending next year.

This might not be popular but could it possibly mean that things may improve for us? A lot of islands have started putting in restrictions. Its one reason we gave Mull a swerve this summer as they pretty much banned wilding. I guess something had to give.
I was involved in surveys before and after RET was introduced. From the outset it was hoped that an increase in tourism might be one benefit of the lower fares, but there was concern that more capacity would be needed in peak tourist periods. But increasing the capacity of the ferry service is a slow business with only one new vessel built every 2-3 years, and no spare crews available to increase sailings just through a short summer season. From the outset it was recognised that supplies of food, fuel, agricultural produce could easily be disrupted if tourist traffic increased, and could become critical if even just one of the larger ferries were to become unserviceable in peak periods. This indeed happened when the Oban- Barra ferry broke down in midsummer some years ago and instead of getting weekly supplies the islands had to wait a fortnight. Fuel ran out, f food had to be thrown away and livestock in cattle lorries had to be expensively fed on the pier at Oban! It has been a good thing that the summer season has become longer, but the problem of the peak weeks has not been resolved, and the increase in staycations has only made these issues worse.

I was involved in surveys before and after RET was introduced. From the outset it was hoped that an increase in tourism might be one benefit of the lower fares, but there was concern that more capacity would be needed in peak tourist periods. But increasing the capacity of the ferry service is a slow business with only one new vessel built every 2-3 years, and no spare crews available to increase sailings just through a short summer season. From the outset it was recognised that supplies of food, fuel, agricultural produce could easily be disrupted if tourist traffic increased, and could become critical if even just one of the larger ferries were to become unserviceable in peak periods. This indeed happened when the Oban- Barra ferry broke down in midsummer some years ago and instead of getting weekly supplies the islands had to wait a fortnight. Fuel ran out, f food had to be thrown away and livestock in cattle lorries had to be expensively fed on the pier at Oban! It has been a good thing that the summer season has become longer, but the problem of the peak weeks has not been resolved, and the increase in staycations has only made these issues worse.
That’s all fine Peter I have no problems with what you state.
But why concentrate only on motorhomes and campers when they account for less than 3% of the traffic. If CalMac took measures to control the amount of cars crossing also I would have no problems. If we stopped traveling to the islands tomorrow it would make hardly any difference. It just seems to myself and some others that we bear the brunt of such measures solely. Hope you have a good Christmas.

Last edited:
Maybe we should all stay home and just transfer what we would have spent by PayPal to save any inconvenience

What is maybe more of a worry than the increase for some on the ferries was the announcement a week or so ago by the junior transport minister that " private transport is so last 20th century, the future is public transport and car sharing pools". The banning of ICE vehicles and of oil field licences suggests that policy is being enacted, in which case wildcamping will soon be just a fond memory....

What is maybe more of a worry than the increase for some on the ferries was the announcement a week or so ago by the junior transport minister that " private transport is so last 20th century, the future is public transport and car sharing pools". The banning of ICE vehicles and of oil field licences suggests that policy is being enacted, in which case wildcamping will soon be just a fond memory....

HAPPY NEW YEAR DAVE.

For 2020 we planned a trip to Arran, Hopscotch, to Brodick and leaving from Lochranza. Costt 52,90 Due to Corano we were not allowed to enter the UK. Now we are planning for 2022. Same ferry, different price. Now 85,20. In 2 years time more than 50% up.

Just booked our Ferries today for the Outer Hebrideas…….Transport Scotland has done away with the Hopscotch Tickets so you can only book single journeys if your wanting separate islands as in hopscotch mode. Our journey, which we do every year nearly made me greet……but hay ho….it’s what it is….we are paying just over £100 more for same journey….

I just price checked my current van which is just under 6m price £34.20
I then put in a van at 6.3m and the price rose to £85.50.
Previously £41.70
Both prices vehicle only, to Arran from Ardrossan.
Thats double what was paid before.
Yet the Article mentioned just 50-70% rise.
I also noticed that they only have two prices now, mohos under 6m and mohos over up to 8m.
I think I will be contacting CalMac soon.
To ask them.
1) why such an enormous rise.
2) what happens if towing a caravan.
3) will this not damage local economies, particularly campsites on the islands.
4) has this been sanctioned by the Scottish Government.
5) does this rise apply to islanders with motorhomes also.

Last edited:
We unfortunatly are just over 6 m…if under, the price is not much more than last year. I think Transport Scotland is part of Scottish Goverment and they did do a consultation……maybe the Islands will be quieter as a result, which is why we go. We like to just chill out…

We unfortunatly are just over 6 m…if under, the price is not much more than last year. I think Transport Scotland is part of Scottish Goverment and they did do a consultation……maybe the Islands will be quieter as a result, which is why we go. We like to just chill out…
I can’t argue with any of that Fiona, so do we.
This rise won’t affect us, but if it did I would still travel.
I fear that this won’t make much difference.
I reckon the Islands will be just as popular.
We normally go three times a year to Arran for 5 days.
If I was affected I would consider going twice for a week instead.

My van is 'about' 6 metres I think.

Do they measure you?
They don’t measure you Rob, but they ask for your vehicle length and model before departure. But I can spot the difference between a 6m van and a 6.3m van. We have been asked our length in the past and I quote 5.99m which is what the manufacturer states. But then if I was 6.3m then it only made a £13 diffence in price now it’s £51. I reckon they will be more vigilant now.

They don’t measure you Rob, but they ask for your vehicle length and model before departure. But I can spot the difference between a 6m van and a 6.3m van. We have been asked our length in the past and I quote 5.99m which is what the manufacturer states. But then if I was 6.3m then it only made a £13 diffence in price now it’s £51. I reckon they will be more vigilant now.

My work van has been measured before Bill, but that was on the Isle of Wight ferry.

I had booked a ticket for a van less than six metres (guesstimate!) and luckily it was. I don't know what they would have done if it had been over - probably just made me pay the excess I suppose.

We’ve seen them get the tape out at Uig in the past….we just don’t risk it as we’re 6.2 metres but twin wheels and long wheel base so we do look big…saves us sitting sweating at check in lol

I suspect when you book and give your registration number, all the vehicle details come up on their computer screen, including length.

I just price checked my current van which is just under 6m price £34.20
I then put in a van at 6.3m and the price rose to £85.50.
Previously £41.70
Both prices vehicle only, to Arran from Ardrossan.
Thats double what was paid before.
Yet the Article mentioned just 50-70% rise.
I also noticed that they only have two prices now, mohos under 6m and mohos over up to 8m.
I think I will be contacting CalMac soon.
To ask them.
1) why such an enormous rise.
2) what happens if towing a caravan.
3) will this not damage local economies, particularly campsites on the islands.
4) has this been sanctioned by the Scottish Government.
5) does this rise apply to islanders with motorhomes also.

Missed the replies to this so I just went and checked and did a price check for late May 2020 for a 7.5m van and this is what I get. I cant remember what we paid last year. Think it was about £33 one way. So that would be just over a 50% hike.

Skewered-yet-again.jpg

50% increase at those prices is chicken feed when factored in to the cost of buying and running your mohos in the first place.

Shouldn't make the trip unaffordable for the majority of the forum's users. 🤷‍♀️

I'm personally more concerned about our domestic power bills in April when our fixed contract with Octopus runs out... :oops: 😟 😱

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back