C1 driving licence renewal

Yes, all negative. 2 weeks ago I had the treadmill test. The consultant due to oversee the results and report them to DVLA still hasn’t looked at them! He won’t be working again until next Tuesday 3 weeks after the tests.

I spoke to DVLA initially to see what the state of play was, and they told me they hadn’t had the results. That prompted me to check with the Nuffield.

A nice young lady at the DVLA told me that once they receive them it could still take up to 10 days for them to do their bit. However, she sent me a copy of section 88 that permits me to continue to drive despite the expired licence, provided I haven’t been told I’m not allowed to, and they will write to me to let me know what the answer is.

So, sod it, I’ve booked the chunnel and we’re off for 3 months shortly.

Yes, all negative. 2 weeks ago I had the treadmill test. The consultant due to oversee the results and report them to DVLA still hasn’t looked at them! He won’t be working again until next Tuesday 3 weeks after the tests.

I spoke to DVLA initially to see what the state of play was, and they told me they hadn’t had the results. That prompted me to check with the Nuffield.

A nice young lady at the DVLA told me that once they receive them it could still take up to 10 days for them to do their bit. However, she sent me a copy of section 88 that permits me to continue to drive despite the expired licence, provided I haven’t been told I’m not allowed to, and they will write to me to let me know what the answer is.

So, sod it, I’ve booked the chunnel and we’re off for 3 months shortly.
The section 88 rule only applies whilst driving in the UK. So you do run a risk of being fined in Europe and I don't know what implications there are regarding insurance cover.

Attachments

• IMG_0449.png
    IMG_0449.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 21
An update of sorts. The consultant has finally looked over my results 2 weeks later and has written to the DVLA to go to the next step to issue the new licence. He’s Okayed everything.Finally.

DVLA however still reiterated to me that it will take up to 10 working days for the results and the accompanying letter to get onto their system. There is no way to get them to show a touch of empathy and expedite it sooner, given they know the email address of the Nuffield who sent it to them - but NO it will take as long as it takes (the f*** you was silent but clearly received)

She must have told me 10 times in our conversation that 10 days was the way it was.

I hate lack of empathy in a service environment, and also a lack of a way to bring it to anyone’s awareness.

When I got to 70 I was on the waiting list for valve replacement so I was unable to go for the medical and had to let my C1 lapse. I stripped loads of just in case and other bits I didn’t use and got it under 3500Kgs so down plated it. That’s how stupid this bit of legislation is, I am still driving the same van which was plated at 4T.

I think I could go for the medical now and get C1 reinstated but I will just carry on without

The test I think also measures VO2 capacity in respect to how well you circulate O2. The military use a test called the Rockport walk although it is mainly RN in my experience. 1 mile walk in the quickest time . All about VO2 max

Today I have had my second test to see if my heart works, 2 weeks ago an echo test, and today the exercise/treadmill test.

It was horrendous! I barely managed to do the 3rd set of 3 minutes at the increased speed and ramp angle. I had bypass surgery over 2 years ago and so I had to prove my fitness. The nurse said all my vital signs were well controlled, but the walking was torture.

But how exactly is walking at a high speed up a ramp helping with their assessment? I can walk miles on the flat when out walking miss Molly, and moderate hills, but this was a real horror. I was almost having to jog, and I’m a biker I don’t jog!

I have at the back of my mind that there is a test without the need for such severe exercise, what if I had a gammy leg, or a missing leg perhaps? My new Hymer is 4500kg and I need a large unit to carry Sue’s mobility scooter. Otherwise I’ll end up with a smaller unit and drag a trailer.
Thoughts?
Just seen this Simon. I would say that test is discriminatory. I'm pretty fit these days. I could swim a mile, two miles even in pretty good time or Kayak the length of Windermere like I stole it and more but I couldn't do the treadmill test as my knees are knackered. So would I then fail? Sounds a right load of Bollocks to me.

That sounds an apt and relevant description. Clearly they need to ensure that a 7.5 tonne lorry is being piloted by someone who won’t keel over and wipe out a line of people waiting for a bus. It’s the change between 3500kg, and then commonly 3850kg, that is not quite so relevant, especially when the difference between the 2 can be a simple paper exercise

But try and find a suitable MH these days with all the accoutrements we all need for spending many days and weeks off grid, and to carry a small scooter or wheelchair and get it under 3500kg is impossible - I’ve looked.

If the worst came to it, I’d go for a 3500kg and drag a trailer, where’s the sense there?

The weights and licence laws are way overdue for a revamp to bring them up to date with the huge improvements in the safety of modern vehicles.

But be prepared for the huge feck up when they do.

That sounds an apt and relevant description. Clearly they need to ensure that a 7.5 tonne lorry is being piloted by someone who won’t keel over and wipe out a line of people waiting for a bus. It’s the change between 3500kg, and then commonly 3850kg, that is not quite so relevant, especially when the difference between the 2 can be a simple paper exercise

But try and find a suitable MH these days with all the accoutrements we all need for spending many days and weeks off grid, and to carry a small scooter or wheelchair and get it under 3500kg is impossible - I’ve looked.

If the worst came to it, I’d go for a 3500kg and drag a trailer, where’s the sense there?

Unbelievably my motorhome from the last century Hank the Tank, Kontiki 640 was over 7m, six berth but had nearly 700kg payload and I carried a scooter on the back for 16 years and was under 3500kg. In fact I think it was plated at 3440kg. Very long in the tooth now of course but I can see how vans got fat and lardy. The hab door on ours was dead thin and most of the internal fittings and doors flimsy. Not this one though. Michelle even struggles to open the flipping door. The payloads in vans we looked at from the mid noughties up to about 2012 were pitiful. However I think something changed in the construction around 2015 on big swift vans at least. Much less timber in them. This one (Esprit 496) has none above the floor I dont think. Nearly a ton of payload but its on a 4250kg chassis so no good for you.

Maybe some of the newer 3.5t models though have the same?

There has to be a cut off somewhere otherwise you can keep saying "well it's only another 100kg" until you eventually get to 44tonnes.
Where I do agree, it's odd that the train weight isn't used as a maximum, as you say, you could end up legally driving a combined 7000kg on a BE, but be fined for having a 3650kg van with no trailer.

Barry - I just had a look at doing a spec on a 3500kg Hymer, adding all the knobs, bells and whistles I’d prefer to have. It comes in with 400kg (approximately) payload and 2 berth and very easily passed with a minimum of fuss.

My Hymer BMC-T680 is 4500kg and has over a tonne of proven payload, from a weighbridge check.

I wonder how many 3500kg MHs on the road for the holidays are within those limits.

Back