Breakdown cover with a dog

MarkJ

Free Member
Wondered if anyone had actual experience of using breakdown cover with a dog?

My warranty runs out soon and I'm looking for replacement breakdown cover. The issue is about recovery or, worst case, repatriation of you and the vehicle if you have a dog with you. All the ones I've contacted say it's discretionary and they will try to help, but you might end up having to arrange it all yourselves. One suggested that our pet insurance ought to cover us.... no chance.

So I just wondered if anyone had hopefully good experience of being recovered in the UK or Europe, or being repatriated, with a dog in tow?

And please don't tell me how good ADAC was - I missed the boat there!

Thanks

Sometimes the dog my have to travel in the ,van the drivers can't risk an unruly dog in the cab .

Hi mark,I’ve got Fiat cover through AIBins ,we broke down recently and I did inform them our dog was with us and they said it’s up to the recovery driver,our dog is a lap dog and small shiatsu,he had no objections to it being in the crew cab with us
I do know that when I did recovery and relay work subbing to aa,Gesa assist etc the policy was no dogs in truck.

Last edited:
Hi All,

My first thought was ‘my’ dog never breaks down!

However too get on task, I broke down whilst touring Scotland some years and I used the RAC policy to be recovered.

My dog was with me, my one man and his dog adventure, no one mentioned the dog except to give it a good fuss and spoil it.

Happy days.

Boots

If the dog was Taya it would have to be caged and shackled :mad2::mad2::mad2:

Last edited:
Always best to ask before you buy your policy, some companies won’t allow dogs in the cabs because some drivers have allergies, and some seems to be down to the driver of the day, not really a problem if your dog would be fine traveling in your motorhome on the back of recovery as long as it’s a flatbed truck.

Years ago there wasn't an issue - I remember our dog just coming in the recovery truck with us, but nowadays it is down to discretion of the driver. A few years ago I had to have my van recovered and the dog just stayed in the camper. I think providing they are secured as normal they should be OK.

What you've got to think about is the people who ride in the recovery truck next will they mind riding in a seat that has just had a dog in it. Some people are happy sharing there homes with animals others aren't people who live with dogs can't smell them others find the smell revolting

Thanks all. Sounds ok then. Just all those people in call centres being careful not to commit too much....

I broke down in France and was recovered to Renault Dieppe with the dog staying in the van. I wasn't covered for repatriation so unsure how that would have worked, need to check my current policy.

Thanks all. Sounds ok then. Just all those people in call centres being careful not to commit too much....
Fr

The only thing I would advise Mark if you haven't already is get a seatbelt harness for the dog

My GSD' s favourite spot was the front passenger seat so I belted her just in case an over enthusiastic policemen should have stopped me ( never happened)

She could sit up have a gaze at what was going off and lie down

I think it is entirely feasible that dogs are not allowed in recovery trucks and in the van on a low loader. If you have jobsworth of a driver he /she may be reluctant if the dog is not secured because it this stage it is their licence that gets endorsed if stopped and charged for an insecure load

Channa

I suspect it's like everything else, if the hint of a tip is big enough the dog can drive the breakdown truck.

Wondered if anyone had actual experience of using breakdown cover with a dog?

My warranty runs out soon and I'm looking for replacement breakdown cover. The issue is about recovery or, worst case, repatriation of you and the vehicle if you have a dog with you. All the ones I've contacted say it's discretionary and they will try to help, but you might end up having to arrange it all yourselves. One suggested that our pet insurance ought to cover us.... no chance.

So I just wondered if anyone had hopefully good experience of being recovered in the UK or Europe, or being repatriated, with a dog in tow?

And please don't tell me how good ADAC was - I missed the boat there!

Thanks

Should be all right if it is a Rover.

Bernie

was repatriated from france after breakdown dog recovered to garage in camper freinds picked us up & camper back on low loader, we were provided with two cars to get home one to calais one to home for the calais one the mate dropped us of and i genuinely forgot to mention the dog , when we pulled up at calais to exchange the replacement car was a new mondeo only 200 miles on the clock the girl made a fuss of molly our setter and went and fetched a blanket to put in the boot,

was repatriated from france after breakdown dog recovered to garage in camper freinds picked us up & camper back to uk on low loader, we were provided with two cars to get home a lhd one to calais rhd one to home for the calais one the mate dropped us of and i genuinely forgot to mention the dog , when we pulled up at calais to exchange the replacement car was a new mondeo only 200 miles on the clock the girl made a fuss of molly our setter and went and fetched a blanket to put in the boot no drama,

I dont have a dog but I do have two cats. We wonder ourselves if our breakdown covered the cats. Not that they bother, far to superior to worry about something as unimportant as breakdown.

Ill check it out with the breakdown company.

Score this weekend, birds and mice 0 cats 5.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back