Brandon to Caerphilly Cheese Meet.

stonedaddy

I thought I would just put our little trip in convoy from the Brandon meet to the Caerphilly Cheese Festival up for a read. There was four vans left Brandon on the Tuesday morning. Jenny and John p led off into the unknown followed by Sue and her mum Pam (daisyminnie). Next was Lee in his 4x4 Mitsubishi, followed by tail end charlie Jose and Tom (stonedaddy). We had a nice uneventful journey when John swung into this pub car park while going through the Cotswolds. We was in a little village called Andoversford near Cheltenham. The pub was called The Royal Oak and it was closed. Jenny went to see if we could stay the night and we would use the pub. I was not very confident of them letting 4 motorhomes park on their premises but I could not have been more wrong, the landlady Candy just asked for us to park up tight in a corner so other customers could get in easy and she then opened the pub for us. There was no bar staff on at the time except the chef getting ready for the evening meals to be started. We all had to have our own slate ( O dear ) as no tills open. Soon the beer was flowing followed by the meals which the Chef had to start early to do them. We ate outside in glorious sunshine then later moved into the pub drinking until closing time. At the end we squared our slate up :cry::cry: which was a bit more than we wanted to spend but the food was good the drinks was also good and a great night was had by all. Before we retired for the night Candy asked did we want breakfast the next morning. This was very unexpected as they don't usually do breakfast but we all said yes. She said it would be £7:50 for the food. We thought that seemed a bit steep but we all decided to order it. The next morning when we arrived in the pub to dine we was pretty much overwhelmed. This food came with no warning signs and it sure is not for the faint hearted. Anyone who was looking after their figure had to put it on hold for the day.
The breakfast started with the normal choice of cereals and fruit juices. There was tea and coffee as much as you could drink. Next plates of toast arrived followed by this huge breakfast. It was not served by waiters but by the local builders hod carriers. It consisted of two eggs, three rashers of bacon, two huge black puddings, a hundred weight of baked beans, a pan of tomatoes, two large sausages, a large scoop of mushrooms, two ash browns, and probably other things which I have missed out in the mix. Now when you think they had to get staff in to make and serve all this gear specially and pay them it makes the £7:50 look really cheap. I don't think we could have purchased what we ate for that.
There are no facilities for motor homes but they welcomed us to use their toilets and sinks. There was also a hose pipe which can be used for filling the water tanks which we did.
After all the problems we read about overnight parking and no parking for camper vans this made a really nice change. Like people have pointed out if they don't let us park they don't make any money. This pub made so much money we had to sell our vans to pay for it and get the bus to Caerphilly but what a great stop it turned out to be. Also there was dog walks across the road out into the fine countryside which we also made use of. I am going to add a few photo's. P7232146.jpgP7232147.jpgP7232148.jpgP7232149.jpgP7232150.jpgP7232151.jpgP7232152.jpgP7232153.jpgP7232154.jpgP7232155.jpgP7232156.jpgP7232157.jpgP7232158.jpgP7232159.jpgP7232160.jpgP7232161.jpgP7232162.jpgP7232163.jpgP7232164.jpgP7232165.jpgP7232166.jpgP7232167.jpgP7232168.jpgP7242169.jpgP7242170.jpgP7242171.jpgP7242172.jpgP7242173.jpgP7242174.jpgP7242175.jpgP7242176.jpg
.... Tom ....

Well said Tom!!!!...Candy and her staff went out of their way to accommodate us and make us feel welcome, I would certainly recommend the Royal Oak for a stopover, The food appeared to be a little expensive for us northeners but on reflection i would have paid that and more for their hospitality. The food is all fresh and locally sourced and very very tasty...They even went out of their way to get some black pudding for the moaning northerners who stated a full english was not a full english without black pudding....;)

What a motley crew! Only joking! You all obviously had a great time and great pics Tom :dog:

Part 2 Brandon to Caerphilly Cheese meet.

After leaving the Cotswolds and our pub stop at The Royal Oak we headed into South Wales. On the way we lost Lee who diverted off to his mates for a shower. The three remaining vans carried on to Barry Island where all three of us ended up in a crowded dead end in the busy seaside town. We caused quite a bit of havoc taking it in turns to do a sort of a three point turn in heavy traffic on a very small road. Once we sorted ourselves out we headed for the Knapp which on arrival had notices saying no overnight parking. there was toilets and an outside cold shower brrrrrrrr. We had to go through a gate which I was informed by another motorhome owner that it was locked at Eight pm with the toilets. He also said if you don't abuse it and just stay one night then a blind eye is given to camper vans. In the end there was our convoy of three and about three other vans dotted about. The gate and toilets were locked at 8 pm and the next morning they was unlocked at 8am. The authorities never bothered so we had a lovely night on the seafront with toilets and washing facilities the next morning if needed. I even saw a lady jogger using the cold outside shower before running off again ( she was one brave lady). We had breakfast in the vans and the whole experience was free which was needed after our stop at the pub the previous night. We then headed for Haydn's Cheese Festival where we linked up with Lee again. I will now put a couple of photo's on of our night on the Knapp.
P7242177.jpgP7242178.jpgP7242179.jpgP7242180.jpgP7242181.jpgP7242182.jpgP7242183.jpgP7242184.jpgP7242185.jpgP7252186.jpgP7252187.jpgP7252188.jpg
.... Tom ....

Nice photos, thanks StoneD. I see J. is the new King Canute trying to defy the tide from his deckchair.

Great pics Tom! Going to go back and read the novel now!!! :)

Burry Port

What about your trip to Burry port Tom?

Hi Haydn yes we did go to Burry Port but the convoy was down to two vans after Sue and Pam had to go home from Caerphilly to sort Tilly her dog out who is not very well at the moment. We parked up at the far end of the harbour and bought parking tickets that lasted 4 hours for £1:50. Once again there was toilets and wash basins if needed. There was other vans there and one guy was a regular and he said he never pays and no one has ever bothered him up to now. There is also a car park at the side of the harbour masters office which is just for campervans and the charge is a quiet reasonable £7:00 per night. One van did use this car park but I am glad we did not follow suit as he run his generator for hours once he got set up. I never took any photo's at Burry Port but they are fantastic white sands that you can walk miles on. Jenny and Joan P may have taken a few and might put some on but if not I have taken some from a previous trip there and if people are not bored with my over indulgence in the photo department I will put those on further down the thread if anyone is interested.

After Burry Port we went on to East Angle and once more we took a wrong turning following the sat nav. We ended up at the end of a very narrow track with double gets facing us. The sat nav said one and a quarter miles straight on but it was a private road belonging to a big house with locked gates. Me and John just about managed to wiggle our vans round and went back the way we came but half way we met a Jag coming towards us. The guy must have owned the big house and he backed up back to the main road. I told him the sat nav sent us down there and he said it happens all the time and we wanted the next on the right which we found and ended up on Angle beach car park. Once again there was a notice saying no overnight parking but we decided to stay as it was free and there was toilets and wash basins open as well. If we was asked to move we would have found somewhere else but other campervans arrived and once again we had a nice peaceful night. The next morning we woke to pouring rain, so after our couple of weeks of glorious sunshine we decided to head for home and it took us eight hours in none stop downfall. I will put some photo's on of Angle.

P7302226.jpgP7302227.jpgP7302228.jpgP7302229.jpgP7302230.jpgP7302231.jpgP7302232.jpgP7302233.jpgP7302234.jpgP7302235.jpgP7302236.jpgP7302237.jpgP7302238.jpgP7302239.jpgP7312240.jpgP7312241.jpgP7312242.jpgP7312243.jpgP7312244.jpg

.... Tom ....

:lol-053: :lol-061::lol-061::lol-061::lol-053: Cheeky bugger, I've been taking lessons off Jess.

.... Tom ....

Haha, I know I am cheeky aren't I!! But knew you wouldn't mind. Anyway I have finished the last chapter of your book now and really enjoyed it, will look forward to the the next one!! :):wacko:

Nice :)

Enjoyed the pics and write up, Barry is very close to me so will try that out ;)

Sad girl still waiting but maybe next week, long story lots cock ups, waiting on DVLA now ...
But when I do I will post pics, there are some on my account page, the squatter is mum.

We've never been to Angle/East Angle. Looks pretty & peaceful from your photos (for which, thank-you).
Were there many vans there overnight ? Crowded or quiet ?. Cheers (oops, no pint in hand tonight).

In East Angle there is a pub called the Point and the owner welcomes motor homes, stunning spot overlooking the beach.

East Angle

We've never been to Angle/East Angle. Looks pretty & peaceful from your photos (for which, thank-you).
Were there many vans there overnight ? Crowded or quiet ?. Cheers (oops, no pint in hand tonight).

Hi Micheal hows the head. When we got there it was very busy with car park quiet crowded and a few camper vans as well. After about six pm it all emptied so just John and Jenny P and us left. After about 7pm 3 more vans arrived but hardly saw anyone from them. It was very quiet indeed and some great walks if needed. On the way to East Angle you pass through West angle village which has a pub which Haydn has pointed out takes campers on request but we only stayed the one night. It was throwing it down the following morning so we did not venture anywhere. We decided to head for home. Give it a try it seemed a nice place to us.
.... Tom ....

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back