boxer steering pulses

Mossystone

Maybe someone with technical knowledge can shed light on a problem with the steering on my 2011 Symbol boxer. On start-up the steering wheel pulses from side to side. the movement is only slight giving the impression of unbalanced wheels. on the road it is evident while steering straight ahead but not whilst off of the straight (while turning) . It has only been noticeable since the cold weather. I have found reference to it on another forum posted in 2014 where the boxer owners of new vans experienced it but there is no record of their having diagnosed or correcting it.
It becomes much less evident when the van has done a few miles. I think the power steering is electric on this van . Is it just a low temperature problem or could it be associated with lower battery voltage/power on cold starting?
Any suggestions welcome.

I would be surprised if it's electric. Have a look under the bonnet...

It sounds like the valve in the rack is worn/sticking, but how old is the fluid? Changing it and following the correct bleeding procedure wouldn't hurt and is relatively cheap.

Screenshot_20230128_161036_Samsung Internet.jpg

So, seems like non electric 🤔

I think you will find a wonky tyre is the problem, the belts/wire shift which gives at slow speed a wobble, seen a van today with this on the rear wheel.

I had similar a while ago on my 2012 Ducato. We were unable to identify what was causing an issue, my tame muckyneck removed and replaced the multi plug down by the steering and it cleared, steering position sensor. So consider maybe an electrical issue? But foreign electrics are all so faultless, aren’t they? :eek:

it is hydraulic power steering.

I would be surprised if it's electric. Have a look under the bonnet...

It sounds like the valve in the rack is worn/sticking, but how old is the fluid? Changing it and following the correct bleeding procedure wouldn't hurt and is relatively cheap.
Its due for a service and MoT in the next two weeks so will get mechanic to check fluid and pump. I cant see fluid reservoir under the bonnet which led me to think it was electric.
I had similar a while ago on my 2012 Ducato. We were unable to identify what was causing an issue, my tame muckyneck removed and replaced the multi plug down by the steering and it cleared, steering position sensor. So consider maybe an electrical issue? But foreign electrics are all so faultless, aren’t they? :eek:

it is hydraulic power steering.
Is this multiplug under the dash or the bonnet? If I can find it it is worth a try.

Looking at the pic in post #3, it would confirm belt driven power steering?

I had a kind of similar sounding problem with the power steering on my VW Transporter and it was just a matter of the belt had stretched over time.
New belt and problem fixed. Maybe yours will be as simple?

Worth checking the belt tension - you don't want it as floppy as mine was!

Pump valves maybe, not a fan of power steering myself
You built like Garth then Trev. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

The much smaller collapsible steering wheels, have saved many lives Trev.
These old large solid steering wheels must have killed thousands over the years.

Looking at the pic in post #3, it would confirm belt driven power steering?

I had a kind of similar sounding problem with the power steering on my VW Transporter and it was just a matter of the belt had stretched over time.
New belt and problem fixed. Maybe yours will be as simple?

Worth checking the belt tension - you don't want it as floppy as mine was!
Thanks for suggestion. Will ask mechanic to check this .

I agree with person who said tyres they go egg shaped, run your hand over the tread to feel for high spots before condemning the power steering,

You built like Garth then Trev. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

The much smaller collapsible steering wheels, have saved many lives Trev.
These old large solid steering wheels must have killed thousands over the years.
Steering is heavy because the engine is at the wrong end and driving the wrong wheels.

Booked in to the garage next week to have it checked fully . Slight development... Steering now tending to pull to the left slightly as it pulses. most noticeable at low speeds ie when creeping in traffic. All the posters saying it is hydraulic were right. fluid up to mark.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back