boxer steering pulses

Are you getting a warning light as well on the dash?

I recall when I experienced a similar problem, that (do not do this) I found that if I momentarily turned off the ignition while driving slowly along a deserted road the problem stopped. Obviously I no longer had power steering and limited braking (do not do it) but as soon as I turned the ignition back on the wobbles resumed. We put it down to the proportioning valve down near the base of the steering. Wiggling the electrics sorted it.

Are you getting a warning light as well on the dash?

I recall when I experienced a similar problem, that (do not do this) I found that if I momentarily turned off the ignition while driving slowly along a deserted road the problem stopped. Obviously I no longer had power steering and limited braking (do not do it) but as soon as I turned the ignition back on the wobbles resumed. We put it down to the proportioning valve down near the base of the steering. Wiggling the electrics sorted it.
no warning light. I still have to find this elusive multi plug at the base of the steering column. Thanks for your suggestions

Maybe someone with technical knowledge can shed light on a problem with the steering on my 2011 Symbol boxer. On start-up the steering wheel pulses from side to side. the movement is only slight giving the impression of unbalanced wheels. on the road it is evident while steering straight ahead but not whilst off of the straight (while turning) . It has only been noticeable since the cold weather. I have found reference to it on another forum posted in 2014 where the boxer owners of new vans experienced it but there is no record of their having diagnosed or correcting it.
It becomes much less evident when the van has done a few miles. I think the power steering is electric on this van . Is it just a low temperature problem or could it be associated with lower battery voltage/power on cold starting?
Any suggestions welcome.
Check the drive belt had same prob on 2012 Boxer..

Van returned today after service and mot. Mechanic moved wheels from front to back and diagonally. He couldn't find any issues with tyres or wheels but something has solved the problem.
Thanks for all suggestions.

Van returned today after service and mot. Mechanic moved wheels from front to back and diagonally. He couldn't find any issues with tyres or wheels but something has solved the problem.
Thanks for all suggestions.
Still think its a tyre band shift, you wont know as it will be on the back axle now, if so it will get worse possibly over time.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back