Best European insurance and single trip recovery cover

machhojome

Hi there , well who knew it would be so difficult to work through the best options for both insurance and single trip (More than 90 days) Roadside assistance cover for our camper.

Im sure this will be a well trodden route. Could anyone help with the best companies or ways of achieving this.

All recommends appreciated

Mark.

Hi there , well who knew it would be so difficult to work through the best options for both insurance and single trip (More than 90 days) Roadside assistance cover for our camper.

Im sure this will be a well trodden route. Could anyone help with the best companies or ways of achieving this.

Mark.

Safeguard.

It's unclear if you are asking about mh insurance or breakdown cover or both.

If both, then I agree that Safeguard would be my first choice.

If it is just breakdown cover, then ADAC simply cannot be beaten on either cost or their superb service.

james

Currently with Comfort(Aviva) but looks like I will be changing to SAGA for about £40 less.

If I can remember correctly I found the Safeguard site so frustrating as after tediously jumping through hoops are finally asked "Do you have ??? alarm fitted? - No - Sorry we cannot quote". A totally waste of time, so be prepared.

I also find other sites that you provide all the info to, only to have "Our expert will phone you" to repeat the same questions". Not to me, and if they do phone I give them short thrift and hang up.

If it is just breakdown cover, then ADAC simply cannot be beaten on either cost or their superb service.

james

Sadly ADAC is not available to new membership applications from the U.K.

Cheers

H

ADAC UK members

Sadly ADAC is not available to new membership applications from the U.K.

Cheers

H

Hello Wink,

Can you provide a source for that statement please ?

I've heard many such statements, even before I joined, but when I called Germany they were happy to accept members from UK, the entire joining and payment procedure was done over the phone.

I joined around 3-4 years ago, but I called them out 2 weeks ago for roadside assistance (while in the UK) and I enquired if they are still accepting UK members, "yes, no problem" was the reply.

The annual renewal is a bit fiddly (for whatever reason) it requires me to make an international payment via on-line banking as the direct debit system doesn't operate, but this is straightforward once set up.

james

We are with Safeguard (just renewed after phoning around to check other companies rates) they offer us fully comp with breakdown cover throughout Europe for 365 days without restrictions. As I understand it ADAC will renew membership from UK customers but will not accept new business.

Pat

I'm insured with Caravan Guard,European insurance and breakdown covers you for up to nine months in Europe within the policy year. The maximum amount of time that can be spent in any one country is 180 consecutive days.No length or weight restrictions and they will also repatriate you and the motorhome if the driver becomes incapacitated.

Fortunately I've not had to claim but by all accounts the claim service is good.

Hello Wink,

Can you provide a source for that statement please ?

I've heard many such statements, even before I joined, but when I called Germany they were happy to accept members from UK, the entire joining and payment procedure was done over the phone.

I joined around 3-4 years ago, but I called them out 2 weeks ago for roadside assistance (while in the UK) and I enquired if they are still accepting UK members, "yes, no problem" was the reply.

The annual renewal is a bit fiddly (for whatever reason) it requires me to make an international payment via on-line banking as the direct debit system doesn't operate, but this is straightforward once set up.

james

Hello James.

I have renewed via email to Ann-Katrin in the Regensburg office because I was given to understand, from reading a few threads on this subject, that sometimes a phone call can be directed to offices other than Regensburg which may or may not handle renewals.

The topic of acceptance of new UK membership is discussed at length on this thread. https://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forum...-finishing-new-uk-members.html?highlight=adac

The renewal process took around ten minutes from my initial email enquiry to ADAC. As I was only renewing I never thought to ask if new memberships are accepted, seemed pointless after all the stuff I'd read. Here's what I had from Regensburg ...

Hello,

in order to process the annual renewal for your membership, please reply to this message with the following information:

1. Your Membership number
2. Your 16-digit credit card number
3. The card’s expiry date.

Please submit these 3 data points in one email as a reply to this message.

Unfortunately, we cannot store your payment information. We accept all major credit cards, with the exception of American Express.

Also, we would like to inform you that in some cases, your bank may decline our request for payment if your bank is situated outside of Germany. It is the most convenient to ask your bank to grant you permission for this transaction beforehand.

Please keep in mind if you would like to cancel your membership next term, we require a written notice of cancellation at least 3 months before the renewal date. You may submit your claims and cancellation notices to mitgliederservice@adac.de directly.

Best Regards,

Geschäftsstelle & Reisebüro
ADAC Südbayern e. V., Paracelsusstraße 1, 93053 Regensburg
Tel: (0941) 5 56 73 Fax: (0941) 56 16 65
adac-regensburg@sby.adac.de
www.adac.de/suedbayern

The two email contact I have for the office are as follows:-

amanda.moser-wickles@sby.adac.de
Ann-Katrin.Zintl@sby.adac.de
Cheers

H

Mark.

Hello Mark

I would have a go at ADAC because they have a very good reputation and worldwide joint cover for two people costs €109 plus a bit extra for the first year. The ladies mentioned in my post(10) of this thread are very helpful and efficient.

Cheers

H

Sorted

Thanks for the information, in the end I got the best cover and price from Safeguard. They offered me 365 day European recovery cover on top of the fully comp for £319. Best deal after id shopped around in particular with the full year cover for extended trips. All help appreciated , bring on the 17th April when we get the ferry to Bilbao.....

Adac

Hi all, I have e emailed ADAC today. I am welcome to renew my membership but they will Not accept new members with UK adress. Mikael.

This is the easy bit wait till you try and leave your house un-attended for any length of time. Some Insurance Companies limit you to 30 days :scared: so you finish up having to cancel one and try and find another.

Hi all, I have e emailed ADAC today. I am welcome to renew my membership but they will Not accept new members with UK adress. Mikael.

I can confirm that they no longer accept new members outside of Germany, I know because I called them last year (around September/October) and was told I needed to have a German address.

Regards,
Del

This is the easy bit wait till you try and leave your house un-attended for any length of time. Some Insurance Companies limit you to 30 days :scared: so you finish up having to cancel one and try and find another.

Not so difficult ...

Comfort, underwritten by Aviva, will cover house and contents for up to 180 days unoccupied.

We’re with Camping & Caravan Club and are covered up to 180 days away from Home 🏠

Been with Saga for several years for breakdown,best price each time

Just an update. Nearly went with SAGA however cannot leave vehicle abroad as it must return to UK. With Comfort I have at least agreed one parking company at Alicante airport and if I do leave it, it is a £20 admin fee. Had a lot of hassle getting the parking agreed so may be different if I parked elsewhere.

Enjoy

Adac

If it is just breakdown cover, then ADAC simply cannot be beaten on either cost or their superb service.3

james

I have just, today tried cover with ADAC and unless you live in Germany they will not cover you and that was from the horses mouth today 21.03.18.
If anyone has an answer I would be pleased to hear it as I am now stuck.
To clarify I have a 1991 Hymer B545 in top order, so what’s the risk ?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back