Best club to belong to for inveterate wild camper.

Harrytherid

Best club to belong to for inveterate wild camper. I am dropping out of Caravan and Motorhome club as a result of advice from this forum but can no longer find the notes I made when that advice was posted. I have not stayed on a site for the past 12 years and hardly ever before that so I am definitely not a Caravan and Motorhome club type and I can not stand the puns they persist in using for the headlines in the magazine.

In 10 years of having my van I have never been I a campsite or even seen one on my travels. caravan sites yes, but they are full of Belfast townies which I don't want to be close to, head down now.

Well I tried the Camping & Caravan Club, only using their CS sites and loathed the experience as these sites almost always had not only caravans and motorhomes but also loads and loads of tents, frequently in quite small parcels of land (and worse still for me, marauding kids!).

So I rejoined the Caravan & Motorhome Club and only ever use their remote CL sites that are in large parcels of land and only at a maximum of £12 per night and frequently almost deserted. As for their magazine, I stopped taking it years ago as it has to be the worst edited publication on planet earth!!

Well I tried the Camping & Caravan Club, only using their CS sites and loathed the experience as these sites almost always had not only caravans and motorhomes but also loads and loads of tents, frequently in quite small parcels of land (and worse still for me, marauding kids!).

So I rejoined the Caravan & Motorhome Club and only ever use their remote CL sites that are in large parcels of land and only at a maximum of £12 per night and frequently almost deserted. As for their magazine, I stopped taking it years ago as it has to be the worst edited publication on planet earth!!
We've been members of the camping and caravaning club for years,
Only ever use their small 5 pitch cl/cs type sites...
We mostly wild camp BUT a stop for water/waste dump when needed OR when there are no suitable wild sites available....

Never had a moments issue... They tend to be very quiet (limited facilities means little to keep folks feral kids occupied... So most folks with young savages seem to avoid them)
Often very reasonably priced at around £10 a night...
Though some have increased of late.

They also have discounts for insurance etc too which can be useful for some folks.

Overall its a handy backstop for us.

don't see the point of them or sites TBH, we started in 07 and only stayed on one site Sligachan, and it was closed for winter so not counted.

57.292120, -6.176578​

The Camping and Caravanning club have a "service stop off" scheme for members. £7.30 to call at some of their sites for up to 3 hours. Empty wastes, fill water have a shower. Useful while travelling around. They also have Temporary Holiday Sites (THSs) for around £10 a night. They always have waste dump and fresh water. Normally no booking required (but with Covid that may have changed) and one night stops are ok. They have an "out&about" app for members to find them.

shame you have to be a member as we would use them out of preference to other places for water and waste.

I thought there was a list of places where you didn't need to be a member.

Agree 100% about the magazine Millie. It is truly dreadful. I thought I was obliged to receive it as a punishment for being a member. (only do it for the CLs). Sounds like you can opt out of the mag?

So I rejoined the Caravan & Motorhome Club and only ever use their remote CL sites that are in large parcels of land and only at a maximum of £12 per night and frequently almost deserted.

Interesting. I've used both indiscriminately but haven't really taken notice of which is which.

Has anyone else found CMC to be the better option?

We have been members of both. A few years ago when on an economy drive I stayed with CMC only.We rarely use their sites or cls, but like the magazine. Also use their insurance and ferry bookings.
The one advantage of CC club is their temporary sites which are usually good value.

CMC has more CLs with no facilities apart from water and waste because they don't have to cater for tent campers who need toilets and showers. We tend to seek these out. Having said that the search facility on the CMC website for CLs is absolutely shocking; they really, really don't want you to use CLs . One CL owner has generously and, I guess, in despair, created a Google map showing all CLs without electric. A link to this can be found on the CMC member forum but you have to dig a bit to find it.

Well thanks for the replies folks but not what I wanted. The post I was referring to said that the CMC was a money grabbing lot and that there was a much better one that catered for wild campers especially and was considerably cheaper. Several others agreed and I immediately cancelled my subscription direct debit and made a note to change when membership of CMC ran out. I have lost that note, twit.

Well thanks for the replies folks but not what I wanted. The post I was referring to said that the CMC was a money grabbing lot and that there was a much better one that catered for wild campers especially and was considerably cheaper. Several others agreed and I immediately cancelled my subscription direct debit and made a note to change when membership of CMC ran out. I have lost that note, twit.
https://themotorcaravannersclub.co.uk/aires_in_the_uk.php

From this thread:

Maybe?

There is no membership fee for CAMpRA UK Ltd. There are associations with different groups who may share the same aims - to get more overnight parking for self contained motorcaravans.

Agree 100% about the magazine Millie. It is truly dreadful. I thought I was obliged to receive it as a punishment for being a member. (only do it for the CLs). Sounds like you can opt out of the mag?
I signed up for digital magazine. get sent an email to say when it is released, don't bother opening it. Looked at half the first issue when I first joined, too many ads, so not bothered since.
Maybe see if you can change to digital in your account settings and ignore emails ;)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back