BBC iPlayer closing their desktop app

Would there be any way of downloading the tablet app onto a laptop?

Actually it might be possible. This is Windows 11. Not tested it

EDIT: There are options for Windows 10 but they are a bit geeky. Only for the brave I would say.

Last edited:
  • Thank You
Reactions: GMJ
Thanks for that Barry. (y)

I'll give it a go sometime soon and report back although if anyone else does it I'll be all ears....

Would there be any way of downloading the tablet app onto a laptop?
Probably. One issue is that the iPlayer app appears not to be available on the Amazon App Store, but there may be ways round this.

• Thank You
Thanks for that Barry. (y)

I'll give it a go sometime soon and report back although if anyone else does it I'll be all ears....

Believe it or not I dont have a W11 machine here right now but it looks simple enough. I might explore the W10 options when I have more time and can be bothered. :D

What you can do with a l top is duel boot android from the linux web site and then do the bbc apt.
Mind you its a old distro from 2 years back but it may do the trick.
android x86.jpg

Couldn’t you just buy a cheap portable monitor and plug your phone (with app) into it?, one I know of is 15” made by yodoit and has 2 x usbc ports so use one for power and other for phone, might work

• Thank You
Couldn’t you just buy a cheap portable monitor and plug your phone (with app) into it?, one I know of is 15” made by yodoit and has 2 x usbc ports so use one for power and other for phone, might work

I was hoping not to have to carry more stuff in the MH as I would have my laptop anyway.

For those purely into watching streamed or downloaded stuff I would suggest looking at the Samsung Galaxy Tab S7+ or later Tab+ tablets all android based.

The Oled based display offers a fantastic viewing experience and the display is a decent size and with 4 speaker dolby sound built in. And with an appropriate cover you can position the tablet anywhere in the vehicle propped up on the dining table or elsewhere.

And if you have an android phone you can sync the tablet with this and of course use the phone as a hotspot if you have a WiFi only tablet.

We never use the TV now as it has become redundant.

We do have plenty of stuff downloaded if we hit a mobile dark spot. We rarely watch live TV as the programming schedules do not fit in with our motorhoming life but if we do we stream through the tablet using an appropriate app.

The screen would be too small for us hence my starting this thread.

The screen would be too small for us hence my starting this thread.
And on a similar theme, nowhere suitable to prop a tablet when eating, so need to use the TV screen.

And on a similar theme, nowhere suitable to prop a tablet when eating, so need to use the TV screen.
Guess it depends on the van layout but ours sits on the dining table for viewing.

On the screen size issue the tablet sits a lot closer to us than the TV on its mount so no noticeable difference. We have a 19" TV (little used now) which sits around 5ft away and a 12.7" tablet that sits around 3ft away.

If of course you have a 24" TV or even bigger (yikes!) then you would notice the difference.

We don't like the TV to dominate the space so 19" suits us but we both have good 20/20 spectacle free vision.

As an aside why do the Spanish take their 55" home TV with them and watch it full blast at night in their awning?

Thought I would update this thread as there has been a couple of updates on one of the other forums.

I tried BlueStacks Android emulator yesterday. Absolutely rubbish. Too clunky and not very good.

So someone suggested this. "Get_Iplayer" Its a bit geeky but I got it to work straight away. Basically you can pretty much download anything off iPlayer and there is no expiration. I've only tested it the once so I am by no means an expert. This video explains how it all works and there are links in the video description. (click on the video title to open in youtube to get to the description)

I've been using get-player for years on the pc. Any stuff we want to keep to watch in the van is loaded onto a USB stick or SD card.
As barryd says it's not very intuitive, some might even say geeky, but I can just about cope with it

I use a pc monitor (27 inch) if it uses a power brick it will run off 12 v add a fire stick/Chromecast etc connected to phone hotspot all running off a small phone power bank full nights viewing and charge left for breakfast tv

After having some help/advice from Barry I have now downloaded the get_iplayer and by using the Queue facility on it I have downloaded a few series to my laptop. They play on the AnyDVD player I have installed on my laptop.

Its a right result as we always take loads of iPlayer downloads and Netflix downloads with us when we are abroad as it saves on burning data up too quickly.

After having some help/advice from Barry I have now downloaded the get_iplayer and by using the Queue facility on it I have downloaded a few series to my laptop. They play on the AnyDVD player I have installed on my laptop.

Its a right result as we always take loads of iPlayer downloads and Netflix downloads with us when we are abroad as it saves on burning data up too quickly.
It's really good I think and it shows the usefulness of the forums. One post was all it took.

I'm surprised the BBC have not tried to stop it though considering the effort they go to stop overseas streaming. Actually I wonder if it will work outside of the UK.

The downloads should work presumably, as they are downloaded but do you mean trying to download when you are abroad? We hotspot so the BBC thinks we are in the UK anyway so 🤷‍♂️

Back