BBC iPlayer closing their desktop app

The downloads should work presumably, as they are downloaded but do you mean trying to download when you are abroad? We hotspot so the BBC thinks we are in the UK anyway so 🤷‍♂️

Yeah I meant if you were abroad and a new series came out on iPlayer you might want to download it. Yes if you are on a UK sim it should be fine. Wont bother me as my "current" van aint going abroad anymore. :D

Reactions: GMJ
We decided to buy a Samsung tablet & take that away instead of my smaller laptop.
BT shafted us by supplying sh&te broadband and not fixing it quickly, so we'll be tethering it to my phone to download progs as we are on our way to Scotland.

After having some help/advice from Barry I have now downloaded the get_iplayer and by using the Queue facility on it I have downloaded a few series to my laptop. They play on the AnyDVD player I have installed on my laptop.

Its a right result as we always take loads of iPlayer downloads and Netflix downloads with us when we are abroad as it saves on burning data up too quickly.
Queue facility? I've never explored that far, I'm bound to make a mess of it.
I've always copied the address of the programme from iplayer and pasted it onto the relevant bit of the get_iplayer page,then hit "record".
It does get a bit laborious when it comes to a long series. I'll have to look into it!

What I did was...

- Search the iPlayer for the series I want
- Copy the URL into the Quick URL box below (let me know if there isn't an image below)
- Click Queue
- Repeat for each episode of the series
- When done then click Run PVR

These all then downloaded into my AnyDVD programme on my laptop and are then ready to play.

1712897251724.png

Some of you folks may be aware that the BBC are closing their desktop app in April. We use this on our laptop for when we are away: I download a load of stuff for us to watch when abroad so we don't burn data.

I asked the BBC why they are doing this and they replied...

We have made the difficult decision to close the Desktop Downloads app for BBC iPlayer, due to the low number of people using it and the cost required to keep it going. This does not affect downloads on the BBC iPlayer mobile or tablet apps, and viewers can continue to stream programmes on BBC iPlayer on their PCs and Macs.

Please be aware that from Monday 11 March 2024, you will no longer be able to download programmes from the web. Any existing programmes will be available to watch until Monday 8 April 2024, when the BBC iPlayer Downloads app will be closed.

The question I wanted to ask you folks was whether it would be possible to wire up from a tablet to our laptop so in effect we use our laptop as a screen only?

I know that we can get the programmes on the tablet and our phones but that is not really practical if 2 of us want to watch a couple of hours of stuff.
As it is BBC content that you want to download, and store for viewing on a laptop then look at get_iplayer for Windows from Square Penguin. A fantastic little utility that will download full quality programs/series, and Sounds files as MP4 & MP3

What I did was...

- Search the iPlayer for the series I want
- Copy the URL into the Quick URL box below (let me know if there isn't an image below)
- Click Queue
- Repeat for each episode of the series
- When done then click Run PVR

These all then downloaded into my AnyDVD programme on my laptop and are then ready to play.

View attachment 129981
Thanks, I'll give that a go next time

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back