Batteries

My hymer disconnects the batteries when voltage drops below a safe discharge level.

If I fitted batteries that could safely go below that level of discharge would I get the benefit I wonder? Its 2004.
I am hoping you get an answer as our chausson does the same.
I would like to know if it's easy to stop this function before I buy a battery that goes to a lower voltage .

Hi, did you see my post #20?
No I missed it. Got it now though. So ..after doing some searching mines a cb516 made in italy. Darn thing is boxed in under a side seat with the writing in the wrong place. I only have blinky lights for volts no led screen ( above door) so unless I get under the bed to the battery with a meter it's all guesswork.
If I'm understanding it right it will do lead or gel without manually switching it over. It cuts the leisure battery off at 11 volts.
Think I will go 130AH EXPEDITION PLUS Deep Cycle AGM LEISURE BATTERY as it will fit the tray/compartment . (Standard 115 at present)
grateful for any advice.

My hymer disconnects the batteries when voltage drops below a safe discharge level.

If I fitted batteries that could safely go below that level of discharge would I get the benefit I wonder? Its 2004.
This will be based on the Voltage and not the state of discharge.
If the Hymer is anything like the Sargent in terms of what voltage is determined to be 'safe', it is much too low to actually be safe or at least usable no matter what battery was fitted.

No I missed it. Got it now though. So ..after doing some searching mines a cb516 made in italy. Darn thing is boxed in under a side seat with the writing in the wrong place. I only have blinky lights for volts no led screen ( above door) so unless I get under the bed to the battery with a meter it's all guesswork.
If I'm understanding it right it will do lead or gel without manually switching it over. It cuts the leisure battery off at 11 volts.
Think I will go 130AH EXPEDITION PLUS Deep Cycle AGM LEISURE BATTERY as it will fit the tray/compartment . (Standard 115 at present)
grateful for any advice.
OK, So just as David said, cutting off discharge at 11V wont save a standard lead acid battery from deep discharge because 11V is practically fully discharged.
The battery you're thinking of getting is a plain AGM leisure battery and not lead carbon, the spec says 700 cycles at 50% depth of discharge and 1/2 of that for full discharge. A lead carbon would improve upon that somewhat and also a lead carbon wouldn't suffer from sulphation that happens when a battery sits in a partial state of charge too, so the battery will keep it's performance for much longer and you don't need to pay as much attention to keeping the battery in a 100% state of charge as you should with lead acid.
Lead carbons accept the 'bulk' or Constant current period of charging for longer which results in them charging quicker too. All in all a much better than standard lead acid be that AGM or Gel.
They are a drop in replacement too.
They are available in both AGM and Gel, the gels appear to offer slightly better performance and you can lay them on their side too but they cost more.
The CB516 has an internal switch which changes the charging parameters actually, use pos C for AGM and B for gel.
Lead Carbon, No brainer really;)

Looked at the specs of my solar controller that I run all my stuff through and it cuts off at 11.1v looks like my battery is near 10yrs old so I must have done something right for it to last this long. Glad it failed during the winter when not in use just hope the new one lasts as long now. Which I have just fitted super fast delivery from alpha batteries and used the club discount(y)

Mike
20230303_121101.jpg

Looked at the specs of my solar controller that I run all my stuff through and it cuts off at 11.1v looks like my battery is near 10yrs old so I must have done something right for it to last this long. Glad it failed during the winter when not in use just hope the new one lasts as long now. Which I have just fitted super fast delivery from alpha batteries and used the club discount(y)

MikeView attachment 118076
Glad you're happy and hope it serves you well. Try and keep it fully charged whenever possible to keep sulphation down, letting them sit partially charged is a killer. As you've got a decent life out of the old one I'd say your solar is doing a good job of this(y)
At 11.1v the battery will basically fully discharged. The 11.1v cut out is more about preventing the battery voltage dropping to a point where sensitive mains or solar chargers thinks there's no battery/duff battery connected and hence wont allow charging to commence. The message is don't expect the cut out to extend your battery life because it wont I'm afraid.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back