Batteries

mikejay

My trusty varta lfd180 died last night over 8yrs old so not done too bad. So on the hunt for a replacement any suggestions heard lead carbon are good on here do they charge with the standard tech or do you need a special charger like lithium? looking at my size options 233 wide and high and 513 length it may have to be the varta led-190

Mike

Last edited:
I read that they don't like cold weather, not fully looked into them yet, short arms and long pocket syndrome.

My trusty varta lfd180 died last night over 8yrs old so not done too bad. So on the hunt for a replacement any suggestions heard lead carbon are good on here do they charge with the standard tech or do you need a special charger like lithium? looking at my size options 233 wide and high and 513 length it may have to be the varta led-190

Mike
Lead carbon require no changes in charging sys, they do not suffer from cold as lith batts do, they are now cheaper than bosh/varta silver power frame batts which would be my second pick of the bunch.

I just picked this up.

Unlike regular lead acid, lead carbon can operate between 30 and 70 percent state-of-charge without fear of becoming sulfated. The ALC is said to outlive the regular lead acid battery, but the negative is a rapid voltage drop on discharge, resembling that of a supercapacitor.

I'm not ex spurt of course.

I just picked this up.

Unlike regular lead acid, lead carbon can operate between 30 and 70 percent state-of-charge without fear of becoming sulfated. The ALC is said to outlive the regular lead acid battery, but the negative is a rapid voltage drop on discharge, resembling that of a supercapacitor.

I'm not ex spurt of course.
For sale on flee bay

Mike
Whatever you buy look at alpha batteries, they give 7.5% discount to members, and I can highly recommend them.

Thanks for your help everyone decided to get another varta from alpha batteries could not see anything same same size in carbon format.If the new led-190 is as good as my old lfd-180 i will be happy as it's lasted 9years. expensive month tax yesterday £295 mot yesterday £45 and today £315 for the battery with a members discount;) still need to fuel up :ROFLMAO:

Mike

Thanks for your help everyone decided to get another varta from alpha batteries could not see anything same same size in carbon format.If the new led-190 is as good as my old lfd-180 i will be happy as it's lasted 9years. expensive month tax yesterday £295 mot yesterday £45 and today £315 for the battery with a members discount;) still need to fuel up :ROFLMAO:

Mike
Robbed LOL.
lead c 110.png
lead loach.png

I've had this one.
It's, about 4 or 5 years old now (not sure because I bought it 2nd hand for £85 ) and still works terrific. Regularly push it with 70A-100A loads with the inverter and can't really notice any difference in performance from when I got it.
I usually plug in EHU once a week just to top up both batteries, cab battery has usually dropped slightly but the carbon is still sitting at 13v just as it always has done so nothing seems to be changing WRT self discharge either.(yes carbons seem to sit at a higher resting charge than lead acid).
Can't fault it esp for £85!

Have you not figured out how to do cut/copy and paste yet Trev?
Yes but always forget, i have now got a program to nick utube stuff like music and full vids, just I dont do a lot of that stuff, rather talk to other idiots like myself on here.:unsure:

I've had this one.
It's, about 4 or 5 years old now (not sure because I bought it 2nd hand for £85 ) and still works terrific. Regularly push it with 70A-100A loads with the inverter and can't really notice any difference in performance from when I got it.
I usually plug in EHU once a week just to top up both batteries, cab battery has usually dropped slightly but the carbon is still sitting at 13v just as it always has done so nothing seems to be changing WRT self discharge either.(yes carbons seem to sit at a higher resting charge than lead acid).
Can't fault it esp for £85!
Has anyone noticed battery prices doubling since lockdown, seems biziness want in excess of 100% profit these days, not like when i was in the trade where 33/3% was the norm.

That carbon above was £135 4-5 years ago, it was a tenner cheaper at Christmas than it is now so it's price seems to be increasing as per most stuff in today's market Trev.
I had been looking into some self build lithium but I've shelved that project because the cost of prismatic cells and import has shot up.
We know from experience that once stuff goes up it rarely comes back down.☹️

All above carbon batteries mentioned are no were near 190amp so I don't think robbed at all that's if it lasts as long as the last one🤣

Mike

Mike.
They are actually closer than they appear.
Lead carbon batteries will withstand deeper discharge than lead acid for a similar level of ageing which you should probably consider.
A 115Ah lead carbon discharged 90% equates to 103Ah, your 190Ah LA discharged to 50% (which is the typical suggested repeated discharge for LA) equates to just 95Ah. The LA would have the advantage of having 190A available for occasional use though which I get.
Spec for your Varta says it's life is 200 cycles but I'd expect that to be to 50% discharge.
The Carbon spec is around 500 cycles to 90% discharge. https://cdn.tayna.com/datasheets/LDC12-105-G27-DT spec.pdf
(y)

My hymer disconnects the batteries when voltage drops below a safe discharge level.

If I fitted batteries that could safely go below that level of discharge would I get the benefit I wonder? Its 2004.

Hi, can't be 100% sure without some info regarding the main contro unit but I'd expect you'd benefit considerably and quite possibly fully.
Most controllers have a low voltage disconnect feature but that's usually set to a voltage that would equate to way lower than 50%. Also ascertaining battery capacity by measuring it's voltage isn't particularly accurate or reliable because voltage fluctuates massively due to so many other factors and not just it's remaining capacity, if you're regularly hitting the 'auto cut off' with a standard lead acid battery then you're almost certainly discharging way past 50%.
Which controller does your MH use? If it's a EBL99 then the battery is pretty much flat at cut off.and all of the above applies.

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back