Basenthwaite lake (Lake District)

Ah Bassenthwaite. Holds a lifetime of Memories for me that place. We used to spend large parts of the summer there when we were kids when my old friend Dennis acquired a 1967 Commer Caravenette in the mid 80s. We used to park up at the little harbour at Peel Wyke under the A66. The guy that ran it had a boat building business and allowed us to stay there FOC for as long as we wanted. Just a short walk to the Pheasant inn which of course was a favourite haunt. I got engaged to Michelle in the Pheasant in 1992. So many memories.

If you haven't discovered it yet there is a short walk to St Begas Church which is delightful on the quieter eastern shore. We were last there in November but sadly I Can no longer make the walk.

Hi Barry,
I am pleased my photos brought back those memories for you. We intend to go back this year and walk around more of the lake. We also plan a walk around Derwent Water. I always think that the Lake District is like Scotland in miniature, but with more people. Sorry to hear you cannot manage St Begas Church walk Barry, that’s a real shame.

Hi Barry,
I am pleased my photos brought back those memories for you. We intend to go back this year and walk around more of the lake. We also plan a walk around Derwent Water. I always think that the Lake District is like Scotland in miniature, but with more people. Sorry to hear you cannot manage St Begas Church walk Barry, that’s a real shame.

Its been a lovely thread for me Bill. Really took me back. There is no place like it for me really but I guess Im biased with it being on my doorstep and having spent a lifetime there its properly under my skin. Ullswater is probably my favourite place though from my first tentative ventures out onto the lake in a canoe at about 6 or 7 where my dad kept the canoe tethered to a long rope at first to owning several boats on there and Windermere to biking and motorhoming there, even the odd bit of romance! :D No, not the sheep!

Did you ever try eating Perch or Pike? Perch is really nice but you need a bigun as they are so bony. Some landlord in Ireland cooked an 8lb Pike we caught, marinated it in cider overnight. Bit like Cod but stronger.

I've eaten Pike many times Barry but Perch only twice.

I caught a 3lb Perch from Windermere and was about to put it back when one of the locals approached and said "aren't you going to eat it". I said I wouldn't because it was such a nice specimen and back then it was rare to catch one that size. He said that they were ten a penny in the lakes so he talked us into it.

My mate who I was camping with was a chef and he cooked it over the campfire that night, it was delicious and although a bit bony still better than Trout or Salmon in my opinion.

Pike under 10lb are less earthy than the bigger ones, I usually soak them in brine overnight but only take them for the pot when they have a cull at some of the local Trout fisheries.

There are also some very rare fish found
'You could probably feed an entire African village on one of them! :D

Not sure there are too many of them swimming about in Bassenthwaite though. :D

There is supposed to be a monster though!

There are also some very rare fish found in the Lake district Barry as you probably know. Vendace are the rarest fish in the UK and only found in Derwentwater. There are also Powan (Schelly), Arctic Char and Feral Trout.

I once caught a couple of Blue Trout from the Tarn above Surprise View. They were delicious too.

Last edited:

There are also some very rare fish found in the Lake district Barry as you probably know. Vendace are the rarest fish in the UK and only found in Derwent Water. There are also Powan (Schelly), Arctic Char and Feral Trout.

I once caught a couple of Blue Trout from the Tarn above Surprise View. They were delicious too.
Murderer

It was a mercy killing really - I was hungry!

Actually though you are not allowed to return them to the water at many fisheries.
Fished for trout as a boy and , of course , ate them .
I know many do coarse fishing/competitive fishing but have never understood that

Fished for trout as a boy and , of course , ate them .
I know many do coarse fishing/competitive fishing but have never understood that

I used to match fish when I was young but got bored with it. These days I dabble with sea fishing but in fresh water I only Barbel, Tench, Pike and Trout really.

When I was a boy an old chap taught me how to tickle Trout (ooh er) and I was amazed when I caught my first one using this method.

I looked into fishing when I was younger and asked a few friends what it was all about who went with their dads, they told me they sat in the wind and the rain all day drowned a few maggots then packed up and came home, So I got into motorbikes.

If it was any good they would have renamed it Catching.

I looked into fishing when I was younger and asked a few friends what it was all about who went with their dads, they told me they sat in the wind and the rain all day drowned a few maggots then packed up and came home, So I got into motorbikes.

If it was any good they would have renamed it Catching.

I remember Carp Fishing on a lake in Derbyshire once Kev. I was relaxing on my bed-chair outside my Bivvy with a can of beer in my hand and several more waiting in the cool box. Snorkers cooking on the camp stove and radio playing in the background.

The bailiff came over for a chat and asked me if I had caught anything to which I replied "No mate, the Carp haven't disturbed me once".

They should rename it to camping, but once you have bought a season ticket it is far cheaper than paying for a campsite, beautiful surroundings and you can camp there as often as you like.

Hey Bill, when were you there? I tried to book in Thursday and they said it was closed.

I remember Carp Fishing on a lake in Derbyshire once Kev. I was relaxing on my bed-chair outside my Bivvy with a can of beer in my hand and several more waiting in the cool box. Snorkers cooking on the camp stove and radio playing in the background.

The bailiff came over for a chat and asked me if I had caught anything to which I replied "No mate, the Carp haven't disturbed me once".

They should rename it to camping, but once you have bought a season ticket it is far cheaper than paying for a campsite, beautiful surroundings and you can camp there as often as you like.

Just had a quick check and the season ticket now costs £100 for a year plus a £5 fee for keys to the gate. The ticket also covers several other lakes so cheap camping indeed. Unfortunately membership is full for this particular lake (Staunton Harold reservoir) but there are fisheries like this all over the country.

This thread has prompted me to look into a few in my local area now so thanks to Bill, great thread.

I used to match fish when I was young but got bored with it. These days I dabble with sea fishing but in fresh water I only Barbel, Tench, Pike and Trout really.

When I was a boy an old chap taught me how to tickle Trout (ooh er) and I was amazed when I caught my first one using this method.
Guddling

There are also some very rare fish found in the Lake district Barry as you probably know. Vendace are the rarest fish in the UK and only found in Derwentwater. There are also Powan (Schelly), Arctic Char and Feral Trout.

I knew about the Arctic Char but not heard of the others. Is a Feral Trout a bit of a nasty fecker then?

Ferox Trout

1705857352207.png

I caught one similar on Ullswater off the jetty at the marina. About that size maybe bigger. I remember thinking I really cant be arsed trying to figure out how to cook it and as there were no other takers I put it back. This was about 2005 I reckon so its probably the size of a Dolphin now. o_O

Of all the places to catch fish on Ullswater the Marina at Ullswater Marine was about the best place. Great place to fish as you could just lob a line off the side of the boat, forget about it and just get pissed with your mates and wait for the rod to start going mental and hope someone would catch it before it went over the side which it did on at least one occasion.

I caught one similar on Ullswater off the jetty at the marina. About that size maybe bigger. I remember thinking I really cant be arsed trying to figure out how to cook it and as there were no other takers I put it back. This was about 2005 I reckon so its probably the size of a Dolphin now. o_O

Of all the places to catch fish on Ullswater the Marina at Ullswater Marine was about the best place. Great place to fish as you could just lob a line off the side of the boat, forget about it and just get pissed with your mates and wait for the rod to start going mental and hope someone would catch it before it went over the side which it did on at least one occasion.

I've only fished Ullswater once and that was from a beach next to a layby. There was too much weed though and as I was spinning it was a pain in the arse so I gave up.

I love fishing from boats, you can get to places where nobody usually fishes from the bank. I'm test driving a new boat in a few weeks time when the dealer gets back from the Düsseldorf boat show.

Back in my “courting” days Sue used to work at her Uncle’s hotel in Keswick (the Keswick Hotel) during the holidays and I went up frequently to visit her. Her Uncle had a Flying Fifteen sailing boat on Bassenthwaite Lake where there was a thriving sailing club. Once I had managed to inveigle my way into the family I was allowed to take Sue sailing and after a while we were allowed to take part in the racing, even when her Uncle was tied up at the hotel. So many happy memories of great days out sailing on Bass Lake!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back