Basenthwaite lake (Lake District)

Fisherman

Whilst staying at the ccc site Braithwaite Village in the Lake District we walked two miles north to Basenthwaite Lake on a lovely sunny day.

IMG_7049.jpeg
IMG_7051.jpeg
IMG_7054.jpeg
IMG_7050.jpeg

Cracking pictures Bill.

How’s the road noise on that new site? Looks a bit close to the A66.

Cheers

H

Cracking pictures Bill.

How’s the road noise on that new site? Looks a bit close to the A66.

Cheers

H
What road noise never heard a thing. Braithwaite is our favourite site.
Possibly if you were down towards the exit you may hear some, but not towards the entrance. Our over 60 rate of £25 a night in winter is a real bargain for this site. Well worth a visit.

That's me getting rid of the bellows camera then!
Thats why I bought it Ral.
It takes fabulous shots at night even without flash.
Three lenses, normal, wide angle, and 3x optical.

I took photos at a 70th birthday party in dull light no flash.
The results were amazing.
I bought it from music magpie reconditioned for £564.
They had a deal on Black Friday.
I would never buy a new a new phone again, new it was £1100.
You have to buy the pro to get this camera.

Ah Bassenthwaite. Holds a lifetime of Memories for me that place. We used to spend large parts of the summer there when we were kids when my old friend Dennis acquired a 1967 Commer Caravenette in the mid 80s. We used to park up at the little harbour at Peel Wyke under the A66. The guy that ran it had a boat building business and allowed us to stay there FOC for as long as we wanted. Just a short walk to the Pheasant inn which of course was a favourite haunt. I got engaged to Michelle in the Pheasant in 1992. So many memories.

If you haven't discovered it yet there is a short walk to St Begas Church which is delightful on the quieter eastern shore. We were last there in November but sadly I Can no longer make the walk.

Ah Bassenthwaite. Holds a lifetime of Memories for me that place. We used to spend large parts of the summer there when we were kids when my old friend Dennis acquired a 1967 Commer Caravenette in the mid 80s. We used to park up at the little harbour at Peel Wyke under the A66. The guy that ran it had a boat building business and allowed us to stay there FOC for as long as we wanted. Just a short walk to the Pheasant inn which of course was a favourite haunt. I got engaged to Michelle in the Pheasant in 1992. So many memories.

If you haven't discovered it yet there is a short walk to St Begas Church which is delightful on the quieter eastern shore. We were last there in November but sadly I Can no longer make the walk.

Looking at the website for the pub Barry I bet the bar looks much as it did back then judging by the pictures. I bet the prices are a tad more now though, even considering inflation!

Looking at the website for the pub Barry I bet the bar looks much as it did back then judging by the pictures. I bet the prices are a tad more now though, even considering inflation!

Its quite a few years since we went in but not much had changed. The little pub with its fabulous varnished bar is a great place for a pint or seven. Had many a good night in there. Often stuffed with locals more than tourists or it used to be. Theres a huge stuffed Pike and a very large Perch hanging in the entrance vestibule. We would often sit outside there in the summer. Some big Pike in Bassenthwaite.

Its quite a few years since we went in but not much had changed. The little pub with its fabulous varnished bar is a great place for a pint or seven. Had many a good night in there. Often stuffed with locals more than tourists or it used to be. Theres a huge stuffed Pike and a very large Perch hanging in the entrance vestibule. We would often sit outside there in the summer. Some big Pike in Bassenthwaite.

I've never fished for Pike in the Lakes Barry, but I have caught some huge Perch up there as well as Trout.

I've never fished for Pike in the Lakes Barry, but I have caught some huge Perch up there as well as Trout.

Did you ever try eating Perch or Pike? Perch is really nice but you need a bigun as they are so bony. Some landlord in Ireland cooked an 8lb Pike we caught, marinated it in cider overnight. Bit like Cod but stronger.

Did you ever try eating Perch or Pike? Perch is really nice but you need a bigun as they are so bony. Some landlord in Ireland cooked an 8lb Pike we caught, marinated it in cider overnight. Bit like Cod but stronger.
Pike quite bony too ?

Last edited:
I've had pike from Semerwater, cooked within an hour of catching. Young lad around 14 years old caught it, I was sat outside of the mh and offered me some.
Very nice too.
I offered him a beer but he declined! - 😙

Nile perch....delicious😀

'You could probably feed an entire African village on one of them! :D

Not sure there are too many of them swimming about in Bassenthwaite though. :D

There is supposed to be a monster though!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back