Axle Weight change

Got a reply from SVTech. It can be done within reason by a similar exercise to down plating the gross weight as far as paperwork and weight tickets are concerned but they say DVLA aren’t involved. So, it can be done if I need to in the future which is what I wanted to know 👍

Got a reply from SVTech. It can be done within reason by a similar exercise to down plating the gross weight as far as paperwork and weight tickets are concerned but they say DVLA aren’t involved. So, it can be done if I need to in the future which is what I wanted to know 👍
Glad you got the reply on downplate..I have the same size 15 inch as you and dont want to downplate......how bad is the choice? My Continentals have loads left but now I've said that somethings bound to go wrong. :LOL:

Glad you got the reply on downplate..I have the same size 15 inch as you and dont want to downplate......how bad is the choice? My Continentals have loads left but now I've said that somethings bound to go wrong. :LOL:
Last time I bought tyres I had the choice of two different continental makes, I went for the four seasons. They have been on about 4 years now I think and masses of tread left even though they have done some miles. It was a worry for a while as I was unable to find the correct load ratted tyres anywhere. Took SVTech a couple of days to track them down though so just a pity I didn’t think to ask them sooner. A quick look at the tyres and you would think they aren’t rated high enough as the normal mark says 110/112 (I think it is) but they have an additional mark on the tyres that Conti Tech confirmed they were rated ok for my axle 👍

Last time I bought tyres I had the choice of two different continental makes, I went for the four seasons. They have been on about 4 years now I think and masses of tread left even though they have done some miles. It was a worry for a while as I was unable to find the correct load ratted tyres anywhere. Took SVTech a couple of days to track them down though so just a pity I didn’t think to ask them sooner. A quick look at the tyres and you would think they aren’t rated high enough as the normal mark says 110/112 (I think it is) but they have an additional mark on the tyres that Conti Tech confirmed they were rated ok for my axle 👍
Sounds strange that there should be a load rating indicated that would suggest one weight limit but another mark that would say something different?

If you didn't know (or anyone reading this didn't), the two marks - 110 and 112 - are for different fittings. 110 would be for a Dual tyre setup (i.e. 4 tyres on the axle) and 112 would be for a regular single tyre setup.
I am running 112 rated 15" Michelin Cross-Climates on my motorhome to match the 2000Kg axle (a pair of 112s would support upto 2240kg)

@Nabsim
After one to many bad experiences with SVTech I no longer use them for mine or when assisting customers with their vans.
Yes you can derate an Axle if you want to, it is typically included (if done properly) as part of the down plating process often for the very specific reason you mention of tyre loading.

I suggest you get in touch with Dee Thorne at Van Weight Engineering he is efficient, faster, far far more courteous and cheaper than Svtech.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back