Axle Weight change

Nabsim

Does anyone know if you can lower the axle weights on a van? My van has now been at three weights, (original 3850kgs, up plated to 4000kgs and now down plated to 3500kgs) but the axle weights have remained constant.

I have been restricted on tyres I could fit because of the 2400kgs weight of my rear axle and the fact it runs on 15” rims. I am not ready for tyres for a good while yet barring accidental damage so this is more just for interest at present. Never seen anything on down plating an axle so suspect you can’t but who knows different?

It's just a paper exercise I thought once it's been plated up.
It’s plating down I am interested in Kev. I know if going up there are things you can do that get the axle weights increased but not heard of anything to take them down again

From memory 225 would be the 3500kgs area. 4000kgs would be 235.
What's on yours

That's what I meant, I was going to do it with a van 3 years ago which was plated at 3850 and I was coming up to 70 and wasn't fussed about keeping the entitlement, I rang DVLA and I'm sure they said to just amend the V5 and send it off with a covering letter.

From memory 225 would be the 3500kgs area. 4000kgs would be 235.
What's on yours
225/70/R15. Only Continental manufacture a tyre that will take the rear axle loading that both me and SVTech could find. Not as bad as it sounds as I have always been happy with the ride and grip of Conti’s on my van. It’s more if they decide to stop making them or if AT’s become an option

That's what I meant, I was going to do it with a van 3 years ago which was plated at 3850 and I was coming up to 70 and wasn't fussed about keeping the entitlement, I rang DVLA and I'm sure they said to just amend the V5 and send it off with a covering letter.
It only altered the overall load weight though Kev not the axle weights. Just seems a bit out of kilter that half tonne reduction overall doesn’t drop anything off the axles sort of pro-rata. Of course it does make it easy to chose any of the three weight plates I now display if you want to change weights as it is just DVLA

You can certainly downplate a GVW and is a DIY exercise at minimal cost (cost of weightbridge ticket to prove you are below requested new weight), but I think what you are asking about would possibly be classified as downRATING and that is a bit more involved as I understand it and might need a company 'approved' by DVLA, such as SVTech to issue a document with the new weights to be sent to DVLA?

As there are no changes made, you might be able to get that weighbridge ticket with the total weight, and the two axle weights, and send in a request with the new required and downplated Axle weights? It seems as straightforward a request as downplating the GVW?

Any specific reason why you are concerned? Is it if some inspection says your tyres have a load rating below the max Axle capacity? I don't know if you have to legally have tyres that met the maximums of the vehicle or just ones that met/exceed what you are actually running at.

You can certainly downplate a GVW and is a DIY exercise at minimal cost (cost of weightbridge ticket to prove you are below requested new weight), but I think what you are asking about would possibly be classified as downRATING and that is a bit more involved as I understand it and might need a company 'approved' by DVLA, such as SVTech to issue a document with the new weights to be sent to DVLA?

As there are no changes made, you might be able to get that weighbridge ticket with the total weight, and the two axle weights, and send in a request with the new required and downplated Axle weights? It seems as straightforward a request as downplating the GVW?

Any specific reason why you are concerned? Is it if some inspection says your tyres have a load rating below the max Axle capacity? I don't know if you have to legally have tyres that met the maximums of the vehicle or just ones that met/exceed what you are actually running at.
It’s very limited choice of tyres for the rear axle on 15” rims David. Don’t need tyres currently but the tyre threads got me wondering if I could get something changed in the future. For some reason I thought it was later than it is so will send an email across to SVTech to ask 👍

It’s very limited choice of tyres for the rear axle on 15” rims David. Don’t need tyres currently but the tyre threads got me wondering if I could get something changed in the future. For some reason I thought it was later than it is so will send an email across to SVTech to ask 👍
Be interesting to hear. What you are saying is perfectly logical but seems to be ignored when it comes to processing downplating?

Why would you want to down plate an axle?

If the axle is plated at 2400kg then it is capable of safely carrying upto 2400 kg. Having it reduced 2000 kg would only limit the options for distributing the weight between the two (or three) axles.

Likewise there is no problem with having higher or loaded tyres.
If the tyres are less than 1/2 the axle load then the tyres effectively limit the max axle load.
If the tyres are more than 1/2 the axle load then the axle effectively limits the max tyre load.

All that matters is that the tyres don't exceed their max load; the axle doesn't exceed its max load and the vehicle doesn't exceed its max load.

Why would you want to down plate an axle?

If the axle is plated at 2400kg then it is capable of safely carrying upto 2400 kg. Having it reduced 2000 kg would only limit the options for distributing the weight between the two (or three) axles.

Likewise there is no problem with having higher or loaded tyres.
If the tyres are less than 1/2 the axle load then the tyres effectively limit the max axle load.
If the tyres are more than 1/2 the axle load then the axle effectively limits the max tyre load.

All that matters is that the tyres don't exceed their max load; the axle doesn't exceed its max load and the vehicle doesn't exceed its max load.
As already explained in this thread. Only one tyre manufacturer makes a tyre suitable for my van. No problem at present but if they decide to stop then it becomes a big problem. I suspect each year it becomes more likely as there will be less vehicles with this requirement

Does anyone know if you can lower the axle weights on a van? My van has now been at three weights, (original 3850kgs, up plated to 4000kgs and now down plated to 3500kgs) but the axle weights have remained constant.

I have been restricted on tyres I could fit because of the 2400kgs weight of my rear axle and the fact it runs on 15” rims. I am not ready for tyres for a good while yet barring accidental damage so this is more just for interest at present. Never seen anything on down plating an axle so suspect you can’t but who knows different?
Found this one I think, size is easy, it's the 2.4t load rating which kills it so I understand your issue now.

16'' might be another way to go?

if it was just the size these are the options.

As already explained in this thread. Only one tyre manufacturer makes a tyre suitable for my van. No problem at present but if they decide to stop then it becomes a big problem. I suspect each year it becomes more likely as there will be less vehicles with this requirement
Why would down plating the axle give you a better choice of tyre?

Any tyre suitable for a downplated axle would be OK with the current axle plate.

As I already explained max tyre load is not connected to max axle load.

Why would down plating the axle give you a better choice of tyre?

Any tyre suitable for a downplated axle would be OK with the current axle plate.

As I already explained max tyre load is not connected to max axle load.
So, if Conti stop producing their 115 rated tyre?

I replaced the original 225/75R16CP Michelin Agilis M&S Q116 tyres on 9th Feb 2022. Switched to Michelin Agilis 225/75R16 Alpin Winter Tyres with 121/120 R rating and ATS said the higher rating would be no problem. The 120 rating refers to dual mounting

Steve

I replaced the original 225/75R16CP Michelin Agilis M&S Q116 tyres on 9th Feb 2022. Switched to Michelin Agilis 225/75R16 Alpin Winter Tyres with 121/120 R rating and ATS said the higher rating would be no problem. The 120 rating refers to dual mounting

Steve
The problem Nabsim has is his van runs on 15" tyres, and they have very limited tyres which match the 2.4t max axle load, using a lower rated tyre might not be good news in an insurance claim, lowering the axle rating to 2.2t would give a much wider range of tyres which match the max axle and keep insurance company etc happy.

The problem Nabsim has is his van runs on 15" tyres, and they have very limited tyres which match the 2.4t max axle load, using a lower rated tyre might not be good news in an insurance claim, lowering the axle rating to 2.2t would give a much wider range of tyres which match the max axle and keep insurance company etc happy.
I know; I intended to add to the earlier post about the over rating of tyres not being a problem

Steve

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back