Automated external defibrillator

Should we have an AED? Would you donate to fund it?

• Yes to AED, Yes to Donation.

Votes: 72 91.1%
  • Yes to AED, No to Donation.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • No to AED.

Votes: 5 6.3%

• Total voters
defibrelater

I have been considering carrying an Automated external defibrillator in my van / trailer for use at our rallies / gatherings.

If a member does have a heart attack at one of our rallies / gatherings this device could literally be the difference between their life and death.

So I am setting up a poll.

Do you think it is a good idea to have an AED and would you be happy to donate towards the purchase costs of the u
having a heart problem in2010 ,i'm 70 yrs old now and still motorhoming. I think it's very good idea and a donation no problemo lets do it.Ciao.:wave::lol-053:

Same here, what training if any is required to use it ?

Hi,
Most modern AED 'speak' the instructions, Ive used one (on first aid training) and it was given to me with no warning. I just did what the machine told me, very simple and worth getting.

I think it's a great idea. I have seen first hand what the out come is of good and and bad resuscitation. It's the difference between seeing the patient going home or having to turn off the ventilator.

Why stop at one? If we can raise enough money why not have two or three that key members of the club could take on the different meets. I for one would be happy to pay extra.

With the average age of our regular rallying members I would have thought a defibrillator should be a standard piece of equipment(no offence intended,just an observation)).None of us are getting any younger and you never know what's around the corner,I'm prepared to make a contribution and have voted as such.It could be a potential life saver.

I understand that 1000 people died of a heart attack in the air last year because airlines do not generally have defibrillators and trained staff on board.

We don't want a similar, even if smaller, camping statistic to be published .................so Definitely YES, and yes to a donation as well.

Perhaps the downfall of such a great idea may be training. My wife is trained for our village defribllator and it isn't a one off session but regular retraining and updating. This is time consuming, so those that do partake for the benefit of others will be much appreciated and along with donations for the machine could there perhaps be a small financial recompense for these kindly folk. Free camping and a dinner out whenever they attend a meet as a trained operative???

Thank you to everyone who has posted in this thread or voted.

There are a few things for me to consider now.

At the moment I am leaning towards personally funding the defib without donations and without money from Wild Camping. This would then be fitted into a locker recessed into the trailer. The locker will have a code lock that all members at the meet will have access to. I cannot risk people not being able to wake me, or me being away from my van. This also goes for anyone else it could be left with. Seconds really do count with a heart attack, and wasting even one minute is not good enough.

I attend most of our forum meets and all the rallies.

I will keep you updated.

Why fund it yourself Phil?

53 people have indicated in the poll that they want a defibrillator accessible at rallies and are prepared to make a contribution to one.Just share it out between us all,it would only be the cost of a meal out.

just open it up phil and let those who wish to donate do so it will help out with the cost of it even if it only a quid it is a quid less that you will have to fund

how about a table sale at a meet donate something then proceeds go towards it expect we all will have something we bought and only used once or twice then bought a better one or just decided that we didn't need it after all

Last edited:
Still happy to contribute Phil.

Just an idea, how about having an optional contribution request at membership renewal time, maybe a button that asks for a fixed amount contribution, £5 or £10 for example?

I think that having such a device at meets is a great way to promote motorhome owners as responsible members of the wider community.

And it has the potential to save a life for a local resident which has to be good news.

Great Idea Phil . I agree that the community should donate to the unit and it would also give members at the meet a piece of mind knowing there is one available should it ever be needed . Also for those of us who carry a first aid kit and don't mind letting others use it in emergency, maybe a note in the window to let others know you carry one . Just a thought

donations could also be made at meets......big meet coming soon .....start it going there.......50+ vans. as suggested previously

donations of £5 to £10 pervan......or whatever a member wishes to contribute, either more or less......

what does a donation equal to........a bottle of wine, a few cans of beer, a bag of logs, half a dozen cream cakes...amount saved on camping fees. a night out for wine and dinner......etc etc.

LOOSER CRUISER i see on previous post has offered £100 to start it off.....marvelous generous gesture

Last edited:
Here is my problem.

I am happy to carry an AED in an easily accessible enclosure fixed to the trailer that I bring to meets. But this will only travel with me to the meets that I attend. I am not happy for it to be posted around the country and risk it being damaged.

This means that a member (or several members) may have donated towards an AED that is not available at a meet that they are attending. If one of them should need it, then this is an awful situation.

So it becomes difficult for me to accept donations for an AED that won't be at every meet. So then we can either have multiple AEDs or I can provide an AED myself.

Channa has suggested that I hold a raffle. There could be a prize donated to us, or some of the money could pay for the main prize. This is the option I am considering at the moment. We could also do fund raising at meets, and Edina has already offered to run a raffle at the Druridge meet.

The raffle idea seems to be a good option, we could have £1 tickets and people can buy as many as they wish. Then when we reach a set amount of sold tickets, we will do the draw.

Hopefully, we can fund two AEDs so that we can cover all meets.

Support the AED at meets idea, although we have only attended a couple.

Judy and I worked on a woman who collapsed at a BBQ last year and kept her heart pumping with CPR / resuscitation until two ambulances, five paramedics and loads of kit arrived. Talking to people afterwards NO ONE knew how do do CPR and a lot said there were AEDs where they worked but they did not have a clue how to use them or who would know.

If there were sessions at meets on what do do if someone collapses and is not breathing there would be tremendous benefits to the wider community. There are not always AEDs around and someone needs to know how to use one if there is, it does not make sense to take time reading instructions in what will be a stressful situation, best to just get on with CPR and resuscitation - but as has already been said you need to know how to do it properly. But is is not difficult.

The woman at the BBQ survived.

That was yon Looser Cruiser real diamond geezer who made the offer, trixie. He would get upset if I muscled in on his charitable, offer.

See post 19. :cool:

OOOOPS SO SORRY LOOSER CRUISER.......... I will try and edit the post.......

thank u so mch for pointing out my huge error runnach........

One thing I did suggest , and two ways of achieving it appealing to the good nature of the professional first aid trained instructors in our ranks or possibly British red cross /St Johns is perhaps a couple of meets with a learn first aid theme. Therefore good chance an up to date first aid person at any gathering. Though for clarity because some people cant read not suggesting a pre requisite to hold a meet .

Whilst not ignoring the idea of an AED, It occurs to me the likelihood of other conditions may arise, for example anaphylactic shock/ reaction from an insect bite or sting broken limbs , burns etc possibly more likely than a cardiac arrest. The same holds true mentioned by someone else it is a skill beneficial too in the communities we visit and useful in our personal daily lives.

Last week at my meet one member slipped and fell of a motorhome step and thankfully OK, but I am not sure any of us could have done too much other than call for an ambulance and heaven knows how long that would have took .

Even at meets with no AED half a clue to administering CPR has to be better than feeling helpless.

I guess I am suggesting we could incorporate something a bit more generic . your thoughts?

Channa

I'm more than happy to provide training. I have training dummies, training AED's and run an accredited centre for delivering prehospital care. We also teach the new CitizenAID course based on Run, Hell, Tell.

I will be at the Druridge meet and the Henley meet and if people want me to I will bring some training kit and first aid booklets with me and can host an ad hoc training workshop for anyone interested.

Helen

Druridge Bay Raffle

Sorry for any confusion. It appears a raffle would compete with a fund raising project Runnach is involved in, so I'll do one at another meet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry for any confusion. It appears a raffle would compete with a fund raising project Runnach is involved in, so I'll do one at another meet.

OH CHRIS>>>>Nooooooo

the tombola for the roof, as i read it, is being run at the visitor center......AS SAID AS I READ IT.

IAM JUST REPEATING WHAT I HAVE SAID ON THR OTHER THREAD.

THE RAFFLE IS FOR THE BENEFIT OF THE WILD CAMPING COMMUNITY.....AS IT IS A BIG MEET......IT IS A GOOD OPPORTUNITY FOR RAISING FUNDS FOR DEFIB> FOR THE BENEFIT OF ALL. .

PLEASE RECONSIDER......

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back