Approaching 70 what do I need to do?

Technically there is no limit, but the largest load transported by road is 640tonne, I expect there might have been a few restrictions on the route 😜 having surveyed routes for os loads into central London I can tell you it can be quite interesting trying to get around the various obstacles put in in the way.

The inconsistencies across Gov websites arises from 3 main areas:

1. Budget cutbacks that lead to recruitment of lower graded staff to reduce the salaries component
2. A loss of the more traditionally trained and experienced Parliamentary Draftspersons who had the expertise and the time to spot inconsistencies in the legislative guidance
3. More and more legislation being rushed through Parliament to deal with new areas of operations and/or evolutions of more traditional areas of activity [slight tangent to give an example: Companies Acts 1862, 1908, 1948, 1967, 1976, 1980, 1981, 2006, 2019, 2021 etc, reducing the timespan for revisions from 46 years to 1 year]

The pressures to keep up with the 'new models' of legislation are overwhelming, leaving little/no time for 'maintenance and servicing' until crisis point occurs and UK Government ends up in Court

Steve

I never understood why road duty was not just added to the price of fuel, hence old pensioners who dont go far pay little, but trucks both local and those who land of boats pay for the large distances they travel.
All required for old tax office/post office is when you buy or sell a vech you should have to pay say a £25 transfair charge, hence no outstanding parking tickets passed on etc.

1. Budget cutbacks that lead to recruitment of lower graded staff to reduce the salaries component
2. A loss of the more traditionally trained and experienced Parliamentary Draftspersons who had the expertise and the time to spot inconsistencies in the legislative guidance
3. More and more legislation being rushed through Parliament to deal with new areas of operations and/or evolutions of more traditional areas of activity [slight tangent to give an example: Companies Acts 1862, 1908, 1948, 1967, 1976, 1980, 1981, 2006, 2019, 2021 etc, reducing the timespan for revisions from 46 years to 1 year]

The pressures to keep up with the 'new models' of legislation are overwhelming, leaving little/no time for 'maintenance and servicing' until crisis point occurs and UK Government ends up in Court

Steve

I just thought it was the far left agenda to bring the country down. as its not a vote winner. As proved by biggerst spending on civil cervants than a any time.in history that includes war time
Back then it was millions now billions ££££££££££££ would be more if we used the Euro. Lol

Steve
Don't make excuses for them Steve, its bad management end of :)

Don't make excuses for them Steve, its bad management end of :)
Undoubtedly *some* elements of bad managemnt, Neil [and I say this as a former member of the Chartered Management Institute]. But, if the staff need the resources to do the job effectively, then the Managers need to have those resources available ab initio, instead of having to firefight perpetually

Steve

Undoubtedly *some* elements of bad managemnt, Neil [and I say this as a former member of the Chartered Management Institute]. But, if the staff need the resources to do the job effectively, then the Managers need to have those resources available ab initio, instead of having to firefight perpetually

Steve
It is still bad management though Steve, keep going up the chain

very useful to know in a discussion about using a possibly over 7.5t bus as a general motorhome. Thanks for that oh so helpfiul bit of data.
(and no, I have not clicked on the link as I really have totally no interest in doing so, sorry).
Well I'm very sorry.
Though you answered a bit on a mini bus with the D1 answer except you can't drive it for hire and reward and it can't be more than 12 mtrs in length if it's a rigid one though you say no restriction on length.
If the bus is over 30 years old on the day you drive it you can do this on a B licence but you're back to 8 seats max
It should be on here

Many moons ago I owned a couple of trucks so I have some idea of what should be..though the idiots in Westminster keep moving the goalposts.

Well I'm very sorry.
Though you answered a bit on a mini bus with the D1 answer except you can't drive it for hire and reward and it can't be more than 12 mtrs in length if it's a rigid one though you say no restriction on length.
If the bus is over 30 years old on the day you drive it you can do this on a B licence but you're back to 8 seats max
It should be on here

Many moons ago I owned a couple of trucks so I have some idea of what should be..though the idiots in Westminster keep moving the goalposts.
again, that document specifies NO maximum weight for a Minibus driven on a D1 licence, so any general limitations there may be on weight (such as 44t or the pointlessly quoted 150t) is nothing to do with having a D1 licence from all the info I have seen on official UK sites - as opposed to spurious claims on forums from certain people who apparently know better but provide nothing to back it it as yet.
And the" 30 years old you can drive on a B" is again irrelevant to the discussion on what can you drive on a D1 license, isn't it. why would you care if you can drive a 30 year old bus on a B if you have "better than a B" anyway?

PS... I don't say no restriction on length - I am just quoting what the govt. website says (which is the 8M restriction is removed if D1 granted before a certain time). There will obviously be other overriding restrictions that will apply - such as your lovely 150t weight (which is a restriction, albeit an irrelevant one).

Last edited:
very useful to know in a discussion about using a possibly over 7.5t bus as a general motorhome. Thanks for that oh so helpfiul bit of data.
(and no, I have not clicked on the link as I really have totally no interest in doing so, sorry).
Well I'm very sorry.
Though you answered the bit on a coach/bus with the D1 answer except you can't drive it for hire and reward and it can't be more than 12 mtrs in length if it's a rigid one though you say no restriction on length.
Well at least I can't now I've give up my C and D1 classes.

Ken Bruce has a PCV licence for when he drives his old Routemasters, I reckon he wouldn't have taken that test if he didn't need to so I suspect driving a converted double decker with only 8 seats wouldn't be allowed on a D1 licence. However, how much do they actually weigh? Maybe it could be down plated to 7.5 tonne if most of the seats were taken out. Would DVLA be willing to reclassify it as a motorhome rather than a "van with windows"? Then you'd be fine on a C1.

Right the journey so far. I got an optician appointment with Boots as Specsaver was booked up. That move saved me some £10 btw.

I then had a new knee fitted and this morning attended the surgery for a fasted appointment where she measured me took blood and pee and blood pressure. I am left a bit bemused as to whether that was the medical or whether I will need to see a GP?

B2

Right the journey so far. I got an optician appointment with Boots as Specsaver was booked up. That move saved me some £10 btw.

I then had a new knee fitted and this morning attended the surgery for a fasted appointment where she measured me took blood and pee and blood pressure. I am left a bit bemused as to whether that was the medical or whether I will need to see a GP?

B2
No, you need to have a medical where the Doctor completes the relevant section of the D4 form which has to be sent in to DVLA as part of your application. They check your eyesight meets requirements (with glasses if worn), take your blood pressure etc and ask you lots of questions about your health. Your own Doctor often charges over £100 for this which is why most use D4drivers or similar.

Back