Approaching 70 what do I need to do?

I know I have to do something with DVLA but what?
if you want to keep your C1 and D1, you need to sort out medicals and stuff.

If you have no intention to drive >3.5t vans, you can just renew without any extra documentation and you lose the C1 and D1. when you go through the renewal form, one question is if you are doing a age 70 renewal and if you select that I guess you get asked various specific questions (I renewed my licence last week but didn't click the 'age 70' question.

If you want to keep the higher categories - C1 and D1 for LGV over 3.5 ton or minibuses with 8 - 16 seats you need to get the form from Post Office or can be downloaded - form D4. Arrange a medical and send it all off by post with your old licence to DVLA.
If you don't want to retain your grandfather rights to the higher categories then you can renew online.
It can be done at any time from 90 days before expiry - but as soon as they issue the new one it will only run from issue date so the closer to renewal date you do it then the longer the new one will be valid.

talking driving licenses, I renewed mine last week and when I was checking no categories had disappeared, I noticed the following:

for C1 - 'Medium Sized Vehicles'
You can drive:
Vehicles weighing between 3,500 and 7,500 kg (with a trailer up to 750 kg), with no more than 8 passengers and driver
Ok. we all know that ... up to 7.5t if you have a C1

but for the D1 which any C1 holder will also have I would expect ...
D1 - Minibuses
You can drive:
Vehicles with no more than 16 passenger seats and driver and with a maximum length not exceeding 8 metres with a trailer up to 750 kg if 'valid from' date shown on the licence is on or after 19 January 2013. If date shown is before 19 January 2013 not limited to 8 m restriction
So there is NO weight limit if you have a bus, and effectively if grandfather rights, NO length limit either.

If you are doing a self-conversion, is there any reason why you could not convert any size coach you wanted (maybe release your inner Cliff Richard and convert an old Routemaster for your Summer Holiday?), change the number of seats to 16 (or less) and then you don't have to keep to a 7.5t weight if you don't want to, as long as you keep the vehcile registered as a minibus and not change to a PHGV?

With standard car License the bus has to be 30 years or older and no more than 8 passengers

If the coach privanal is on your license can you keep it when over 70 yoa?

If the coach privanal is on your license can you keep it when over 70 yoa?
If you need D1 then you would have to go for medical/renewal same as C1. If its over 30 years old then no you are goo with car license

With standard car License the bus has to be 30 years or older and no more than 8 passengers
I am talking about retaining the D1 same as the C1 though.
With a D1 it looks like not restricted to any weight or length on a bus as long as it has no more than 16 seats.

I think they make it difficult and confusing and over priced, So you just give up .your right to travel by any means.

They Swansea get the road tax twice on most SH sold cars now and charge for photo ID.every 10 years. Workers / LGV every five.. also since tony 25 years is now at 40. Ish years

I know someone that got a invoice £80. for not telling them the vehicle was parked up off road.

I thought this was a non profit company ! 41.1 million entries just to tax them ? 50 million photos
Screenshot_20240609_125008_Google.jpg

Screenshot_20240609_124031_Google.jpg
Screenshot_20240609_124224_Google.jpg

Screenshot_20240609_125008_Google.jpg

I am talking about retaining the D1 same as the C1 though.
With a D1 it looks like not restricted to any weight or length on a bus as long as it has no more than 16 seats.
D1 is limited to 7.5t, always take .gov pages with a pinch of salt as vital info is often missing.

D1 is limited to 7.5t, always take .gov pages with a pinch of salt as vital info is often missing.
where is that detailed? the only info on weight listed for Minibuses is for D1E

"Vehicles with no more than 16 passenger seats and driver and with a maximum length not exceeding 8 metres with a trailer over 750 kg, provided that the Maximum Authorised Mass (MAM) of the combination formed does not exceed 12,000 kg"
and even that 12,000Kg does not apply as have endorcement 119 - "Weight limit does not apply"

So if THAT is what is stated in the "Vehicles you can drive" information on the government website documenting driver and vehicle info , why should I not believe it is correct? should I believe a comment from a internet forum that gives no proof to contradictory information instead?

where is that detailed? the only info on weight listed for Minibuses is for D1E

"Vehicles with no more than 16 passenger seats and driver and with a maximum length not exceeding 8 metres with a trailer over 750 kg, provided that the Maximum Authorised Mass (MAM) of the combination formed does not exceed 12,000 kg"
and even that 12,000Kg does not apply as have endorcement 119 - "Weight limit does not apply"

So if THAT is what is stated in the "Vehicles you can drive" information on the government website documenting driver and vehicle info , why should I not believe it is correct? should I believe a comment from a internet forum that gives no proof to contradictory information instead?
So you believe the D1 has no weight limit, great I can drive a 1000tonne bus, or you could Google the question. As I stated .gov is riddled with mistakes I have had to point mistakes to them, this has sometimes resulted in them correcting the mistakes.

So you believe the D1 has no weight limit, great I can drive a 1000tonne bus, or you could Google the question. As I stated .gov is riddled with mistakes I have had to point mistakes to them, this has sometimes resulted in them correcting the mistakes.
What I am saying is you are pointing out to me - and to lots of others it seems - that there are mistakes, but not bothering to say what the correct info is and your source of data.
I could tell you I know the maximum speed limit in the UK is 180MPH and state it is a fact. doesn't make it right does it just becuase I said it. not interested unless you back it up.

ATM I'm on my phone and haven't worked out how to do links, maybe in the next couple of months I might sus it out, meantime as I said the info is online. Why didn't some civil servant put the maximum limit in the description? Probably because they thought it unnecessary, or hadn't the foggiest idea as in the pages I've had to correct them on.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back